Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Livingo, Champouloc or Sauze d'Oulx?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
My husband and I are thinking of sneaking in a week's skiing in Italy on our own...before we go to Les Arcs with the family at Easter.

We skied in Cervinia the last 2 years, loved the resort and skiing, but lost at least a day both times due to lift closure because of high winds.

Looking at week beginning Feb 6th. Initially we thought Livigno, as it's high and hopefully fairly snow sure. The resort looks quite elongated, so was wondering if things were a bit disconnected. We'd like to be able to walk to lifts rather than rely on ski bus.

Sauze appealed...but is it too low, too many drags/ slow lifts?

Or Champouloc which was recommended by a ski instructor. But again is the resort disjointed? Skiing limited?

My husband is an expert skier, I prefer reds and blues (ok on non scary blacks if conditions are ok)

I know we could leave it to nearer the time and see how the snow is, but would like to book soon. Would really like to go back to Italy as we found it more friendly, and less expensive than France.

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have skied in Sauze but admittedly as an intermediate 15 yrs ago in a fallow year for snow. Recollect a nice area with fair amount of skiing and good prices.

Went to Champoluc this year. Really nice resort with some pleasant bars (bring out the pizza and cold meats for the drinkers Very Happy ). Whilst the area is not massive it has got enough to keep a good skier happy for a week. For an excellent skier they will be very happy as the off-piste is fabulous and some of it is easily accessible. You can easily ski onto to Gressony then onto Alagna. Just a short 5 minute walk on return from Alagna. There is an awesome gondola served off-piste mountain but you need transceivers etc to venture. We linked up with mountain guides aosta for a cheaps days guiding through our hotel (they seem to arrange something each week). Stayed in Hotel Champoluc which is piste side (though now under new management and much pricier with INghams). Do It Razz
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dodgy knees, if you can go a week earlier, you are clearer of school hols.

I skied Sauze as a kid. it seemed fine as a kid. Livigno's major attraction seemed to be its tax free status.

My Wife's family on her father's side come from Champoluc so we spend rather a lot of time there. it's very nice and sounds like it would suit your skiing.

Two (three?) of our personal world favourite restaurants are there too... wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you don't like slow lifts or drags then stay away from Sauze.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for comments so far, it's given us some things to think about.
Champouloc sounds lovely.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you do champoluc go with inghams so that you can use the hotel champoluc.. Ski to door and opposite the bistro bar Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Firstly, forget concerns for too low versus needing altitude for snow.
By the time you're into February, any resort with a half decent reputation should be rocking as far as snow conditions are concerned.
Of course, with altitude you get more consistent snow depth but also, inevitably, more wind.

Livigno's slopes come in 2 parts. Each side is well connected in itself with a regular bus service between the two. Livigno, being a tax free zone (passport control is at one end of the village; customs at the other) is very cost effective. It's certainly not without charm but it's far from the top of the list of Most Charming Italian Ski-Villages.

Champoluc is part of Monte Rosa ski area along with Gressoney and Alagna. As a domain I found it quite under-developed (this is a good thing IMHO). Lots of easy access off-piste where the French mega-domains would have plonked 4 pistes for Monte Rosa's 1.

Sauze, I've no experience of.

But...You can't be looking at Italy without taking the Dolomites into consideration.
Two main interconnected areas to choose between: Brenta Dolomites (Madonna di C, Folgarida & Pinzolo) and Dolomiti Superski. Each is beautiful, Superski is the bigger area.
It's not your week so the Bash itself wont suit you but on the Birthday Bash topic there are some lovely photos of the Superski area to give you an idea: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=119858&start=400#2772339
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
done all three and we are going back to Champoluc this year. Much more charm than Sauxe and the linked areas make a nice trek interspersed with some nice restaurant bars Smile the off pistes great as well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Much more charm than Sauxe

I disagree. I like both Sauze and Champoluc very much (don't know Livigno). Both have superb food and some really attractive mountain hut/restaurants superior to others I have found in the Alps. I think Sauze has slightly better skiing for you. Could argue that Champoluc is slightly better for an expert although I found the tree skiing in Sauze and Sestriere the best I have found in the Alps (huge amount, nice tree spacing, good angles, very quiet). I didnt find the lift system too creaky but we were there in January when it was quiet. All in all, you cant go wrong with either.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Champoluc is the only one ringed by 4000m peaks to look at...

We had a great week in the Hotel Breithorn,now run by Ski Total last year.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Champoluc is the only one ringed by 4000m peaks to look at...

Yes - I almost said that. The scenery is more dramatic.
But I'm a bit spoilt on that front on our home turf NehNeh
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have a look at Pila. Maybe too small for your expert (there are some crazy blacks) but great crusing Reds for you. A warm up week is supposed to be easy and peaceful before the harder holiday planned so could work out. No queues during the week and hotels in town many are ski in/out. The ski pass gives you a day out anywhere else in the Aosta Valley so you could go for a day trip to Champouloc to check it out too - or vice versa.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hotel champoluc is ski to door, well worth it
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I havent skied in Champoluc but I have in Sauze and Livigno. I would say that the skiing in Sauze is a lot more varied with more challenges than Livigno. In Livigno, the limited number of black runs are more like french reds. The lifts have never really been a problem in Sauze; yes they are are a bit older than some of the french and Austrian resorts but this doesnt really affect the skiing - rarely any queues or lift closures. I have skied in Sauze in Feb several times and lack of snow has never been an issue. In fact I was planning to go there again this feb but due to some last minute drop outs and waiverers this may not be possible so am considering the snowheads Birthday bash as an alternative. Sauze and the linked resorts of the milky way has some great skiing, tree lined runs for bad days and represents great value.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Giffordpikes, agree on all re Sauze. Am a repeat visitor for those reasons.
latest report
Love the tree skiing in Sauze. Mountain huts are great. Slow lifts aren't so nice, not a fan of drag lifts, but there is awesome skiing where the drag lifts are, keeps the riff-raff out, so I suck it up and deal with it.

I have a lovely accommodation there, which is affordable and makes me feel spoiled, so I'm going back to explore more with a season pass this year.
ski holidays
I would pick Sauze, it is a fun place, skiing is good, atmosphere is great,you can traverse to sesteriere and ski decent stuff, livigno is nice, but not worth the transfer,
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy