Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

telemark binding for resort skiing

Poster: A snowHead
My partner started telemark skiing not long ago - what's the best telemark binding for resort skiing? NTN? The step in function is a godsend. She's looking for a binding that will give her the ability to lock her heels so frankentele? But that'll make it quite heavy? I know moonlight tele rando or meidjo with tech toe could also do the job but not sure if those bindings are reliable for resort skiing...although it's probably okay as she's not really an aggressive skier.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If resort skiing then the short answer is to go with NTN Freedom.

The NTN Freeride is also an option but IMO doesn't ski quite as nicely as the Freedom - kind of hits a hard stop as you flex forward.

TTS systems such as Moonlight are great if you are touring but the lack of brakes / step in and the fact that release is not well controlled as it coupled to the tension of your heelpiece makes it less suited to the resort (although I ski mine for pretty much everything because I like the feel of the flex).

Meidjo has some issues which (from what I can tell) seem to come from the fact that the springs don't have enough travel, resulting in breakages.

Yes, you can use a tech heelpiece with the Moonlight (and in principle with any TTS system provided that you don't have the tele heel on as well). I have seen people use a tech heel with NTN as well but the tele 'claw' would mean that the release would be compromised when skiing with a locked heel.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 5-01-16 17:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
P.S. If you want the opportunity to switch to locked heels you could always mount the bindings on quiver killers for a quick switch, but obviously not easy to do while out for the day.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@euanovsky, I just got some Freerides (actually from @BenA, )....I'd say get some of those, easy entry, easy exit, brakes and you can ski alpine on the easily without a heel piece.

Mrs Ski is still on Hammerheads and does not want to change - and just skied two weeks on them without change. Frankly I think "Frankentele" misses the point wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Glad you are enjoying them @ski!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@euanovsky, +1 to most of what @BenA says but I would add

I ski both Freedom and Freeride (and cable) across a range of skis all fitted with QK's. I don't see a discernible difference in resort. Clearly the Freedoms are preferable for touring and any backcountry but the Freeride is more robust (and heavy) and ultimately would be choice in resort.

With correct screw sets it really is a five minute operation to switch bindings to alpine (but why would you!!!) with the QK's.

Regarding the Meidjo, the earlier versions were certainly susceptible to breakage, I saw a pair in Serre Chev last year with the plastic sheared off. However several changes have been made and the new version which I was fortunate to test at the FIS Telemark opener in Hintertux in November are quite superb. But be warned, they are a tech binding so maybe not for resort and they are very expensive!!!

Tele Ho

Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski wrote:
@euanovsky, I just got some Freerides (actually from @BenA, )....I'd say get some of those, easy entry, easy exit, brakes and you can ski alpine on the easily without a heel piece.

Mrs Ski is still on Hammerheads and does not want to change - and just skied two weeks on them without change. Frankly I think "Frankentele" misses the point wink

Still skiing my HH's and no plans to change any time soon, if they or the boots ever need replacing, I'll go NTN Freedom, or the new Outlaw if it's niggle-free by then Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BenA, Oh yes --- they do fill up a bit with snow though -- don't they ? I can't wait to put them through a GS course Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ski - snow underfoot? I used to have that issue and then it just sort of stopped happening. Not sure why but there was some chatter on the teleforums about it being technique dependent.

Some friends of mine had good success with putting some thin crushable foam underfoot to just prevent the snow getting in when the foot was up. Seemed to work well for them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@euanovsky, what a question!

All depends on what you (Mrs Euanovsky) likes and what you doesn't and of course that might change. The only way to find out is to suck it and see... which is notoriously difficult with tele bindings as (almost) nowhere has them to rent in any great variety (AFAIK).

What has she tried so far and what did she like / dislike? To what extent is price an issue?(1) Do you like dealing with broken bindings?(2) Do you tinker?(3) High stance?(4) Low?(5) Heavy(6)or light?(7) Does she really wants to fix her heel and is this a must have (if so why)(Cool.

1. If price is an issue get whatever you can that is reasonable on eBay - cobras, targas or hammerheads.

2. If you relish the challenge of dealing with broken rods and the gearfreakery of sourcing bits and bobs to carry round just in case then Rottefella Cobras are the way to go. Targas might also shed a screw or two (although they have a spare under the heel- nice) and Hammerhead heel pieces occasionally break.

3. Cobras are a tinkerers delight- not only do they break (and then need fixing) but with minimal effort and exactly the right screwdriver you can easily move bindings around- this is just about the most fun I ever have in my carport.

4. High stance- Hammerheads or similar or NTNs or Meijos or depending on weight lots of other cable bindings

5. Low- Targa Elle?

6. & 7. I'd guess is isn't likely to be an issue as female and so unlikely to be as lardy as me

8. If you/she really really wants a fixed heel on a binding you can actually buy in a shop somewhere it will a) cost loads b) not be available in many shops and c) be a meidjo I think.

Of course you could magic up some exotic home-brew designs (see Ben A's previous posts and drool).

(short fat (heavy) bloke- telemarking for about 7 years. Bindings owned: Rotefella Cobras, G3 Targas, Hammerheads. Bindings also skied - NTN freeride. Bindings drooled over- Meidjos (on some Rabbit on the roof skis- )

If money was no object I think I'd go for Medijos and cross fingers they didn't break.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lots of cheap cable bindings on ebay.
Mainly because serious / full time tele skiers seem to be on NTN these days.

2 thoughts

1) It generally seems to be accepted that Telemark bindings don't need a release function... Generally there is enough movement in free heel bindings to protect against most (but not all) falls. Ligament injuries seem to be lower for telemark skiers. However would be interested in hearing alternate views ?

2) On a stiff telemark binding you can happily alpine without locking the heel down.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Ligament injuries seem to be lower for telemark skiers. However would be interested in hearing alternate views ?

I have a copy of John & Bonny's (Telemark Ski Co) equipment guide - this is their view on use of release bindings
Quote:
© The Telemark Ski Co. & Bonny Masson Version: Dec. 2015

As skis have got wider and boots stiffer and higher, knee injuries can occur as in alpine (downhill) skiing. We would never ski without a release binding and have not done so since the early 1990’s when basic release kits became available.

We know a number of telemarkers who did not use releases and insisted they were OK….until the one fall that damaged their knees. 2 of these were instructors (but not working for us).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thanks all for your replies. I have got given a pair of moonlight tele rando binding as christmas present (I'd prefer meidjo for touring or NTN for resort but since I didn't pay I can't really complain!) It'll be the first telemark binding that I own and I think moonlight should be decent enough. I've not skied in them yet so don't know how they perform. I'll probably spend quite a lot of time in resort with them in the foreseeable future (unless I can find an excuse to ditch my girlfriend...)

As for her, I guess she wanted the lock heel feature really for the peace of mind that she could also ski alpine whenever she wants. I think releasibility is probably more important than anything else when learning (and/or in resort) so I'd probably get her to try on ntn or 7tm. TTS is attractive as we could eventually go touring together (and save the cost of buying another set of bindings in future) but not sure how it performs in groomed snow.

Interestingly enough lots of people suggested meidjo! That would obviously be my (her?!) choice since you could just add a tech heel to make it lockable although from the various reviews on the internet I really doubt meidjo can hold up high speed resort skiing...

@andyman, you mentioned QK - how does that work really? I thought it's more for having one binding for multiple skis rather than having multiple binding on one pair of skis? I too find having the option of using multiple binding in the same pair of skis attractive. Could I fit QKs retrospectively? Did you fit the QK yourself or did you get someone else to do it for you?

I realised after years of skiing, my technical knowledge of all the ski mechanics is still embarrassingly little! Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@euanovsky, I've fitted numerous skis with QK's and you can easily remove current bindings and drill the existing holes for QKs.

I mainly use the option for multiple bindings per ski (eg alpine; tele; A.T)

Makes life easier if you use a pillar drill so you drill accurately perpendicular to the ski
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@geoffers, does drilling multiple holes on the ski weaken the structure of the skis? Also wouldn't snow built up in the holes when they are not in used?

Also out of curiosity, why do you use multiple bindings per ski instead of one binding for multiple skis? I would probably do that too since I really like my blizzard brahma Very Happy
snow conditions
@haggistrap Personally I think that arguments that tele does not need release are not well founded. In particular, for those touring offpiste with the risk of getting caught in a slide with skis that won't come off then some level of release is definitely a benefit. NTN is not perfect but I'll take it over a binding with no release. With TTS I'm at least confident that it would come off in an avalanche.

@euanovsky - regarding your comment about TTS being attractive so that you can tour together, I'd say that touring on NTN freedoms is fine. Not quite dynafit, but you can do big multiday tours on them just fine. Ultimately if you are looking for TTS efficiency for the tour then you're are probably going to want matching lightweight skis which aren't the best in a resort anyway so I say start with an NTN resort setup which will do just fine for the occasional tour and then get a whole new TTS setup if you find yourself doing more than a week of touring /season.
snow report
@euanovsky - crossed with your last post.

Drilling extra holes won't weaken the skis provided that they are reasonably spaced.
Snow in the holes is not a problem

You can use QK's in both ways: to allow different bindings per ski or one binding to switch between skis. For example, I have 2 bindings (NTN and TTS) and I can put those on any of my 4 pairs of skis depending on what I'm going to be doing / snow conditions. (It helps that my TTS uses the same mount pattern as NTN so I reuse the holes Smile.
snow report
BenA wrote:
@haggistrap Personally I think that arguments that tele does not need release are not well founded. In particular, for those touring offpiste with the risk of getting caught in a slide with skis that won't come off then some level of release is definitely a benefit. NTN is not perfect but I'll take it over a binding with no release. With TTS I'm at least confident that it would come off in an avalanche.

Avalanche risk is a very valid point (also applicable to snowboards).

I am a part time telemarker (usually on dry slope or random days in Scotland) - so for that purpose cheap second hand cable bindings mounted on old pair of skis work well. However lack of release does concern me a little. If I was telemarking majority of my days on snow then NTN or TTS would likely be the way to go.
ski holidays
@euanovsky, Others here may disagree -- but I've never seen anyone (especially beginners) ski that well on 7TM --- so ditto @BenA, NTN is the better way to go. In Tignes over Christmas I did some skinning with my Freerides -- yep they are heavy, and not nearly as efficient as a Tech toe -- but having brakes and not leashes made them much less faffy when taking skins off and on -- I always terrified when I take skins of a pair of skis with leashes that they will clear off down the hill without me !
ski holidays
ski wrote:
@euanovsky, -- I always terrified when I take skins of a pair of skis with leashes that they will clear off down the hill without me !

You need extending B&D Leashes which stay attached even when attaching/removing skis:
snow conditions
@spyderjon, these leashes look really long - will they drag in the snow when you ski down?
latest report
I think a lot of the issues with the Meidjo were with the first version. I had a decent chat with the owner of Sport Pete in St Anton; he broke a pair of the first version of the Meidjo's, but was a lot happier with the reliability of the Meidjo 2. I had a chance to try them, and found they ski very similarly to the NTN Freeride, which I consider a good thing. As someone who's broken the toe-piece on 4 NTN bindings (and 2 Rottefella 412s and 1 7TM), the tech toe-piece of the Meidjo is very appealing as it has the potential to be more robust
snow report
@viv, how did you manage to break the toe piece of so many bindings?? Was it during going up or coming down?
ski holidays
@daredevil,
Quote:

these leashes look really long - will they drag in the snow when you ski down?

This is my take on using the B&D leashes - I have them attached to my boots (and its easy to switch them from AT boots to Tele boots etc), then clip to the ski before stepping into the bindings.

I prefer doing it this way than having them attached to the ski, as they don't flap around when carrying the skis.

No, there's no problem with dragging in the snow when skiing, but they have masses of length so even putting skins on etc is possible without unclipping the leash, which is great where there's the possibility on a steepish slope of dropping/losing a ski

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 6-01-16 20:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
daredevil wrote:
@spyderjon, these leashes look really long - will they drag in the snow when you ski down?

Nope, they work really well.
snow conditions
Quote:

@viv, how did you manage to break the toe piece of so many bindings?? Was it during going up or coming down?

I ski quite enthusiastically at times. All were when going down, and only once at a significantly higher speed than intended.
All but one were when skiing normally, so most likely the breakage was due to fatigue - a couple were partial failures (cracks rather than breaks). The other (one of the Rottefella 412s) was between a tumble over a rock band, and coming to a stop ~100 vertical metres lower
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy