Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time in Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!
My dad and I are going to Chamonix on 24th Feb for a week, it's our first time in this resort and it's a bit different to what we're used to.

We're both intermediate/advanced skiers but we've mainly stuck to large connected piste resorts, think Les Arc or Three Valleys. Starting to get bored of staying on piste, so looking to have a bit of an adventure with Chamonix this year.

Would be so grateful if you knowledgeable people could give us some advice, our skiing experience is limited to larger connected resorts so have quite a few questions!

1) what's a good itinerary for the week given that it's all a bit spread out, particular areas we should be aiming to hit? Definitely want to do Vallee Blanche, but heard there are other good off piste and on piste routes dotted around!
2) should we get a car? We have transport from the airport included so we won't have a car when we get to the town, would public transport do or should we hire one in Chamonix for a few days?
3) is it worth going across to Italy/Switzerland for a day or two? I see some places are included in the mont blanc unlimited pass which I think we will get for Vallee Blanche anyway?

Thanks so much in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Stella_l, welcome to Snowheads snowHead

Quite a bit to unpick in there, I'll certainly be happy to have a go at a few thoughts but not till tomorrow night!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Stella_l, sorry if I'm wrong, but my impression is you don't have any avalanche safety training? In which case that's probably your starting point - get the necessary safety equipment and learn how to use it.

For someone with no experience guide is probably the best way to go. Cheaper if you can find a guided group to join.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Stella_l, welcome to snowHeads.

A car would help get best use of your time and the MB unlimited area pass. Worth checking whether rental from Geneva airport would be better value than hiring in Chamonix.

If you’re looking for challenging skiing I’d definitely include Argentiere on your itinerary. Megeve/St Gervais has more relaxed skiing with some wonderful scenery.

A trip to Italy is easy enough, even if driving through MB tunnel can be tedious. Worth it if the weather is better there, if not good on the French side. Or just if you want a change of vibe.

If Verbier is included on your pass it would be worth a day trip. Needs an early start, over an hour to drive there.

Important to check rental car Ts & Cs about cross border travel.

Chamonix valley has plenty to offer. Very different to 3Vs and Paradiski. The lift system is relatively slow and clunky. It’s a proper old mountain town with a great atmosphere. Interested to learn what you think of it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks so much for the excellent replies everyone!

You're correct, we haven't done any avalanche training yet, will get on it! Also definitely going to look at getting a guide, from some quick googling looks like most places offer Vallee Blanche days Smile any particular recommendations? The places I've seen so far all look pretty similar
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you want to seriously get into off-piste I would book onto a course, particularly if there is fresh snow in the forecast.

If not a car and a Cham Unlimited pass would let you do one day in each of
- Brevent/Flegere
- Le Tour
- Grands Montets
- Vallee Blanche
- Courmayeur
- St Gervais/Megeve
- Les Houches
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Off-piste (with the appropriate guiding/training) not a bad idea as it's French school holidays and lifts and pistes will be busy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Stella_l, if budget permits, I'd hire a guide for some or all of the week. If you can find a guide who also had ski instructor qualifications, that would be even better at your stage.
Joining a group would be cheaper but there's always a risk that the others have different goals/ability from you
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Stella_l, welcome to SH's.

Are you restricted to school holiday/peak season time - or was this a conscious choice?

If you wanted to try off piste I would have done it in Les Arcs or 3V first tbh. Best going to Chamonix for more serious stuff generally.

VB is good fun/experience - not particularly difficult skiing.

The couple of times I went there (one week and one long weekend many years ago) it was enough getting around the different skiing areas, doing the VB without an Italy/Swiss jaunt.

The busses are a bit of a pain and will be a super busy week but having a car can be a pain too. No good options particularly.

Les Houches, Le Tour are cruisey areas from what I recall. Brevent/Flegere - standard intermediate terrain, Argenterre - best for lift served off piste.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Stella_l, Lots of good stuff up above.

Direct questions:

- a car would help and I can't imagine hiring in Chamonix would be cheaper than any thing else. Hire in Geneva.

- there's quite enough to do in a week without Italy (or CH) but worth considering Courmayeur on days when it's really mucky in Chamonix but sunny on the other side of the range.

- check out e.g. https://www.chamex.com/pages/mountain-guides-ski-guiding-and-alpine-climbing-courses-in-chamonix-mont-blanc for VB trips and other off piste-ish courses. There are other companies but Cham-Ex have a good rep.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Courmayeur looks light on snow right now, and it's a few quid return to drive over there. Verbier and ovronnaz you can drive to for free. But I'd focus on what's outside your door. Only been here with a car so don't know about busses, but they are there and must work.

I'd say it's hard to avoid off piste in the real world. I never felt the need to be "guided", but if that's your thing then you can buy that here. I see those groups, all following along. I'd hate it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agree with @under a new name, that Chamex are a good option for intro to off piste.

If you have the budget then a course is a good move. The jump from on piste to off piste skiing requires a combination of ski skills (instructor) and mountain craft (guide). Ideally you want to be learning from someone who can teach you both.

Car is helpful but not mandatory.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Also avalanche academy are good for an intro to avalanche awareness.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Final thing. I'd rent almost everything you need first off. I'd be inclined to buy my own climbing harness. Something lightweight that can go on without taking the skis off is key.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@phil_w, Courmayeur is currently totally fine on piste, off piste much like anywhere sub ~2,700. MBU gets you (I think) a cheap tunnel return and you can get a much nicer lunch ... Maison Vieille, Ciecco

@Stella_l, If you haven't pre-booked kit, Concept Pro behind the Aiguille can rent you anything you might need. Disclosure, family have interests.
snow conditions
Going to Cham April 1-7 for the first time. We booked a week long “off piste camp” through Chamonix Experience. Anyone have restaurant/apres recommendations? Also anything we should do in Chamonix outside of skiing? Thanks!
ski holidays
Quote:

anything we should do in Chamonix outside of skiing

Go straight up for a wee rando directly out of Amnesia at chucking out time at 06h00 that you went into at 23h59 in the previous day's kit? Dancing in ski boots always a joy.

@npennington85, search function will reveal current recommendations that I can't be bothered re-typing snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy