Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I need a new resort

Poster: A snowHead
Snowheads, can I pick your brains. I am looking for a new resort, we have been going to the Grand Massif (Samoens) for the last 4 years and we fancy something new.

We are looking for a resort ideally with the following:

- In france ideally,
- A varied and large ski area,
- Within about an hour transfer of the airport,
- A nice village feel,
- Some nice places to eat both on and off the slopes,
- Some apres, but not too much, nothing too rowdy but certainly not dead at night,
- Price not a major issue but nothing ridiculous.

Where would you suggest - I know this is a big ask, the more I Google the harder it gets.....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chatel.

One hour is quite a limitation. Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or Megeve and the Mont Blanc Evasion area. Not much over an hour from Geneva.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If the transfer time is important to you then it's worth looking at Austria too. Stacks of resorts close to Innsbruck and Salzburg. Most of the resorts are real villages or towns as opposed to custom built ski stations so village character isn't hard to find. I've had a couple of ski holidays in Samoens and loved the place, so I'm sure you'd love Lech or Zell am See or Mayrhofen. English is widely spoken in the hotels/bars so if it's the language that gives you a preference for France I wouldn't worry about it. The Apres is always good in Austria and the food on the mountain good quality and much better value. The mountain restaurants are much more customer friendly than their Grand Massif equivalents in that they'll sell you hot food and drink all day, have plenty space and much better toilets. The uplift is generally better too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Meribel would be my choice in France for the above. The Village of Hinterglen (Saalbach-Hinterglen) in Austria is also lovely as its smaller than Saalbach and has some proper but nice Apres and the terrain around the area for the ski pass is massive. I spent two weeks there and didn't cover it all.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fly to Turin. 1hr (ish) to Sauze d'Oulx and you can still ski in France if you want to Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Les Gets might hit the spot.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes... Italy is so friendly, especially on the budget.

Tree skiing in Sauze is a blast too. Love me up some sub 2 EUR cappucinno's!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sauze is all about the bombardinos.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Hinterglen (Saalbach-Hinterglen) in Austria is also lovely as its smaller than Saalbach

Puzzled I've always been under the impression that Hinterglemm's bigger than Saalbach. What say you, anybody else (Quinton et al)?

[. b]@Imalittlelost[/b], As a matter of interest, why the preference for France? For me, even if I didn't live there, it would be Austria every time, but, if it must be France, I would suggest St Martin de Belleville, Vallandry (Les Arcs) or Serre Chevalier (Chantemerle, Villeneuve or Monetier) - all match your requirements (except one hour transfer time, which is a tall order), and they have some low-key apres-ski (but are dead compared with virtually anywhere in Austria). In the Portes de Soleil I would agree with the suggestions of Chatel and would also suggest Morzine (and also Champery if Switzerland isn't out of the question); for me Les Gets is too much out on a limb from the main circuit. I would conclude by saying that, if I wasn't 'wedded' to Saalbach, and I was in your situation and had your wish list (except the bit about France), I might well head to the Dolomites.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How about Le Grand Bornand ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd say Les Arcs suits exactly if you count the Eurostar as an option (better than the plane IMHO). Having skied Samoen I'd say the Les Arc ski options are vastly better. I would say Vallandry was a little off the beaten track but it's Les Arc connected so it counts (sort of).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why not try Austria? It's a whole different experience to France and you might get hooked Wink

How about Zell am See? Stunning lakeside setting, lovely little town, plenty of skiing with the Kitzsteinhorn glacier and Saalbach nearby (ski link opening next season), and it's 90 mins from Salzburg (ok not an hour, but close enough).

Apres-wise it was a bit dead when we were there, but it's Austria so there will be some somewhere!!

If you really want to experience what Austrian apres is all about, try Ischgl, Saalbach or St Anton.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The OP did say he didn't want rowdy apres or "too much". So I imagine banging music and dancing on tables are not required. There are plenty of options in places like La Clusaz (another option) or Megeve.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cervinia or courmayeur about an hour from Turnin
as said above ischgl or st anton in austria. an hour from innsbruck
snow conditions
We love the Grand Massif too. I would suggest looking at the following:

Vallandry - not so much as Samoens in terms of village but has access to an excellent ski area.
Montgenevre - fantastic resort with access to the Milky Way
La Clusaz - pleasant village. Varied skiing but you need to take the bus to Le Grand Bornand to do the whole ski area.
or St Gervais/Megeve or Chatel/Les Gets but have only visited these in summer
Serre Chevalier might fit your requirements but I haven't been there. It is on my list of places to go.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
The OP did say he didn't want rowdy apres or "too much". So I imagine banging music and dancing on tables are not required. There are plenty of options in places like La Clusaz (another option) or Megeve.

All the resorts I've mentioned have quiet bars too. "Banging music" is easily avoided if you don't want it. But if he's/she's never experienced proper Austrian apres he/she might love it.
snow report
Quote:

...if he's/she's never experienced proper Austrian apres he/she might love it.

It has been known! Madeye-Smiley (For anyone who hasn't the foggiest idea what we're talking about, there are some fine examples of community singing to be found by searching on YouTube for "Hinterhag")
latest report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

Hinterglen (Saalbach-Hinterglen) in Austria is also lovely as its smaller than Saalbach

Puzzled I've always been under the impression that Hinterglemm's bigger than Saalbach. What say you, anybody else (Quinton et al)?

[. b]@Imalittlelost[/b], As a matter of interest, why the preference for France? For me, even if I didn't live there, it would be Austria every time, but, if it must be France, I would suggest St Martin de Belleville, Vallandry (Les Arcs) or Serre Chevalier (Chantemerle, Villeneuve or Monetier) - all match your requirements (except one hour transfer time, which is a tall order), and they have some low-key apres-ski (but are dead compared with virtually anywhere in Austria). In the Portes de Soleil I would agree with the suggestions of Chatel and would also suggest Morzine (and also Champery if Switzerland isn't out of the question); for me Les Gets is too much out on a limb from the main circuit. I would conclude by saying that, if I wasn't 'wedded' to Saalbach, and I was in your situation and had your wish list (except the bit about France), I might well head to the Dolomites.

Its more spread out but the centre is smaller and more village like, theres a few new hotels since I was last there to be fair. The Apres at the Goats Bar was also one of the main draws.
snow conditions
Have a look at Risoul/Vars. Transfer is longer than you want, but nice resorts with plenty of skiing and village feel
latest report
Quote:

So I imagine banging music and dancing on tables are not required.

@pam w, dancing on the tables is not allowed anywhere, even at the Mooserwirt they make you get down if you attempt it! It is dangerous at the best of times and in ski boots it is positively lethal. Dancing on the benches is allowed but it is more a case of bouncing up and down in time with the music, having a little bit of fun and getting into the whole atmosphere. I'm not into "banging music" as you put it, neither do I drink much alcohol, but I enjoy the atmosphere that is generated particularly if we are sharing a table with others who maybe do not look down their noses at these antics. It gives me a chance to practice my language skills and has led to finding new skiing pals. Letting your hair down occasional can be great fun!
snow report
WOW - thanks, I knew you would be a fountain of knowledge. That gives me some food for thought.

It looks like Chatel and Les Gets are a good place to start Chalet hunting, a quick google brings up good reviews, I think I will start there. Having been to Morzine before (and the link to Avoriaz mostly closed due to bad weather) another go at the PDS may be on the cards.

Now I just need to find a 2 bed, 2 bathroom chalet within walking distance to the slopes, shops, restaurants and bars with a hot tub and an open fire.... I don't want much do I.
snow conditions
Try this brochure:

http://smbt.g-r-c.fr/userfile/file/1442566235_GuideNeige_2015-BD.pdf
ski holidays
Quote:

has led to finding new skiing pals

Likewise...usually Dutch, German, Austrian, Slovenian or Scandinavian, but occasionally also British, or even South African

Quote:

It looks like Chatel and Les Gets are a good place to start

If it's a choice between those two, I'd go for Chatel every time. When I stayed in Les Gets, I seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time commuting between there and Morzine in order to access Avoriaz and the main PdS circuit. No problem of course for beginners, who may be content to stay in Les Gets with a foray over to Morzine when they feel up to it.
ski holidays
Quote:

and the link to Avoriaz mostly closed due to bad weather

In, uhhh, 3 full seasons and >25 years skiing PdS I've never known all three of the Morzine-Avoriaz links to be closed due to bad weather. Poor snow maybe, dodgy explosive calculations, fire maybe for one of them, but not all.

When you going? That makes a critical difference to France/not-France.
ski holidays
Quote:

For me, even if I didn't live there, it would be Austria every time, but, if it must be France, I would suggest St Martin de Belleville, Vallandry (Les Arcs) or Serre Chevalier (Chantemerle, Villeneuve or Monetier) - all match your requirements (except one hour transfer time, which is a tall order),

The transfer time to Arc 1600 is 7 minutes on the funicular, well below the 1 hour limit
snow report
@johnE, Smile Smile Smile
snow conditions
@Samerberg Sue, as I get older and deafer I find it much more fruitful to practice my language skills in a bar with quiet background music or even..... Shocked Shocked Shocked no music at all.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

language skills

It's mostly "body language" skills, and you soon learn the words to the songs, e.g. "Hey, wir woll'n die Eisbaeren sehen". Smile
snow report
Checkout this new site for services available in Les Gets: www.lesgetsinfo.com
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

and the link to Avoriaz mostly closed due to bad weather

In, uhhh, 3 full seasons and >25 years skiing PdS I've never known all three of the Morzine-Avoriaz links to be closed due to bad weather. Poor snow maybe, dodgy explosive calculations, fire maybe for one of them, but not all.

When you going? That makes a critical difference to France/not-France.

We were there in January 2013 and the links between the Super Morzine and Avoriaz were closed due to heavy wind on the 2 days we tried to go that way. As a result we went elsewhere.

It will be one of the last 2 weeks in January definitely, due to the fresh Snow and resorts are much quieter than in February.
snow report
@Imalittlelost, If Super Morzine were closed due high wind, you probably didn't want to be up there anyway.

IIRC (doubtful Happy ) that was the season that they were supposed to have finished the new Prodains bubble but due aforementioned dodgy explosives, hadn't. So if SM closed, you're only option would have been Ardent, but probably best in the trees around Morzine-Les Gets anyway.

Late Jan, fair enough, no vacs scols worries then.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy