Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would you recommend buying 2nd hand skiis from a ski shop in Italy at a resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It will be in EUR (vs. GBP as I'm UK based) and will have the opportunity to try a few on the slopes before settling on a skii to carry me for the next few years ahead?
Or you rekon its better to get a discounted ski (down to GBP300ish) with bindings in a shop in UK before heading out there?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I brought a pair of X-Race Salomon + bindings last year in Saalbach. They had only been used for a few days, and after renting them for the week, I purchased them at a very good price indeed (with no rental cost charged).

Note that the rental shops purchase the skis in bulk, and get a very good price from the distributors, I would imagine better than regular retail shops. So they are often more than happy to sell them to you.

Trying out skis on the slopes is really, really the way to go. It's a very personal choice, and finding a pair of skis that work for you is key. Most shops will let you try-out different skis over a week or so. I would also do some research online to look at reviews and such like. Each season you will find that a few different models make it to the top of the pile and get universally good reviews — so try out these models for sure. Try out different lengths as well.

Then if you have your eyes on a pair to purchase, you can make a deal with the rental shop. For starters you can ask them to not charge you any rental for the week; and then remember, they are getting at least a 50% discount from the distributer before VAT, maybe even more, 60-70% perhaps (not sure). So check prices online, get your calculator out, and start haggling.

Obviously, you should try and get a pair that look as new as possible. Maybe they have the exact same model but in better nick — even brand new perhaps. Just ask. You can also go around the other resort shops and get comparable prices; but then you won't get your rental refunded by the shop you rented from. Also check internet prices, but I doubt they will be as low; but do remember you can easily purchase from other EU internet shops when in the UK.

The best way to get a great deal is to walk into a shop and tell them the exact make and model of ski and binding you want, and tell them you are walking around and ask them for their very best price. Make it simple for them, so it's just an easy sale.

Then, when you have found the lowest price, ask what the discount is for cash! They should knock-off some more as they can be charged 2, 3, 4% or more by the credit card companies. Just pop to the ATM.

If they skis are not brand new, ask for a full wax and sharpening to be included. Then ask for a free ski case/bag to seal the deal Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bear in mind the cost of getting them back to the UK (if your are flying...)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Be aware that hire skis may appear to be the same as you'd buy elsewhere but they could be inferior in their construction, despite identical top sheet graphics etc.

I definitely wouldn't buy them at the end of the season either; just wait a couple more weeks and you can grab them out of the skip! Laughing

Lots of people think they've got a bargain (which can happen) when in actual fact they've been flogged a dead horse and find out the hard way upon taking them in somewhere for a service back home. Be careful...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Be aware that hire skis may appear to be the same as you'd buy elsewhere but they could be inferior in their construction, despite identical top sheet graphics etc.

Can you qualify this?
I am totally unaware of this practice by manufacturers.
I appreciate they make skis specifically for hire but I'm not so sure about the identical top sheet and graphics.

I bought second hand skis when I moved here in 2006 they did me well until I let them somewhere after an aprés ski session!
Then in about 11/12 I replaced them with some ex-demo K2 rictors. These are now ready to be put on the wall after about 250 days, quite a few base grinds, and a hell of a lot of general abuse.

These have been replaced by some ex rental GS skis picked up from a jumble sale for €30.... with a lot of time and love spent on repairing them!... (although I'm not expecting them to last too long... maybe 60 days or so if I'm lucky!)

So... my advice, just have a good look at what is on offer and ask if you can try them first (which shouldn't be a problem with a pre-used ski).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
albob wrote:
bear in mind the cost of getting them back to the UK (if your are flying...)

And check you can get your skis on the flight! There is always a chance the ski carriage limit has been reached for your return flight. If you are confident of buying in resort, pre-book ski carriage.

As said already, try different skis before deciding. We were in VT and my wife fell in love with some Volkl 4* even though the binding broke. She was not looking to buy skis, but tried to buy them but they were the only ones in the shop and would take too long to fix. Went on line when we returned and found a 2nd hand pair from a ski hire shop in Cumbria! Less than half price and as good as new. She has now upgraded to Volkl Estrella and still loves them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@flangesax, certainly was the case in the late 80s - early 90s ... An interesting trade off: inferior construction but bigger edges (so longer life).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The big difference between ex-hire skis and retail ones will be the bindings. Hire skis often have bigger, heavier, bulky bindings which allow for a range of settings to suit different boot and foot sizes. This may or may not be disadvantageous to you.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Chris Bish, good point.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are plenty of top quality second hand skis for sale in the uk that have had very little use, ( i even have some old Xwing 10s that have only done 15 weeks and are pretty good, i would sell them for about £50 !! ). So if i were you id rent in resort till you find what you like then buy in the uk on the second hand market.. The ones in resort coukd have had a hard life !!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Chris Bish, The binding thing only really matters for flat skis. System bindings don't seem to be much different between retail and rental these days (unlike some hideous rental bindings of years past). I think some high end (racing basically) skis have cheaper and lower DIN bindings in rental guise but most piste skis seem pretty much the same.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
But, @yorkshirelad, unless you're local to them it's hard to verify the condition of them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Many thanks for all the input chaps, appreciated.
@PeDaSp, thank you for the "wiki-how" guide, it really shaped my approach here in Italy - Cervinia. Did exactly that, rented and tried out 3 different models in 6 days, and instead of paying the EUR125 rental fee, this figure was knocked off my final agreed purchase price.

So for general public knowledge and indication here is how the numbers crunched for me:
- On the internet, the skis I want were £390 in UK, so roughly EUR540 for a brand new pair with bindings.
- The ski shop guy showed the invoices for the ski I wanted off him. He paid EUR470 + VAT, so EUR573 in total at the time. On the same invoice on his computer screen there was also the "actual market rate" or RRP: which was EUR770 + VAT, so 980 or 990Euros.
- We shook hands on 450Euro cash (roughly £330). This figure covers/includes the "rental". And a free wax service as well (which in that shop had a EUR8 value).
- The skiis were in pretty good condition, probably had about 24-30 days of rental on em.

All in all, I didnt feel like I landed a killer deal, but it was a reasonable and fair trade in my mind. I found something I was really happy with, and it would pay it self in 4x 6day ski holidays. One of them being this, I got another lined up for Feb this year. So next year if I have 2 more 6day skis (very likely), then its break even.

Skullie
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@negativeyardage, Well done, and glad I could be of help. Looks like it worked-out for you, and you got a good, fair deal. Once you experience having your own skis, and how good it is to just slip them on and know how to ski in them well, it's hard to go back.

Other folks have made some good points — esp. regarding the baggage cost. Some airlines carry skis FOC, e.g.: Virgin, Swiss. Another trick I use is I have a big "SnowKart" ski bag. This takes a pair of skis and all the stuff I need for a weeks skiing, and I've never had an issue with it on Easyjet, Ryanair, Monarch etc. So all I often pay for is the ski bag. Plus I take my boots as carry on.

Enjoy!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy