Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap 2nd ski holiday advice for January

Poster: A snowHead
Going away Christmas week with my girlfriend and we are considering a 2nd ski trip early January if I can afford it. Is their any advice as to where to go that is cheap but still had decent conditions. Is self catering any good? If so where would you recommend? If not is there places where eating out isn't going to break the bank? Any other tips would be much appreciated 🙂
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Define cheap (travel/accom/lift pass/equipment hire if required/transfers)?

Food can be done for no more than you would spend at home which is why I am not including it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Equipment we have. It's more the accom/lift pass really. My girlfriend is fairly new to skiing so anywhere that is beginner friendly. If you can get food for similar prices to home that's fine for me.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Check out igluski the TOs use them to offload surplus stock, yeh often have sweeters like free/half price lift passes etc.

I got a bargin last year £399 flights from Manchester, Transfers, catered chalet (with wine) in Champoluc. Same holiday from direct from the TO (Inghams) was £799.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What about Bansko in Bulgaria?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also if you looking for SC food prices in Italy and Andorra are much cheaper than France. I personally wouldn't recommend Champoluc for beginners though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could comfortably do a week (self catering) in the Alps for £500pp.

Snowtrex and Sunweb would be a good place to start for accommodation and lift pass combos. Then just add on your flights and transfers. In fact for some of their resorts Sunweb can offer you flights and transfers too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
These companies have been around a long time, and do very good value deals, often including ski passes and ski rental etc:

www.sunweb.co.uk.

www.whiteroad.co.uk

I think they buy the ski-passes in bulk; so they get a big discount. It really helps to keep the prices down for you.

I have used www.sunweb.co.uk and were very happy with them. Self-catering is going to be your cheapest option generally, as most folks are happy with some porridge and toast for breakfast. Then you will have lunch on the slopes and/or a packed lunch. The some nights you can stay in and cook spag-bol; whilst on others you can pop-out for a pizza etc.

But, always make sure you read the small print, as bed linen, towels, cleaning etc., can be extra. And the ski passes are local area only. Also, review the precise accommodation they are offering online. e.g.: Some blocks of flats are used by different ski tour agents; but are badly run and get bad reviews.

The higher-up you go, the more assured you are of good snow conditions. Early Jan is still early season. So mega-resorts like Tignes, Val Thorens, Les Arcs etc are going to be your best bet.

I'm off to Val Thorens in early Jan. It's part of the giant 3 Valleys resort, and the highest ski resort in Europe. Modern, fast lifts and plenty of snow making machine. Also it has very good value accommodation, most of which is ski-in and ski-out. Lot's of cheap bars and restaurants.

Booking early is going to help. And if your select not-the-best flight times, you can save loads. e.g.: a late flight on the outward; and an early flight on the return (as long as the transfers work OK for these). Plus you can book your skis in advance over the web, and search online for discount codes.

You should be able to get flights, transfers, accommodation, ski-passes and ski-hire for around £500. Such as this deal here:

http://ski.sunweb.co.uk/france/val_thorens/val_thorens/residence_les_trois_vallees.htm?view=overview

Have a great time wherever you go!

And there are lots of other options as you'll see below from other Snowheads snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Is self catering any good?

Depends how well you cook.... wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
It's more the accom/lift pass really. My girlfriend is fairly new to skiing so anywhere that is beginner friendly.

Going to a smaller French resort and the accommodation and lift passes will be cheaper than the large ski areas.

That said early Jan is cheap as chips and TO holidays should be mighty cheap. Self catering makes more sense financially when there is 3-6 people. Because then you can drive out in a full car, fill out an apartment, share cooking duties, etc.

If I was you I'd go last minute TO, save myself the hassle. I'd still go to a smaller resort though as it will be even cheaper.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne wrote:
If I was you I'd go last minute TO, save myself the hassle. I'd still go to a smaller resort though as it will be even cheaper.

That is a good idea. It's early season, and not school holidays, and so there will be ample availability. Plus, you can choose somewhere that has a good base of snow. If your GF is a beginner, that best you save your money for lessons for her.

You could consider Sainte Foy. A small resort, but great skiing with good runs for beginners.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

If I was you I'd go last minute TO, save myself the hassle.

Yes, I would too. But last minute means a few days before, not late November. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Self catering is usually based on 4+ sharing a studio / apartment, you will only get a cheap deal S/C at the last minute as under occupancy charges will make it just as expensive as a CC.
A late deal package is usually the cheapest way for two people, DIY can give flexibility but the transfer is often more expensive than the flight and it all adds up.
There are numerous late deals on CCs which include flights and transfers from as little as £299, I have travelled with Silverski about 4 times now, the accommodation and food is basic no frills stuff but so far, they have always done what it says on the tin!

It also depends on how obsessed you are with flying from your local airport, I have had some good sub £400 deals for flight, transfer and catered chalet but have had to fly out of Gatwick which is a 5hr drive.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Keep it close to a local airport keep the transfer cost down. If flying in to Geneva look at - Samoens - Les Carroz - Flaine just over an hour transfer. For Beginners Samoens has a very good beginners area at 1600m so should be good snow and the Grand Massif is linked by easy genuine blue runs. Another resort to look at is Morzine. Look at catered chalets that are looking to fill an empty room try www.chaletsdirect.com they have a notice board where you put up your requirments rather than you contacting all the chalet companies looking for a bargin tehy contact you.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Check local tourist sites for their accommodation lists. You can get some very cheap, small apartments in some resorts. Many years ago, doing that made Switzerland affordable, but more recently we looked at them in La Rosiere - short transfer from the ski train - but couldn't find one that worked well with two kids. Several that would have been ideal for just the two of us.

For lessons, we used Evo2, who were good, but the ESF there seemed to have a good reputation too. Anyway, even if you go to a different resort, it's still worth a look.
latest report
If with a TO, historically Austria has always been cheap (I go always just with Mr G, stay in a B&B/guesthouse, 1 room ensuite type thing). Depends on what time in January and how good or non-existent the snow is that year (obviously later the better) but those with access to a glacier at least offer something pretty reliable.
I've spend many a January trip in Kaprun/Zell am See or Mayrhofen and both of those have good areas for beginners + easy glacier access (some runs on which are also wide and fine for beginner/intermediates) - recommend both, and usually cheap all round.
snow report
I'm going to Cervinia foor a week 22/1/16, £462 with Crystal Ski
snow conditions
Private room with The Tignes Chalet company at Lavachet lodge is very good value and it's catered with wine included. (i've stayed with them before and had a great stay) Just need to buy a cheap lunch (sandwich from the Bakery/Pain au choc from Breakfast?). Yeah Tignes is not the cheapest for lift pass but you will have good snow in Tignes. They can sort you lift pass, transfer etc too.
snow conditions
@scotspikey, Lucky!!!!

Back to the OP, I've used snowtrex.co.uk before. Did a week in Chamrousse, which is a small resort but we managed to do a whole week inc cheap Ryan Air flights for £400.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy