Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone out in whistler this season? What's the snow cover like at the moment? Long term forecast looks pretty warm.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@shoogly, no idea but happy birthday
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heading out this weekend 7th Feb 2015 for two weeks.

Snow base looks decent with more snow coming over the next few days.

Whistler village is quite low at around 650m however there is a good base.

Up top, have been told the bowls are still good and with the new snow coming will be as epic as ever along with the inbetweeny tree runs...

main sites:
- www.whistler.com
- www.whistlerblackcomb.com
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm. Not so sure about this. It looks like a lot or precipitation this weekend, but a really high freezing level.

Check out Snowhead wbsr and his unofficial snow report.

This from his latest upload to Facebook:

"Big storm heading our way, looks like mostly rain with only the highest elevations forecasted to receive snow. Therefore, chances are wet cement at best and rain to the top at worst."
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It has been fairly consistently warm and wet all winter. We've had quite a few big tropical storms all of which have been 10C or so too warm.
Very wet two weeks ago, then froze solid, then about 20cm earlier this week to spruce things up a bit, but looking like a lot of rain the next few days Sad
It is about 10C in Vancouver at the moment and raining hard - not a whole lot of snow left on the N. Shore mountains Sad Sad

Base higher up in the alpine is not too bad considering as the early warm storms dropped a lot of snow there, but after this weekend who knows unless the freezing level drops a bit whilst continuing to dump.
By Whistler standards, kind of hard to see it being epic, especially in the trees as they have received far less snow than normal, but if the freezing level drops a bit....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks for the info folks... a few weeks till we're out there but handy to keep an eye on the base etc for planning etc.

thinking about a heli trip, but will keep an eye on pack info before committing to anything.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stuarth, where's the best site to keep an eye on weather etc for the area?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not going to complain if weather and pow like this...

https://twitter.com/WhistlerBlckcmb
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whistler might be okay with the storm that's coming through over the next 4 days. FL for Coast range will fluctuate the entire time, but the farther North, and East one goes, the colder it gets with this Pineapple express. Forecast for a High pressure to set up once the Pineapple finally clears out. Crying or Very sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
First thing this morning the runs from the Roundhouse down were excellent with nice fresh powder especially through the trees, up until about two thirds of the way down towards the first lift where it became quite sticky.

Lower than that the powder was mixed with rain so a little like glue/cement.

Saturday and Sunday the freezing level will come down a bit so the upper sections should be better. Looking forward to some more powder on the upper slopes in the coming days but it will likely remain quite sticky on the lower slopes.

Watch out for branches/logs in the trees at the moment if you're heading in there since the snow depth is not quite as deep as normal, but lots of fun with the fresh stuff.

Official weather site here...
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/the-mountain/snow-and-weather/index.aspx

But I prefer this site...
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Whistler-Blackcomb/6day/top
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@born2ski,

If the freezing level is at 2100M (even as reported by WB - with 20mm rain - which seems optimistic as we are forecast 60mm here), and the mountain is 2200M high, how is there going to be powder in the trees - or pretty much anywhere in fact?
I am in Whistler tomorrow and have the rain gear packed.

Yesterday did look like it was pretty decent though
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah yesterday was nice first thing in the morning in the trees below Roundhouse when they reported a 2000m freezing level (I guess the actual freezing level was lower than that first thing the morning) but it did get wet later in the day.

Since this weekend they are predicting a lower 1500-1700m freezing level I think it will be the same nice powder in the higher trees first thing.
I'm always optimistic Very Happy .

Alpine should be nice anyway.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nope, forecast for 2100M for today I'm afraid ,and the Live Temps are already showing 2C at the roundhouse, and 0C at the peak Sad
Its 12C here and raining hard and normally 12C in the city is about the cut-off for any sort of snow at all in Whistler
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep I know it will be pretty wet today. I was talking more about Saturday and Sunday for slightly lower freezing levels.

Anyway at least the slopes will be quieter today with the rain Little Angel
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
keep the reports coming - I arrive on 7th March!
snow conditions
Quote:

keep the reports coming - I arrive on 7th March!

Me too on the 20th Feb, Looks quite warm until then!
ski holidays
Guy from work is there just now, photos yesterday looked pretty depressing and he says there's no skiing til at least sunday.
ski holidays
Well Friday was indeed very rainy/windy and there were a bunch of puddles/slush forming so a good day to take a break.

However today (Saturday) was surprisingly good. I started skiing just after 8am and it was snowing at the top of the gondola which continued to snow lightly pretty much all day. The snow changed to light drizzle lower down approx 200m before the start of the Emerald chair but was quite light compared to yesterday so didn't really notice it.

Above the Roundhouse level in the Alpine there is still all the new snow waiting to be skied since the Peak lift was still closed today.

So even though it's getting a little patchy lower down overall it's looking fine towards the top and hopefully the Peak chair will also be opening soon. Harmony chair was open today but I didn't get a chance to go up there, and I reckon the snow must have been decent up there.
snow report
Forecast is for HP ridge to build up around Tuesday/Wed., and current mid-range forecast calls for warm temps, and sun from that point on for next 6-7 days. El Nino is a real b-i-t-c-h this year...
snow report
I've cracked and asked ski independence for options to go somewhere else
latest report
born2ski wrote:
Well Friday was indeed very rainy/windy and there were a bunch of puddles/slush forming so a good day to take a break.

However today (Saturday) was surprisingly good. I started skiing just after 8am and it was snowing at the top of the gondola which continued to snow lightly pretty much all day. The snow changed to light drizzle lower down approx 200m before the start of the Emerald chair but was quite light compared to yesterday so didn't really notice it.

Above the Roundhouse level in the Alpine there is still all the new snow waiting to be skied since the Peak lift was still closed today.

So even though it's getting a little patchy lower down overall it's looking fine towards the top and hopefully the Peak chair will also be opening soon. Harmony chair was open today but I didn't get a chance to go up there, and I reckon the snow must have been decent up there.

Yep, actually found some ok pow in Sun bowl and the avi line on glacier bowl (Whistler) - couldn't see a right lot of it though (or the debris!) Madeye-Smiley
Wasn't even all that wet (compared to two weeks ago). Maybe I set my expectations so super low that they were easy to exceed, but apart from being a bit busy on Blackcomb, it was actually not all that bad (having returned to Whistler) snowHead

Was super warm in North Van today (15C) - quite spring like and pleasant really! Cool

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 9-02-15 4:35; edited 5 times in total
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
I've cracked and asked ski independence for options to go somewhere else

Last time everyone seemed to have "cracked" (2004/2005) WB took the skiing chairs off and started replacing them with the bike park chairs in early March - dumped after that and the place was deserted - perfect! snowHead
snow conditions
Today, just above mid-station things were slushy, however higher up, good conditions especially with the opening of Peak Express, Whistler side.

Best leave lower down til the afternoon when returning.

Rain took its toll last night, Sat to Sun eve. Snow still falling higher up.

End of day, skiing down to base was slushy, however not too bad, as many download from halfway, so not as tracked as normal.
ski holidays
@stuarth, happy to leave it for you! Just getting options at the moment.
snow report
I'm devastated to hear this. Arrive in Whistler on my honeymoon on the 3rd of March! Hopefully we get a few more dumps before then and that the freezing level drops a bit too! Would be so disappointing to have a once in a lifetime trip for me, be ruined by poor snow conditions!
ski holidays
Weather in that part of the world can chagne very quickly. They had forecast rain all day for SUnday in Seattle, and it was sunny and 15C. But higher up, the temps were right at about 0C. Who knows. 3 weeks from now, maybe lots of snow, or lots of sun, or lots of rain. It's way too far off to tell. The weather forecasters have a 50/50 chance of getting the right forecast it seems these days.
ski holidays
@Toadman, we'll probably end up going but I'd like some options.
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, it's going off in Northern BC:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/terrace-kitimat-digging-out-from-near-record-breaking-snowfall-1.2949270

http://www.snowseekers.ca/britishcolumbia/terrace
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arno, yes I saw that on another forum
snow conditions
High up above m8dstations had snow and were great to ski. Ie both peak express and 7th Heaven were great skiing. Further down was sleety / rainy. Most runs were good. Runs down to resort were wet however if doing long turns then not soo hard in the legs...
latest report
Have seen some recent pics and the snow up top looks great. We'll have a blast whatever the conditions... but... looking at the snow that Alberta is getting does make you wonder.

Anyone know which heli ski operators in Whistler have the highest terrain? According to all of their websites, they're all the best heli ski operators in the world.

Looking at this radar loop

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/nepac/flash-vis.html

It looks like a lot more warm air is on the way to the area in the coming week at least. How long does an El Nino generally last?
latest report
I think it's a seasonal thing - i.e. el nino/la nina are in for the season.
snow conditions
I cracked. We are off to sun peaks instead
snow report
shoogly wrote:
Anyone know which heli ski operators in Whistler have the highest terrain? According to all of their websites, they're all the best heli ski operators in the world.

Not sure about the highest, Powder Mountain are definitely the lowest, but they also Cat ski in bad weather. I think that Whistler Heliski have the most glaciers, but they also run some 10 person helicopters so you can end up in very mixed ability groups. I prefer Coast Range Heli skiing.

I should add that the Heli ski operators are not actually operating in the immediate Whistler area, so you can get different snow conditions in each location. For example Coast Range Heli reported 20-30cm fresh snow, whereas there was nothing reported in the resort.
ski holidays
@shoogly, if you are open to earning your turns, get in touch with Ross Berg at Altus Mountain Guides

http://altusmountainguides.com/

I've had some very good days out with him in unpromising snow conditions (and one heinous bushwhack, but no-one's perfect!)
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
I cracked. We are off to sun peaks instead

I just did exactly the opposite and decided the weather made it not worth going to Sun peaks for spring break (was contemplating it as my sons ski club is there for a race)
latest report
@holidayloverxx, I think that is a good call. Friends I normally ski with were there for a week with no new snow (3 weeks ago), cancelled their pre booked heli and cat skiing and generally wished they had not gone. Think it is just one of those seasons.
latest report
High Frezzing levels coming today and Friday. About 2,900 meter freezing level with some rain. Then some sun. Then maybe about 7 days out some cool air, and possibly some moisture. Persisten high pressure keeps forming off the Coast, that pushes storms North or South of Whistler. Or the high pressure breaks down, and SW flow coming off the Pacific brings in warm, moist weather with high freezing levels. Actual precip for the year is about normal, it's just that it's falling as rain, and not snow.

Farther North you go the better the conditions.
snow report
Toadman wrote:
High Frezzing levels coming today and Friday. About 2,900 meter freezing level with some rain. Then some sun. Then maybe about 7 days out some cool air, and possibly some moisture. Persisten high pressure keeps forming off the Coast, that pushes storms North or South of Whistler. Or the high pressure breaks down, and SW flow coming off the Pacific brings in warm, moist weather with high freezing levels. Actual precip for the year is about normal, it's just that it's falling as rain, and not snow.

Farther North you go the better the conditions.

Not an atypical El Meano (!) year unfortunately, except for the Sierras which usually do very well. let's hope it dumps in Spring, which is often the case.
snow conditions
chrisJersey wrote:
@holidayloverxx, I think that is a good call. .

Ok, I'm going to say it since I've been alluding to it for a while.
I don't think it's a good call - switching to a different continent (or the other side of this one) might be, but the whole of the PNW including most (all?) of the major resorts in BC are having a crappy snow year so far, is Sun Peaks an exception? So switching from the one with the biggest mountains and the only one that actually stayed open the last time it was really crappy at this time of year, doesn't seem like that good an idea. Also if it continues on the downward spiral, where would you rather be Vancouver or Kamloops? (no offense intended to Kamloops locals, but I think even the one in the cube next to me might agree! Razz )

Sorry - lack of snow must be making me grumpy! Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 12-02-15 18:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy