Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ost Tirol any good? Advice needed please.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have booked a months accommodation in the Tirol (9/1/16- 6/2/16) with three weeks at Achenkirch and a week in the Ost Tirol. I intend to buy a snowcard and spend a few days at the local resort getting the technique back. I will then give the Zillertall valley resorts some attention before moving onto the Skiwelt and other resorts time permitting! Having booked the last week in Pragraten I have only just noticed that the seven resorts covered by the snowcard are quite small in size? I also note that if I were to drive back into the Tirol on a daily basis I would have to pay €10 each way to use the Felbertauern tunnel! I would like to know if the week in the Ost Tirol is worth the time and effort or should I cancel and go elswhere (I intend to do the high level Tirol resorts in late February/March after a visit home) Any advice would be most welcome, I of course realise that the weather/snow cover is is a major factor in any decision making. I am a reasonable intermediate skier with ten weeks experience and have skied the ski juwel and St Johann in Tirol on previous trips.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Totally depends on the snow.

Ost Tirol and 'main' Tirol get snow from totally different directions.

When it dumps in Ost Tirol it's normally warm, sunny and Föhnig in main Tirol - and vice versa.

You've gotta wait 'til at least a week before to make a good call tbh.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dogberry,
We spent a week in Matrei, Ost Tirol last March and loved it. We skied Matrei/Kals, obertilliach, St Jakob in Deferregental and the 2 ski areas in Lienz.

Slopes were very quiet and we had great snow. The ski areas vary greatly and are enough to keep you busy for a day at each (except perhaps for the smaller area in Lienz which has a a decent vertical drop but only a few pistes. Nevertheless, it's worth a look, not least for the novelty of skiing above the city!) we skied there twice as we had the slopes to ourselves!

We particularly enjoyed Matrei, linked to Kals, and skied there on 3 of the days. There's a stunning new mountain restaurant at the top there and it's very reasonably priced - even bordering on cheap!

I'd definitely recommend giving the area a go. We heard no other Brit voices in a week.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bergmeister, problem being, like the rest of the Southern Alps, there's no snow there atm

So while the skiing there can be great (I love Obertilliach), I wouldn't bet on a good ski trip there for the 1st week of Jan atm - gotta wait 'til the very last minute to see where is getting snow at the time as to whether it's worth it or not.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the comments. Just to clarify the week in the ost tirol will be 30/1/16-6/2/16 so I would assume that there would be sufficient snow cover at that time of year?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dogberry, aah sorry, misread that. I bloody hope so!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy