Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hertz munich

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi does anyone know if hertz charge an out of country surchage when driving to austria?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They do not.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Didn't last week.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Didn't 2 years ago - check about winter tyres though - compulsory in Austria - can't remember if they are in Germany. You will need a vignette for the motorway too - I thought there was a bit of bother on the border recently with the migrants - thousands of lorries parked there normally so if there's a delay it would be horrible.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
you can get of germany but getting back in takes a while
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They do not charge any extra for going into Austria. If you are not in Hertz Gold already might be worth joining to avoid some of the queues that can be pretty long
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There was a queue last week on the Autobahn, but we came off and back on at Keifersfelden, and there were no queues/checks being done at all on the road both going into and back out again on the Austrian side.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@geoffo, the lorries are parked up at Walserberg because of restrictions on weekend driving in both Germany and Austria - if your trip coincides with a Bank Holiday or a Sunday then there are no trucks over 3.5 tonnes on the roads other than those carrying fresh produce. They also make use of the compulsory stop to get through much of the customs bureaucracy as well and the facilities at Walserberg are excellent (including a couple of bordellos) so the drivers do try and get a spot boooked in there if they can! wink

Currently the hold-ups are only to be found on the major border crossings from Austria into Germany - the major one being at Walserberg (A8/10 by Salzburg) and the A12/A93 crossing at Kufstein/Kiefersfelden. Both of these have local work arounds and you can avoid the hold ups quite easily. As jafa said, no problem getting around the Kiefersfelden checks using the local roads.

If the checks are still in place during the ski season, then I can describe the local routes around the passport/vehicle checks as I frequently have to drive into and out of Austira at both of these crossings on a regular basis (2 or 3 times a week). For example if you are returning from anywhere in the Zillertal (Hintertux, Mayrhofen, Zell am Ziller, etc) then using the Achen Pass route avoids all the checks. This also has the advantage of not needing to buy a Vignette.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Will be heading to solden, in the past done garmish-seefeld, mainly because its a bit of a nicer drive, i assume this route should be free from hold ups, due to boarder checks as its not an obvious place to attempt to cross he boarder on foot?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy