Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Marmots of the year and now Bouquetin and pics!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
True sign that winter is on the way out as they don't need the internet to tell them Spring is sprung Toofy Grin

Hiking on S facing slope today at 1900 in grey overcast conditions, only a 150m below the snow line and heard the whistles and then dogs gave chase, saw three or four of them diving for cover.

Woman I spoke to on the way up as we were coming back down said they'd been out up there for 15 days now!

We've never hiked that route with high pasture terraces and shepherd's huts, and was obvious was pretty popular with three of four cars parked up by the time we'd got back down, though by then it was chucking it down and very grim.

We drove up to the Lautaret at 2,054 and was still raining hard, estimate FL around 2,700m and saw three groups starting out on show shoes in the foulest of conditions.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 8-04-16 15:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ok a bit blurred but he was a big boy (I think)

Who did not mind me stopping to take a pic - as I was out cycling today in Nevache valley

Was having a chat with a guide who had just come back to his car at the snow line asking him where he'd been and what was the snow like.

He said way to soft and heavy and dangerous, though bulletin is only 1-2 below 2,500 and 3 above that.

We were both bemoaning the current conditions and lack of a decent freeze / thaw cycle and the general state of the snow.

He said looking at me that at least I could get out on the bike whilst he had to try and find good conditions for his client on his weeks holiday rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, yes, I can see the marmot, centre foreground, but isn't that the Loch Ness monster near the top right of your second picture? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
 ....only a 150m below the snow line and heard the whistles and then dogs gave chase, saw three or four of them (ie marmots) diving for cover.........We drove up to the Lautaret at 2,054 and was still raining hard, estimate FL around 2,700m and saw three groups starting out on show shoes in the foulest of conditions.
Groups of marmots fair enough - but on snowshoes Shocked ?? Whatever next?? Toofy Grin

(Cheers Weathercam. Yes - they do seem to be out very early.)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went for a hike prior to the weather closing in taking a route above Monetier on the South side we've ski toured a few times and I suspected might be a few marmots around, and Les Rando Chiens were not disappointed, at one point seemed like the marmots were winding them up with one whistling 3 - 40ms away with the dogs going off in hot pursuit and then just as they neared that one another one in the opposite direction about the same distance away would start whistling.

Now have two very knackered dogs.

But high point was me spotting a Bouquetin just in front of the OH and then OH could not see it at first!!

She held the dogs whilst I went really close and like others we've come across before it really was not at all bothered, almost domesticated like a cow!

As for the weather you can see it was snowing just as I was near the Bouquetin at around 2,000m.

But it was not until we made it back down did the weather really close in, and that's three times this week.

As I'm typing this it's snowing on and off and air temp is 3.5 with a fair wind chill with wind coming from the North.

Weather seems to be very localised and last night I so nearly took some photos to show that. Our valley has a number of cols at either end(s), the Lautaret and the Izoard as well as Momtgenevre.

Yesterday I was in La Grave and at the top it was amazing to see the blanket of cloud running West and North of LG whilst Serre Che was cloudless with the cloud starting at the Lautaret.

Last evening walking home, there was a huge band of cloud hanging over the peaks surrounding the Lautaret but not encroaching down into the valley and the same was true at the other end over the Izoard and the mighty Pic de Rochebrune, and that is what happens so often with the weather patterns in that the mountain ridges stall and halt the advancing weather systems.

Oh well lets hope we get more than a dribble but I think we'll be lucky to see more than 10cm up top by tomorrow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good photos, thanks.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like a big old male.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Whitegold, yes I thought that too about @davidof, dressed up as a marmot Toofy Grin

PS the bouquetin was quite young as I was real close to it and unlike others I've seen up close hide was in good condition with no scars / lumps etc
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy