Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whats is the resource of the ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The simple question , also a bit theoretical, how many services do the ski survives, if I do normal service in the resort done by the machine.
Obviously, every pass in the service machine, do remove layer of the base and the edge. So how many passes do typical ski survives? If one pass removes lets say 0.5mm then if edge is 8mm, then its only 16 services is the resource.

From indirect observation, if you go to ebay and look for model year of the skis clearly coming from rental shops, will give you the answer,

Ed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ed48, edges are very very far from 8mm!

However, my rule of thumb is that around 120 days is about right which is about a full season. When I was doing seasons that was about the experience, with weekly light services (edges and wax).

That said, although we service much less frequently, my last skis, 2010 Mantras, got 300 or so days before becoming unserviceable.

YMMV
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Service skis as little as possible. Race skis aside (which come with pretty thin edges and are frequently tuned so the average life expectancy is low) then if you avoid base grinds entirely and only file edges when getting noticeable performance drop off most skis should be good for 300 days. In fact they'll likely clap out through loss of camber etc before the edges get filed out of existence.

If you have bases ground particularly at sloppy shops that lazily take everything off to deal with the slightest scratch then lifespan is considerably shortened.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've never run out of edge - it’s always camber that goes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, not piste skis! Although, all my piste skis are race skis ... so ... you may have a point.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy