Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens avoiding chairlifts!

Poster: A snowHead
We are booked into VT for NY week which starts on Boxing Day.

The problem is, my wife doesn't like chairlifts - especially the ones that whiz around and almost knock you off you feet. Last year she got a ski pole stuck under one which bent it in half, she also worries about falling over / crashing into people when she gets off, and dropping gloves/skis/poles etc mid 'flight'.

So, I'm looking at VT, and at the whole 3 Valleys to see what our options are. She is a blue/green run skier but might be okay on an easy red as long as it's quite wide. I don't want to get stuck for a whole week skiing down tete ronde.

The Meribel valley seems to have a lot more cable cars, but I can't see a way to get there other than Bd Cumin (which seems to have swapped from a blue to a red and might not be open then), then up Croisette / Roc and ski down to Bruyeres. We then have the problem that at the top the only two options on the other side are reds - lac de la chambre and venturon.

I think she'd be okay with the newer chairlifts that come around really slowly giving you plenty of time to sit down and get the bar in place before you get whisked off, but its a bit hard to tell from the piste maps which these are.

Any help would be much appreciated! Need to decide if its worth getting 3V passes or just resign myself to VT only.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I think she'd be okay with the newer chairlifts that come around really slowly giving you plenty of time to sit down and get the bar in place before you get whisked off, but its a bit hard to tell from the piste maps which these are.

they'll be listed on the website somewhere. A TSF is a fixed chair (the kind that tend to come round quick and whack you) and a TSD is a detachable chair, generally much more civilised to get on and faster up the mountain too).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think VT have any fixed chair lifts left now, apart from maybe a couple that are rarely used high up on the glaciers, and one high up over in Orelle.. They've been gradually replacing them over the past few years with detachable ones, so she should be fine!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe a private lesson with a sympathetic instructor could help her get over her fear? Could be a good investment in the long run.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kat.ryb wrote:
Maybe a private lesson with a sympathetic instructor could help her get over her fear? Could be a good investment in the long run.

That could be a great idea, I'll run it past her.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kat.ryb wrote:

Exactly what I would suggest. If she explains to the instructor, they should be able to talk her through it step by step, going up alongside her and helping. I had a teenager who was exactly the same, rode up with me the first few times with me talking her through each step before and during, and by the end of the day was happily taking the chair up with friends instead.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could also get your wife a set of these for her gloves: http://www.skibartlett.com/ski-clothing-accessories-c2/ski-clothing-c16/ski-gloves-mittens-c60/hestra-mens-glove-handcuff-pair-p5555 .I used to get so paranoid about dropping stuff but got a set of these for my gloves now its one less thing to worry about. Nifty stocking filler for the christmas season Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On the piste map the ones labelled TSD (for télésiege debrayable) are the detachable sort which slows down in the station. I think they're also sometimes called télésiege express. The only old-fashioned too-fast-to-get-on-too-slow-to-ride ones I can remember in VT are the one high up on the Orelle side which somebody's already mentioned and I think possibly the Col lift? That's hardly an easy red though so probably not an issue... I definitely agree with the lesson idea.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Moraine is a really nice run for "blue run" skier. Detachable chair but chuffin' freezing if it's blowing hard.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Giffordpikes wrote:
You could also get your wife a set of these for her gloves: http://www.skibartlett.com/ski-clothing-accessories-c2/ski-clothing-c16/ski-gloves-mittens-c60/hestra-mens-glove-handcuff-pair-p5555 .I used to get so paranoid about dropping stuff but got a set of these for my gloves now its one less thing to worry about. Nifty stocking filler for the christmas season Very Happy

Ordered 3 pairs - guessing the kids will need them too!

Thx Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm sure that the Col lift was upgraded last year. I remember sitting on it the year before, into a force umpteen wind doing what seemed like 1mph. It was considerably faster and noticeably newer last year.

The only other one I can think of was Plan de L'Eau and I think that was also upgraded last year.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went to Val Thorens over 15 years ago at New Year and even then I remember the lifts being quite modern so I expect that now your wife would have little to worry about other than getting cold sitting on the lifts. snowHead

I don't like the old 2 man whack you in the back type lifts that much but still use them as often they lead to quieter runs as it appears quite a few people avoid using them. My strategy is to sit on with one of my children then the lifties slow the lift down for the child and I benefit. Very Happy It also helps if you are ready with poles in left hand ready to grab the chair with your right as it swings round.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Seem to remember that quite a few out of the main green/blue piste through the centre of VT are the more gentle type. Cascades, Moutiere and possibly (but possibly not) Boismint. From Moutiere though you can get the Grand Fond which opens a bit more. Seem to remember either Pionniers or Plein Sud (possibly both) are quite easy to get onto too. Downside being that pistes on this side seemed to be eternally busy when I was there.

IIRC getting top Meribel is a pain, you either pole your way down Bvd Cumin or do the red down Lac De La Chambre. Chaos in the morning when it's cold and the first bit isn't what I'd call an easy red. Probably best not to share with the wife but I did it one morning back in January when it was a bit icy and saw 3 people on stretchers Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The secret of getting on those whackyouinthebackoftheleg chairs is to stand a bit further forward than your friends...

If you greet the liftie cheerfully and say "bonjour" he might be better disposed to just hold it back for you, then let it go at precisely the right time. If you ignore him he might not bother. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Col is still a bit of a bitch everything else is fine iirc. Val T just doing the gondys would be okish I suppose but a bit of a pain in the ares.
latest report
At Val d'Isere last week I noticed that the electronic signage had TSD in front of lift names - I meant to ask what it meant so thanks @pam w, @LittleRos,
snow conditions
There is also the Glacier chair which you can catch off the Peclet lift. I would recommend you ski past that one if of a nervous disposition. Twisted Evil

Edit: It's great for some off piste runs though. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy