Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ISO: Destination recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. As per title really.
Mr ‘Noceros and I are looking for somewhere to ski for two weeks in January.

We are decent skiers but fairly piste focussed. I am perhaps more timid than him but am booked on a BASI 2 at the end of the season so can and will ski Black pistes in control even if they’re not my favourite thing…

Criteria:
Ideally somewhere new for us (so not SkiWelt, Zillertal or Val d’Aosta please).
Plenty of km’s - we don’t mind revisiting pistes but cover about 50km (not including uplift) most days and like to explore.
Linked to that - ideally able to ski rather than bus to outlying resorts, although our recent trip to the Gasteinertal was really successful.
Don’t mind driving, or booking via a TO.
Budget pp for two weeks (accommodation/ travel / lift pass) ideally <£2k
Very ideally accommodation with (free to use) spa facilities but that would be a bonus.
And finally:
NOT North America - we’re not insured!

Places we’re currently looking at:
Kaprun
Zell am See
The Val Gardena but don’t know where to base ourselves
Possibly another two centre trip in the greater Ski Amade area (yes, I know that “breaks” the somewhere new but we don’t know the area THAT well and there’s loads more to explore…)

Sort of fancy the PdS but ££££! Also probably can’t / won’t afford Switzerland.

Over to you guys!
Suggestions welcome please…
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@KNoceros, if you're driving and don't mind an extra hour or two each way, and fancy something a bit different, there's some great skiing in the Alpes du Haute Provence / alpes maritimes. Risoul, Vars, Orcierres Merlette, Pra Loup, Superdevouloy, Isola 200 etc and accommodation is normally cheaper than in the main French areas, much much quieter and much cheaper....maybe a 2 centre is in order???
Sunweb and Snowtrex normally have good value but good quality accommodation available.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
KNoceros wrote:

Sort of fancy the PdS but ££££! Also probably can’t / won’t afford Switzerland.

We've two nice studios available for some of that time. 5% SnowHeads discount. Accommodation comes in at less than half of that, then lift pass, food, travel... might still be within budget.

No spa facilities, I'm afraid; but I often like to ski with guests so might be able to give some pointers for your BASI 2 if you feel the need...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@KNoceros, I had wondered whether to chime in to say your budget seemed fine for Switzerland as long as you are happy self-catering (and your January dates don't include New Year), but @Chaletbeauroc's offer proves the point with his offer that is both Swiss and PdS. But no spa.

Provided you can compromise on the spa (which tends to mean an up-market hotel) you could find something in many resorts if you search around. Lots of possibilities, I am assuming any resort over 250km would keep you happy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks both.
Spa definitely “optional” but might clinch it if everything else was equal.

The problem as @j b, alluded to, is too much choice!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Initially I thought your budget was a bit tight because I thought it was for both of you but it is actually quite generous for the big French resorts.

It will cost about £4-500 to drive to Les Arcs depending on the crossing mode, time and fuel consumption of the vehicle. It will, of course, cost more if you decide to break the trip with a stay in a hotel, but I can never be bothered with that.

An apartment will cost about 1500€

lift pass prices haven't been anounced yet but I suspect a 13 day pass will cost about 700€ each

So a 14 day trip to Les Arcs will cost about £1700 each assuming the pound sterling reaches parity with the euro before winter, but without spa
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
KNoceros wrote:
The problem ... is too much choice!

So given PdS is actually on your wish list, and lets you experience a little bit of Switzerland, why not PM @Chaletbureauc and see if your dates match. That ridge with the Swiss border would give you a lot of trip options putting km under your skis, even if you might struggle to exploit all of the advertised 600km piste (the further reaches of Les Gets, thinking of Mont Chery, are a long way with two cross-village transfers).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 18-09-22 18:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@KNoceros,
Any of the Tarentaise mega resorts for your distance skied/day and interlinked requirements - 3 Valleys, Paradiski or Espace Killy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@KNoceros, your thread title had me a bit puzzled with your use of ISO, the only use of it I was aware of was the International Standards Organisation, and I wondered what that has got to do with it! Laughing

However doing a quick internet search it seems it's also an abbreviation for "In Search Of", so you live and learn. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Alastair Pink, oops. Sorry! (Somewhat new to forum abbreviations myself…! )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Chaletbeauroc, will definitely have a look at your site. Thanks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@KNoceros, Cool. Please feel free to message/email me even if you're just wanting more info about the area.

Morgins often gets overlooked, but access to the rest of the PdS in both directions is great. We particularly like, especially at busy times, the relatively underused, but quite extensive area from SuperChatel towards Abondance. Ski back to the village and it's just a couple of minutes walk home. And of course the other direction takes you via les Crosets to Avoriaz in about an hour or so, lovely long home runs back from that side. Again, not so crowded on the Swiss side as over in France, so lift queues really aren't a thing over here.

And there's a variety of starting points just a short drive away if you want to go further into France, as discussed here

Edit: Forgot to add: there's a 15% reduction on lift passes if you book them before the end of November https://www.skipass-pds-ch.ch/recherche/portes-du-soleil/14-jours/2023-01-07?offer=6mi5fxjqfnv9&bestOfferSearch=1&season=hiver-2022-2023&pax=2&ages=30,30&_action=search
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sella ronda!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy