Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hire car at GVA for £V - French or Swiss side?

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone tell me about advantages / disadvantages of hiring a car on either side.
Last time we did it, I hired one on the French side because we were travelling to France, and it about £100 cheaper for the week.
However we got completely lost on the return to the airport and ended up paying for a road permit to enter Switzerland so we hardly made any saving in end.
Is there any advantage of hiring a Swiss car except for the road penalty if we get lost eg do they provide free snow chains etc?
Also, can anyone provide detailed and fool proof instructions for getting in/out from the French side without wandering into Switzerland - this seems to be beyond the skills of our SatNav!
Thanks in advance - we are booked into La Tania so will only need the car for France once we get going Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just spotted my typo! Meant '3V' as in three valleys, not £V, although that may have been a Freudian slip, considering the prices!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All Hire Cars from the CH side will be equipped with snow tyres and vignette for the Swiss motorways. Can't help with the avoiding Swiss motorway thing as I've never had to do it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rent on the Swiss side and you get snow tyres. A huge advantage if - as you hope - there's snow around.

If you rent on French side you can drive through Geneva. You only need to avoid Swiss motorways.

But Geneva can be very busy.

I'd go Swiss unless the difference is huge.

If you decide to rent on the French side the secret is to head for Ferney Voltaire on return, not follow signs to the airport. Last few times I've rented French cars, in summer, they've given out useful maps.

Be very wary of satnav in the Alps. You do better with a traditional Road atlas.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Beware - some of the cheaper consolidators (e.g. auto-europe) have started charging extra for snow chains even on the Swiss side for some rentals.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's just so much easier renting on the Swiss side for getting to the right bit of motorway in or out. Unless the price difference is huge, have a stress free time and go via the Swiss bit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like I'll play safe and go for Swiss, Thank you.

Yes I completely agree about the sat nav issue, I usually set it for Albertville and then navigate from there, we have been caught out before!

Does anyone know if there is an extra charge with the hire companies for taking a Swiss car over the border to France? could this affect insurance?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Renside, nope, typically, no extra charge for driving into France. YMMV.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And, despite some assertions, you don't always get them automatically. You must have chains. Even with snow tyres as the police can insist, especially on busy transfer days. If you practice putting them on in the warm and dry in the car park (if the weather looks threatening) you can check the size is right. It isn't always......
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any recommendations for car hire companies on the Swiss side who include snow chains as standard?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
@Renside, nope, typically, no extra charge for driving into France. YMMV.
Last week, the Hertz salesman in GVA warned me that if the car broke down in France, and I called for assisstance, I would have to pay £500 XS, unless I paid for extra insurance...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always go to the French side. The price difference is staggering. I was looking for a small car (Corsa) next weekend - French side £47, Swiss side £97. Whenever I look the French side is 2/3 or even cheeper than the Swiss side. Avoiding the Swiss motorways (you do not have to avoid the Country) is not difficult as @pam w, says head to Ferney - Voltaire not the airport. The road to the airport is on the left just after reentering France. The filling station is on the right . On collection, the French side has a nice little bar where the rest of the party can have a drink while you collect the car and the cars are just outside the door, no need for a minibus transfer.

Quote:

Does anyone know if there is an extra charge with the hire companies for taking a Swiss car over the border to France? could this affect insurance?

Yes it is called motorway tolls. The Swiss vignette is effectively a toll for using Swiss motorways. I am not sure if this is still the case but one unsung advantage of hiring from the Swiss side was that the French speed cameras never caught up with you. However like all things I think the data is shared nowadays.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm looking at a price difference of about £60 cheaper for a people carrier on French side (5 people, ski kit to carry). So if the snow chains are included on Swiss side then it makes sense to hire there but its not clear on the website if they are ( not pricing listed on Swiss side). On the French side they want 17 euros a day for snow chains!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Makes sense to go Swiss then

You could save a useful amount of time driving out to Bardonnex on the motorway rather than going through Geneva. you will save even more time and temper if having snow tyres means not having to stop to put chains on

You'll be safer too, of course.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Look for a hire car in the class "intermediate wagon". This will be something like a Mondeo Estate. Put the skis on an inflatable ski rack and there's plenty of room for 5 people plus ski gear. Much cheaper than a people wagon.
snow conditions
I've recently had cars from both sides of the airport and the french side is much cheaper. Thats where the next one comes from when I'm back in 3 weeks.
Its easy to avoid the swiss motorway and the chaps at Sixt gave me a handy map with directions. They also told me that at certain times, you will be unlicky to get stopped at the broder where the motorway is for the charge.

When dropping off, there is also a little french side security check so you avoid the queues in the main check in hall for security

When getting a car from the swiss side you will need to tell them that you are taking it out of switzerland and they will probably charge you extra for their recovery service.

A friend didnt tell them as he'd used the swiss side lots of times before but ended up with a couple of hundred euro bill when he had the unlucky event of two flat tyres one after the other with the second being on the auto route
snow conditions
3 different routes out of GVA depending on whether you want:
A) quickest route but requires vignette
B) route avoiding vignette
c) route avoiding Switzerland altogether

https://www.gva.ch/Portaldata/1/Resources/fichiers/publications/af.pdf
snow conditions
Having done both recently, don't be scared of the French side. I only did it to try it out as we had plenty of time a few weeks' ago and was expecting it to be a pain, which it wasn't. In fact, on French side no need to get a bus to the cars so arguably slightly easier.

Not really much difference in getting out to France. Coming back pretty much the same and petrol station near French sector entrance. Would be inclined to buy Vignette online beforehand as bit of a pain to stop and buy.

Downside is snow tyres.

So balance is price (but net off Vignette @ CHF40 I recall) and snow chains.
snow report
If you're going to buy the vignette then the advantage of lower cost is partly negated. The price difference is NOT consistent either. I have rented on the French side in summer but did regret it one time, caught in huge traffic jam in Geneva.

In winter the snow tyres are a huge advantage but it's true the pick up is easier on the French side which is also far quieter. There's a handy big supermarket too.

The navigation is easy once you know how, as ever but can be very confusing without the right instructions.

You would be unlucky being caught without a vignette driving out of Switzerland at Bardonnex but very lucky to get in without one. I've done 4 return trips to the airport in the last 3 weeks and there was 100% scrutiny each time, going into Switzerland.
ski holidays
What about the timing of the booking for the best price? I will be hiring a car at Xmas, does anyone have an idea if the prices will go up or down between now and Xmas? Puzzled
snow conditions
Coco wrote:
What about the timing of the booking for the best price? I will be hiring a car at Xmas, does anyone have an idea if the prices will go up or down between now and Xmas? Puzzled

You might find there are no cars left if you leave it to the last minute to book a car for xmas.

Prices will depend on how busy they are. Likely to be very busy xmas week.
ski holidays
@Coco, I can't imagine prices coming down. I'd book as soon as you can.

Cars have the advantage of being able to be moved around to suit demand.
ski holidays
Unless you book a fully paid, non-refundable rate you can always book something now and keep an eye open for prices falling. I often do this with my weekly car hire at STN. I had 4 x 3 days booked at c.£82 per hire for October. When checking other dates I noticed that new bookings for the dates I'd previously booked were now at £43 for 3 days. Ever the canny Scot I made 4 new bookings and then cancelled all my £82 bookings.
snow report
we don't have a vignette on the car, I just use the saint Julien en genevois boarder crossing to go into Geneva and the main one leaving. never had any problems....
ski holidays
@eddiethebus, you mean the Perly Gates Wink
latest report
@eddiethebus, @altis, I find St Christopher just as useful as St Julien wink
snow report
Is the vignette always included in the price on the Swiss side ???
snow conditions
@altis, roflmao
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@wasley, The vignette should already be on all their cars on the Swiss side.
ski holidays
@wasley, t should already be on all their cars on the Swiss side.
latest report
Yes, always included, @wasley,
latest report
We had a hire car from the airport a few years ago and the vignette was out of date so we bought a new one at the border and it was refunded at the desk when we returned the car.
latest report
Thanks for the replys....The price is pretty much the same for my 4 days in April ,Swiss or French .So makes sense to go the swiss side and save any hassle
snow report
The route between Croix de Rozon and the Perly Autoroute junction means you can bypass busy Geneva and just use a little bit of the Autoroute, avoiding Bardonnex, and I would have thought you would have to be very unlucky to be caught on (no guarantees of course!).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy