Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boots Baggage Problem

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All. Going skiing in March next year with BA, flying heathrow to innsbruck and I've got into a bit of a head mash trying to work out how I can take my ski boots without paying for an additional bag (£60 each way). My fare currently allows for 1 checked bag up to 23kg which was going to be my skis. My boots were going to go in a hand luggage suitcase, but I've just rung BA and they say you can't take boots in hand luggage. So I asked if can they be packed with skis, they said no. So where do my boots go??? Has anyone had experience of this and offer suggestions of what to do? Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In your hand luggage like any other BA passenger, just don't ask them
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bendiddley, What @Dave of the Marmottes, said.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Won't they get checked at security though?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are no BA specific security checks, it will be the airport specific policy. I can't see their being an issue.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@bendiddley, I've flown BA for 30 years with my boots in my hand luggage without any issues, or ever being asked a question. They go through the x-Ray scanner at security fine.

The main thing is to make sure your bag is size compliant. I take mine tip to toe Tetris style so the are flat in my backpack.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 24-11-16 17:31; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i've never had a problem, and i usually clip my lid on the outside too!

where in Austria are you heading?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gazzaredcruiser wrote:
i've never had a problem, and i usually clip my lid on the outside too!

where in Austria are you heading?

Thanks. I'm heading to worgl, to ski in the skiwelt, did same last year and loved it, but last year i went EJ and took boots in suitcase paying for skis as an extra. I couldn't do same this time as left it too late and prices had gone up so much so found a good deal with BA, hence now having this problem.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flew BA 3 weeks ago with my ski boots in hand baggage, no issue. One of the cabin crew actually noticed (despite it not very obviously being a boot bag), pointed at the bag and said (in a friendly manner), 'Ski Boots, in November?'. If there is a rule that says it somewhere it isn't actively enforced, just make sure the bag is the right size...
Many boot bags don't fit within the dimensions, so maybe that is the origin of that advice.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bendiddley, nice.....enjoy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers guys, this is very encouraging and my wallet is starting to feel better Smile I assume this is the same coming back too, going to be flying back from Munich.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bendiddley,
Is it that your boots won't fit in your ski bag, or that your skis weigh 23kg Shocked

We've taken boots in hand luggage with BA before. I usually have a double ski bag as my hold bag, but then I can usually squeeze my boots into one of the kids bags if it is overweight Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@musher, are you suggesting he takes a small child with him to increase his allowance, I like your thinking, although a bit Dickensian! Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gazzaredcruiser, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@bendiddley,
Out of interest, why into INN & out of MUC. INN flights are precious, especially in peak times.

MUC is great for the Ski Welt as you can get dirt cheap train transfers to Wörgl.
latest report
musher wrote:
@bendiddley,
Is it that your boots won't fit in your ski bag, or that your skis weigh 23kg Shocked

We've taken boots in hand luggage with BA before. I usually have a double ski bag as my hold bag, but then I can usually squeeze my boots into one of the kids bags if it is overweight Very Happy

My boots will fit, but i'd prefer to not do it that way encase my skis go missing, the ski bag is also very, very tight with boots in with no protection for the boots. I do have a double ski bag but it is quite cumbersome and heavy, I'm going to be travelling on various trains and buses and need something that is easy to manage.
latest report
Yeah, I was waiting for that question. Basically I was trying to cut costs. I knew about the dirt cheap train fare from munich to worgl but it was for a set time and I thought it unwise to chance that my flight would be on time and I would make it, otherwise it was a lot more. I knew I could definately make the set time on my return which is why its that way round.
latest report
I just use a dakine wheelie ski bag, have done for 4/5 trips now, usually in that one bag are: skis, poles, helmet, boots (sometimes GF's boots been in too), jacket, trousers, goggles..... pretty much everything. as long as the bag comes in under weight its never been an issue putting it all in together. in fact last year I had everything in there (clothes and toiletries included) and just a small backpack with me for a long weekend trip (to ski welt, via munich, using trains to get to worgl)! I get people will say- that's too much of a risk, what if it went missing, then your screwed, but I'm not that fussed. its not like going skiing is going off to some third world country, theres shops, you can hire/ buy essentials if the worst was to happen.

Also- no protection for the boots in a bag?!?!? I'd reckon you are more likely to do damage to them using them skiing, walking around town, walking home from après....... than any baggage handler will do chucking your luggage around when loading.
latest report
The wording on the BA website is actually pretty confusing, as it says you can take boots in your checked luggage...so long as they are packed separately Puzzled

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/sporting-goods-and-musical-instruments

Interestingly Ryanair terms and conditions make no mention of having to pack boots and skis seperately:

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/terms-and-conditions/termsandconditionsar_368204930

Whilst Easyjet specifically says its perfectly fine to take 2 bags so long as they are within 20kg:

https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparing-to-fly/sports-equipment
snow report
malks wrote:
I just use a dakine wheelie ski bag, have done for 4/5 trips now, usually in that one bag are: skis, poles, helmet, boots (sometimes GF's boots been in too), jacket, trousers, goggles..... pretty much everything. as long as the bag comes in under weight its never been an issue putting it all in together. in fact last year I had everything in there (clothes and toiletries included) and just a small backpack with me for a long weekend trip (to ski welt, via munich, using trains to get to worgl)! I get people will say- that's too much of a risk, what if it went missing, then your screwed, but I'm not that fussed. its not like going skiing is going off to some third world country, theres shops, you can hire/ buy essentials if the worst was to happen.

Also- no protection for the boots in a bag?!?!? I'd reckon you are more likely to do damage to them using them skiing, walking around town, walking home from après....... than any baggage handler will do chucking your luggage around when loading.

Cheers. Yeah you're right, i forgot the abuse they get on our feet lol
snow conditions
@malks, I'd be more worried about my boots damaging my skis/poles due to rough handling than the other way around. I think attitude to whether to accept the risk of putting boots in hold luggage depends how much you've invested in getting them to fit properly / comfortably, as well as financially. Personally, any other bit of kit that went missing would be inconvenient / expensive, losing my boots would quite possibly ruin my holiday.
latest report
vjmehra wrote:
The wording on the BA website is actually pretty confusing, as it says you can take boots in your checked luggage...so long as they are packed separately Puzzled

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/sporting-goods-and-musical-instruments

Interestingly Ryanair terms and conditions make no mention of having to pack boots and skis seperately:

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/terms-and-conditions/termsandconditionsar_368204930

Whilst Easyjet specifically says its perfectly fine to take 2 bags so long as they are within 20kg:

Yeah BA's wording is ambiguous.
snow report
Tubaski wrote:
@malks, I'd be more worried about my boots damaging my skis/poles due to rough handling than the other way around. I think attitude to whether to accept the risk of putting boots in hold luggage depends how much you've invested in getting them to fit properly / comfortably, as well as financially. Personally, any other bit of kit that went missing would be inconvenient / expensive, losing my boots would quite possibly ruin my holiday.

Yeah I agree. Would spoil the holiday for me.
snow conditions
bendiddley wrote:
vjmehra wrote:

Yeah BA's wording is ambiguous.

I had to email BA about 4 times to get them to admit that if I took a boot bag and a ski bag I would be charged for 2 bags. Every time they replied with more ambiguous shite. They either didn't want to admit it or didn't know what their policy really was.
snow report
Its pretty annoying really isn't it, at least Easyjet have had the decency to re-word their policy in a clear way, which helps!
snow conditions
I bought a light weight canvas carry on bag specifically to take boots as hand luggage. No point in using a padded bag, the padding is just wasted weight. Place a layer of clothes in the bag, fleece etc then boots in 69 position, filled with socks etc (put boots in carrier bags if they are dirty) pack other clothes around the boots and finally another layer over the top. Should be about 8kg, everything else in the ski bag but be careful, I think it was a small tube of sunscreen that I threw in loose that found its way to the end of the bag and got burst by the skis, big mess Embarassed
snow conditions
Tubaski wrote:

i've spent quite a bit of boots and custom insoles etc..... but i just don't stress about the potential of them going missing. but this attitude for risk is maybe more to do with travelling around europe with a very fragile (and very expensive) carbon fibre slalom canoe and paddles at the mercy of the baggage handlers. i had a boat totalled by the handlers (think turning up in france for a training camp with a £1k + boat completely beyond repair) and there being a 3 month waiting list to have a new one made..... so having boots that cost a few hundred quid a a few hours for a fitting isn't that much of a hassle in the grand scheme of things!
snow conditions
I put my boots in my hold suitcase. Plenty of space (for a bloke anyway Toofy Grin ). Usually weighs about 17Kg (got one of them worlds lightest jobbies).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On BA, in hand luggage ALWAYS!!! Never had a problem and check in staff have always said boots are fine. Simples
snow conditions
With BA I've always used a double bag and put pretty much everything in that - skis, poles, boots, helmet clothing and toiletries. I just made sure it was less than 23kg.

Is that now not allowed?
ski holidays
I took a ski boot as hand luggage on EasyJet, if they allow it then you'll be fine with most others Very Happy
snow conditions
You could always wear them
ski holidays
Cheers guys! My head is starting to feel less like a head mash and more like a head calm now. Why BA make it so hard and yet in practice it is so simple. A hand luggage suitcase is definitely being added to my xmas list now.
latest report
diarmuidlynch wrote:
You could always wear them

Lol. Yeah I thought of that, but thought I'd probably look like a bit of a plonker.
snow report
@bendiddley, Either that or go for one of these:

https://www.solutions4feet.com/catalogue/skiing/luggage/lange-basic-duo-boot-bag

I can fir my boots, i pad, travel docs, shell jacket and pants AND a few pairs of sock into it (really stuff your boots!!) - all the expensive stuff that you don't want to go missing if your hold luggage goes walkies!! Has either a shoulder strap or converts to a backpack - Best £30 Ive spent!!
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:

https://www.solutions4feet.com/catalogue/skiing/luggage/lange-basic-duo-boot-bag

I can fir my boots, i pad, travel docs, shell jacket and pants AND a few pairs of sock into it (really stuff your boots!!) - all the expensive stuff that you don't want to go missing if your hold luggage goes walkies!! Has either a shoulder strap or converts to a backpack - Best £30 Ive spent!!

Cheers mate.
latest report
Quote:

+1 <--> Three bashes flown in/out with BA (T5 + LGW) with this , no issues.
latest report
Taken boots in hand luggage in a small wheelie bag on BA many times, Airport security not connected with airline and there's no security policy stating you can't take them.
ski holidays
How many threads on this topic now? Could it be stickied?
snow report
Policies do change though...Easyjet for example have at least re-worded their policy, which helps (probably due to loads of people on this forum calling them), so it would need to change all the time...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy