Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton Laundrette / Laundromat

Poster: A snowHead
I need to know if there is a coin operated / self service laundrette / laundromat in St Anton Am Arlberg.
If so where is it located.

St Anton certainly had one a couple of decades ago.

Another snow season approaches so I am planning my next multi resort ski holiday.
That means every fortnight I need one of the resorts to have a self service laundry or access one near the station when I change of trains.

The return from a self service laundry does not compare with the return from a bar.
In Altenmarkt the tourist office told me the nearest was in Salzburg.
They seem to be a dying species in the German speaking parts of Europe.
I know there is one in Kitzbuhel, and a very handy one called Bubblepoint near Innsbruck HBF.
I have often paid the latter a visit before changing trains.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@abominable, I don't know about St Anton, but there is (at least, used to be) an 'internet launderette' in Pettneu, 10 mins down the road on the free bus.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The only Wäscherei in St Anton (St Jakob) is industrial for businesses/hotels.

http://www.hoerschlaeger.at/index.php?id=8

Landeck or Bludenz would be the nearest Laundrette.

Depends where you stay you can ask to do washing for a few euros.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@stanton, any idea what happened to the one in Pettneu? I can't find any info about it now, but was definitely there in 08/09!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I normally take a portable one with me, her names Hilary
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999 wrote:
@stanton, any idea what happened to the one in Pettneu? I can't find any info about it now, but was definitely there in 08/09!

Is there not one at the campsite?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Sitter,

Yeah you can ask one of the balkanites to do your washing for a few cents.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Folks . You never heard of disposable??

Example

http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Disposable-Underwear-Briefs-30pk/dp/B00BFEUCNK?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This puzzles me. if you are travelling light with a careful selection of technical garments that dry easily you can keep yourself going for weeks. Base and middle layers are easy and outerwear only needs washing very occasionally. Saving up the dirty clothes for a big bash once a fortnight seems very clunky.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Operation Snowman 2016 will be shorter than usual this season.
Only 12 weeks to avoid the New Year week and the Easter week.
I will not take up the full 90 days allowed to us aliens on a Shengen visa this time.
Forced to travel business class (for the horizontal flat bed) due to my arthritis and a regular annual flyer means Etihad give me plenty of weight allowance.
I can't ski moguls anymore due to the arthritis but I can still get down the groomed slopes.
I travel between resorts using the excellent public transport of Europe, trains and then usually buses from stations to resorts.
I can normally survive 2.5 weeks before running out of fresh clothes.
That is rarely a problem in France.
They have "Laverie Automatiques" in most major ski resorts (Meribel, Val D'Isere, Avoriaz)
Of course not in Megeve but in the neighbouring town.

This year is looking like
Week 1 Meribel (3V)
Week 2 Meribel (3V) - Use Laundrette
Week 3 Plan Peisey (Paradiski) for Les Arcs & La Plagne
Week 4 Avoriaz (Les Portes du Soleil) - Use Laundrette
Week 5 Avoriaz (Les Portes du Soleil) - Use Laundrette before leaving
Week 6 Switzerland maybe Flims
Week 7 Lech (Arlberg)
Use Bubblepoint in Innsbruck at train change
Week 8 Somewhere East Of Innsbruck
Week 9 Zermatt (Matterhorn Paradise)
Week 10 Val D'Isere (L'Espace Killy) - Use Laundrette
Week 11 Les Bruyeres (3V)
Week 12 Les Bruyeres (3V) - Use Laundrette

Beware ! The Abominable Snowman is coming.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sounds a great trip! How much do you carry around? Skis? What sort of places do you stay?

I prioritised travelling light when I went sailing in Arctic Norway last summer. my backpack with all my stuff including 2 lots of Base and mid layers, one down layer, sea boots and oilskin jacket, gloves, hat and my Kindle only weighed 16 kg so I could carry it for miles if necessary
. No ski boots of course and I used the boat's oily trousers.
And I didn't need to take a towel. Which helps.
All public transport including overnight train from Oslo to Trondheim and a great trip up into the Arctic circle.

It was liberating travelling so light. But I'm driving to Tignes tomorrow with everything but the kitchen sink. Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a social problem. I have no sense of smell. I have no idea when I pong except when someone tells me. Therefore I always err on the side of caution.
Etihad allows me 2 checked bags each up to 32kg in business class but because I am a gold guest traveller I get a 3rd checked bag also up to 32kg.
In addition I am allowed 2 carry on bags with a combined weight up to 12kg.
I think I can fit within 108kg.

I normally carry skis and poles in a ski bag although this trip I will buy new skis in Meribel.

Ski bag 8kg
A large suitcase that will also carry my ski boots about 20kg.
A medium size suitcase about 15kg.
A small wheelie carry on bag of 10kg.
On problem is that skis, boots and the weight of empty bags comes to 18kg.
I need two ski jackets and two salopettes - can't stop skiing while they dry.
I also need every day clothes for the rest of my holiday.
Means I have 16kg not carried by your average British package holiday traveller.
Where they may carry 16kg in their suitcase, I need 25-30kg.

How do I manage such a heavy load.
First take my time.
Wheelie bag piggy backs on the large wheeled suitcase, ski bags lies across the top.
Drag the medium size wheeled suitcase in the other.
Simple

I would like to travel light but experience has taught me that you need to carry many things that won't be needed like spare parts and tools for ski boots.
Try getting replacement parts for Strolz ski boots in a French ski resort.
Lost skiing days still have to be paid for.
Large supply of medicines both prescription and then in case I break the head of my humerus into pieces again or get a kidney stone.
Panadeine forte and oxycodone can be hard to get in Europe.
They like to see you suffer the pain.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 31-10-15 1:45; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I may be an Aussie but I have a soft spot for the Brits having spent the best 2 years of childhood living on the outer fringe of London.
After finding the British catered chalet holiday back in the 1980s, I have spent well over 100 weeks in catered chalets.
I don't use the transfers whether they are included in the price or not.
It is harder now being a fussy old man who wants a room to himself.
Single rooms are scarce in catered chalets but I know where most are hiding.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@abominable, you can certainly get single rooms - at a price- I like singles too these days.

I did once have to sleep with my skis on a train from Paris but I think if I were doing your sort of trip I'd either make it a road trip or travel light and rent skis. I couldn't drag that lot around!

I hope you have a wonderful trip and that your humerus stays in one piece. snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@abominable, if you are staying in catered chalets, most have access to a washing machine (even if the linens go out) and will do a load for you if you ask nicely.
snow report
Gämsbock wrote:
@abominable, if you are staying in catered chalets, most have access to a washing machine (even if the linens go out) and will do a load for you if you ask nicely.

Most chalet staff have access to a washing machine and maybe a dryer but most companies have a policy that these facilities are for staff use only.
The poor staff work long days and get little time to ski without guests making requests which the young staff often don't know how to refuse.
I normally make it known that I need to do a wash by asking if there is a laundrette in the town when I know there isn't.
If they volunteer then I give the money that would have gone into the slot.
A good tip for chalet staff.
I think I am too nice to ask nicely.
I also need to be certain I can get the wash done if I am refused.
ski holidays
@abominable, I never minded doing it when I was a chalet host - takes hardly any time to stick a wash on. Certainly didn't impact my mountain time! You could always offer to pay them up front.
ski holidays
Gämsbock wrote:
@abominable, I never minded doing it when I was a chalet host - takes hardly any time to stick a wash on. Certainly didn't impact my mountain time! You could always offer to pay them up front.

Depends on what the access to the washing machine is like. My first season I would happily have done it, we had a machine in the chalet. My second season, although we had a machine, it was shared with the owners and so we only had access to it one or two days a week, enough for doing our own stuff, but not guests. Third season, there were the best part of 30 staff sharing two machines and driers....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy