Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon X-pro heated liners?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, just a quick one.

Just purchased some Salomon X-pro 130 boots, had them fitted but due to them feeling good I've been told that I do not need the shells heated, which I understand, but also the liners do not need heating either? Had a custom footbed which feels snug and improved the foot position noticeably.

I assumed that the liner would be heated to fit anyway, but I'm guessing by wearing for 20-30 hours prior to my first trip, this may assist in moulding the liner to shape, will this suffice?

Any advice would be appreciated 👍🏼 Damo
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@damoboy, nope.

think about it... if your foot heats hot enough to change the shape, it heats hot enough to deform the shape...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I enquired about these boots at major store and was told by the person who appeared in charge that " although the liners can be heated, they never bother because it gets a bit uncomfortable and the customers don't like to stand still in hot boots for 20 minutes".
Seems pretty pointless to have a "custom fit 3D LAB custom mouldable liner" and then not mould it. Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah that's pretty much what I thought but it seemed too obvious to argue, I will be going back then.... I guess i trusted the fitter and went with the "if it ain't broke then don't fix it" theory as they did fit well in the shop. ..thanks for the reply 👍🏼
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have the x-pro 120. The shop heated the shells first then put the liners in and then I stood in them. Then heated the liners and same process. I would go back sounds like they couldn't be bothered. It's a custom shell it will adapt even better to your feet. It's not uncomfortable but make sure you only have a thin ski sock on for the process.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That's the opinion I now have, the shop was getting busier despite me patiently waiting to make sure I was there when it opened to ensure I had a decent service.

I think given the comfort with these boots compared to my old ones, I just left happy that they were much better, but having thought about it, it makes sense to make use of the custom liner too!

Another road trip for me then. Thanks for the replies guys
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ok so here is the process we carry out on the salomon X pro/X Max boots

after the footbed has been built, we heat the shells, place strategic pressure padding on areas of the foot which are tight, put boot on buckle but not too tight, we then cool the boot for 10 mins in ice jackets with the customer stood on a granite block which a) helps cool the boot faster, b) keeps the soles flat

the liners are pre shaped for the ankle pockets, the shell is heated at 118 degrees and the heat transfers through to the liner and moulds it at the same time, we have discussed this with salomon numerous times and they don't actually have a definitive answer, the liner heater gets the liner to about 60 degrees, but the heat from the shell gets it hotter so heating the liner after the shell and having the customer stand around again is completely pointless, heating the liner at the same time as the shell can lead to it feeling too hot for comfort AND the liner is then soft so it does not push against the hot shell so would not deform it. the only reason we can see for doing the shell AND THEN the liner is to keep the customer in the shop for another 15 minutes so they might buy something else

heating the liner generally just helps with the break in of the boot, the foam in there will break down and auto mould to your foot shape over time, the pressures of skiing will do this, the biggest thing is that people what instant gratification from a boot fit and a nice warm soft fluffy liner gives that sensation

there are arguments for not heating the shell and the first basis of this would be that the foot fits the shell shape near perfectly and there was no need, after all until fairly recently most boots only had a heat mouldable liner and if the shell needed work you did it all in the workshop with traditional boot stretching tools, the other reason for not heating the shell is the shop either doesn't have the oven (they shouldn't have the boot either IMO)or they are just being lazy, but they should have explained why they are not moulding the shell or the liner

hope that makes sense
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No one on the shop explained why not and just said come back in a few weeks of the shell was still too tight above the instep, it wasn't hurting just more pressure than anywhere else. I was told that then they would look at heating the shell.

The only thing heated were the foot beds which I was told I needed with no explanation of cost etc, they even kept the original insoles as when I got home they had not put in the box.

I have emailed the store manager with no reply as yet, but been to another branch of this shop today who were pretty shocked at the treatment and have asked me to go in this week for a proper boot fitting, if I am not satisfied then they are will be more than happy to refund me. What a difference in stores!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy