Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Samerberg Sue - Are You Receiving?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Apologies for the short notice but I was wondering if you might pick up a question...

We landed at Munich tonight and have driven to the Holiday Inn Express, Feldkirchen. (The Radeberger Pils is going down nicely & a bargain €4.90 for 0.5l.... Hic!)

We are driving to Hintertux in the morning and would like to get there for 8.15. Is our satnav timing of 2 hours realisistic on a Monday morning? We are meeting Mr & Mrs Mountainaddict .They are skiing tomorrow but need to get the lift down at 11am to head back to Munich and we'd like to ski a few hours with them if possible.

We will be skiing 3 days at Hintertux then 3 days at Stubai. We are really looking forward to it and will be buying our second Tirol Snowcards tomorrow. Happy days! Very Happy

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 16-11-15 0:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bergmeister, she'll be in bed by now but will probably see this at 5.30am. Keep an eye on TomTom live traffic and/or PM sue so she gets a notification
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @holidayloverxx,
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bergmeister, sorry, missed this as I was, as @holidayloverxx knew, already in bed and all PC, laptop, iPad, etc were switched off. I'm an early bird and usually an early riser, but I'm out sick from work at the mo, so I slept through to 08.30

You should not have had any problems today as you are beyond the A9/A99 junction and are already east of Munich. It should be an easy ride as you are working against the normal flow on a Monday morning.

I hope you moved from the Radelberger to a proper Bayerischen beerand did not indulge to much. Actually that is quite expensive for a mass produced Pils but then I supposed compared to UK prices it seemed cheap. wink

Do be careful to allow extra time to get back to the airport on your return as the border controls for traffic coming into Germany have been annoying. If TomTom show a hold up at Kufstein/Kiefersfelden, you can avoid it by going round it using the local roads. Or plan a return via the Achen Pass and Bad Tolz, rejoining the A8 at Holzkirchen.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I love it that you answer the question anyway!... It's like Mystic Meg.... or Sorcerous Sue!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@flangesax, Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

They were meeting someone at 8.15 at their destination - the answer to their question would be superfluous as they already on site before I had woken up! But anyone else planning a similar trip set up may like to know whether problems are likely or not.

@Bergmeister, did it take 2 hours or was it longer/quicker? I'm curious as Sat-Navs can be very wide of the mark at times.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue Bergmeister & Mrs B did indeed make it in the 2hrs...albeit about 75 mins layer than planned rolling eyes

Meanwhile, we got back to MUC from Hintertux in 2hrs 25m - a clear run but a few 80kph roadworks bits. The German border control bit was fine Very Happy.

(Ps. We enjoyed Stubai & Hintertux - some pretty good snow all things considered - although coupled with some terror-inducing sheet ice sections Shocked)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mountainaddict, the border control at Kiefersfelden can be quite unpredictable even now with very little traffic. I've seen queues of 4 to 5 kilometres and I've seen barely nothing. How it will be during the ski season is going to be the question. We (the locals) have avoided the actual A12 crossing for some time, simply dropping off at Kufstein-Süd and using the local roads to return to the motorway at either Kiefersfelden or Oberaudorf.

The only long term roadworks I'm aware of are the ones on the A93 (just at my exit Evil or Very Mad ), all the others must have been short-term day ones (Tagesbaustelle). The A8 has no long term ones any more between München-Süd and the inntal interchange. The ones on the A99 will be mothballed pretty soon. There are a lot of bridge repairs/replacement work going on all over the place.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
All the others must have been short-term day ones (Tagesbaustelle)
Indeed - it seemed to be all stuff like tree trimming at the roadside involving the parked vans with the big flashing arrows to make you move over...

Ta for the info re the potential border queue - Bergmeister is flying home from MUC late on Sunday night. I'll text him about your back routes advice.

Do you think that, given the snow forecast for Friday/Saturday, there will be a lot of traffic returning in Munich direction on Sunday night? Would an early season dump like that generally spur the Germans and Austrians into glacier action? Hopefully not for Bergemeister and his wife - as we found last weekend was (on certain runs) verging on dangerously overcrowded - with speeding lunatics galore at Stubai and Hintertux. Both areas must have been verging on maximum capacity (if there is such a thing....).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mountainaddict, I don't think the roads will be crowded, at least not due to glacier skiers. As far as crowds and mad skiers on the glaciers is concerned, yes... It's the reason I no longer go skiing in November when the glaciers are the only choice.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mountainaddict, totally agree with you and @Steilhang about the crazies on certain days. I try to go Saturdays or better still mid-week, making up my hours by working over Saturday or Sunday instead. I don't think the lift companies help the weekend situation either by doing promos week after week based around being "radical" (whatever that means). I've stopped using the Kitzsteinhorn at the weekends exactly for that reason.

As for Sunday's traffic situation - who knows. A lot of Christmas markets open this coming weekend, so may be people will stay at home and drink Glühwein and eat Lebkuchen or Zwetschendatschi instead. The roads down from the glaciers could be slower, but after that it should be OK.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all!

We've had problems with internet access at Hintertux but have now managed to log on in Stubaital.

As Mountainaddict says, there were some complete crackerjacks on the slopes of Hintertux. We only experienced crowds on Monday and that was bad enough. I never thought I'd say it but (after 30 years of skiing) there were times when I thought that if it had come to this you could stick your piste skiing where the sun doesn't shine...(in favour of ski touring). The scary thing was that Mountainaddict kept telling us that Monday was quiet in comparison with the weekend!

From Tuesday onwards, however, it felt like a different sport - skiing as we used to know it! We even had proper pistes for the past two days, with only the odd patch of glacial ice Shocked peeping through, in view of the much reduced ski traffic.

We have 3 days at The Stubai Glacier to come and it looks like we have some snow on the way.

@Samerberg Sue, We left our hotel at 6.45 and arrived at Hintertux at 9, after stopping near Kufstein for a quick break and to buy a Vignette. After parking, buying lift passes and getting our boots on we were on the lift at 9.20. All in all, a traffic free drive. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bergmeister, I thought it would be traffic-free as you were going against the flow in every sense.

As for the nutters on the slopes, yep way too many especially at the weekends and getting worse not better. I'm surprised about Monday though as it is usually very quiet. It could be that you hit a weird Eastern European long weekend, I think the Poles and Czech have some around about now as I've turned up at the Kitzsteinhorn (Kaprun) at this time of year and found it absolutely rammed. Last time I just turned round and drove home because if they are using the 4th car park at that time of year it will be too busy to make it fun. As a result I've stopped going at the weekend in the pre-season preferring the weekdays instead. I've now got a work schedule that allows me free reign from Fridays right through to T
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are now in Neustift and had a great afternoon today on the Stubai Glacier. Torrential rain above Fernau, zero visibility & a howling wind didn't bode well but we had a fantastic afternoon! Very Happy

We had the run to ourselves off the T-Bar "over the back" - lovely powder! And all other pistes had packed powder (& were not busy at all) - with untracked powder at the sides. It snowed (wet snow) continuously & we did end up a bit bedraggled but, nevertheless, had a great afternoon!

It's still raining now in Neustift so we are planning on getting the 7.30 lift up tomorrow for first tracks. We are bracing ourselves for the crowds though Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bergmeister, don't worry too much, the locals are pretty well all fair-weather skiers to be honest. You may have a few Race clubs with lots of obscenely talented midgets zooming between your legs though. There is an avalanche training course going on at the Eisgrat Bergstation but that seems to be the only "event " they are promoting on the web page.

Chucking it down here and the temperatures are falling as quickly as the rain - we should have snow later tonight and most of tomorrow according to the forecast.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy