Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl in January

Poster: A snowHead
On the list for a group trip this season. Three questions for any informed snowHead's

1) Is it too cold for the depths of winter? (All relative I know but compared to typical Austrian 800m-ish resorts)

2) Most reviews I can find seem to indicate it's favoured by Western Europeans and Brits. Is this so? We may have to go on 10th January but want to avoid the worst of the Soviet hordes!

3) Hotel Bergwelt, any thoughts?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can be freezing but the price you pay for guaranteed snow, don't let the cold put you off just take suitable protection in case it is cold.

Only just beginning to get discovered by Ruskies, they have bought a hotel though so may be more will be arriving.

Berg welt very nice but location not ideal, try edelweiss or any around it.

Best part is après ski in nedderhutt unbeatable in the alps
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We went to Obergurgl for the first time last year in March. Loved it! It was flipping boiling though in March so January might be nice and cool. Don't miss out on the spectacle of the James Bond style bar over in Hochgurgl and I had many a happy Aperol Spritz at David's Hutte at the end of a day. We were with Ski Espirit so not sure on hotels
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bergwelt is nice. Gotthard better.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jenewein hotel has good food and a great location - right next to the main chair and one of the two gondolas. Ski room entrance is right next to the outdoors barrel bar which is a good spot for a quick drink after the last ski of the day. Like any high altitude resort it can be grim in a whiteout, but we've been there for two different new year weeks and only had one day with the resort actually shut. When I think of Obergurgl I mostly think of immaculate groomers under blue skies. Very rare to have much in the way of queues so early Jan should be a delight.

If you want to get the full "queuing with Russians" experience take the bus down to Solden for the day. Lots of Russians there and hellish queues at the main gondolas out of town.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Edelweiss & Gurgl is definitely the best hotel IMHO and you simply could not be nearer to a gondola and a chairlift. The skiing is predominantly intermediate with good tree skiing for bad viz days. Lovely old mountain restaurants and don't miss the Schonweisshutte who will tow you up behind a skidoo for lunch.
Linked to Hochgurgl by gondola and with guaranteed snow, this resort is one of my favourites (but sorry to hear about the possible Russian invasion.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AFAIA, two hotels are now Russian owned: The Gamper (now called the Gurglhof, I think) and the Josl. Rudi Gamper still owns the Nederhutte and plays guitar and sings (well, kind of) in the band. I think the Ideal Hotel in Hochgurgl is also Russian owned.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Many thanks to all for your replies. We are going on 17th January to the Hotel Crystal, which looks rather fab and would appear to be well linked with a gondola more or less in the hotel! Bergwelt and a few others weren't available.
I appreciate its on the edge of the village but it doesn't strike me as much of a hike around the place?

Crystal Holidays tell me that even for January holidays the higher resorts are selling out fast and that flight availability out of Scotland is the same. Apparently a general pick up in demand and a wish to be high after last year are the two factors? I know that we should take what they say with a pinch of salt but this was after the booking was made so no need for them to tell me that to get me to book?

Will take my chances with the Russians, at least being more than a week after orthodox New Year it shouldn't be too bad. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
robboj, We stayed in the Crystal about five years ago.
Nice hotel and good food
Waiter service was a bit disorganized but a German friend with us went into the kitchen and asked if they needed a hand as they seemed to be struggling Shocked we never had issues after that.
Nice pool and bar though I think that has been changed since we were there
You are close to one of the lifts and can ski back at the end of the day
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
robboj, there are 2 parts to the crystal or at least here was 3 years ago when we stayed. the sportiv crystal is the 'cheaper' and more relaxed part and is on the mountain side of the road with the chairlift directly outside the boot room. the crystal hotel is the more expensive part and is on the other side f the road(10mts) and also has on overhead wlkway linking both together. the leisure facilities are shared by both but on the sportiv side.

we have stayed in the sportiv twice and loved it although we dont tend to do much of a night. ski hire is available in the boot room of the sportiv with schreiber sports and they have top quality equipment but as with all rentals in this area it is more expensive than most.

you will love obergurgl
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is it worth taking a day trip to Obergurgl from Soelden in Jan? Wanting a couple of half days private lessons in Soelden and to ski the map... any thoughts?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In good weather it is worth considering a day trip as it is just a few extra euros and a free bus.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
robboj, We stayed at the Hotel Crystal (via Crystal Holidays or Crystal Ski or whatever they are called) last March. It was excellent. The kids loved the pool. Location was great. Food was excellent. Service was absolutely first class. Can't recommend it highly enough. Rooms were also v large and spacious. Can't think of any complaints at all. Nor did I hear a single Russian accent all week. (not that I mind the Russians anyway). Any other Q's, do give me a shout.

Access to ski hire and the lifts couldn't have been easier either.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks again folks, and in particular foxtrotzulu, will think of some more detailed questions to put to you. Its a bit of a change for us as we've skied mainly in Zell am See for about 12 years now so its quite exciting to be going somewhere new as opposed to somewhere I know like the back of my hand.

Im reckoning it'll be a different experience all round, going from a 'county town' type all year round resort to a pure ski 'tumbleweed in summer' resort but I'm sure the snow and the magnificence of higher alpine terrain will make up for it? There's nothing wrong with ZamS but we were literally traumatised by conditions there for a large part of our holiday last January.

Don't want to appear anti Russian as have met a few truly delightful Russian folks but the majority of experiences have been less pleasant so a tad wary.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
foxtrotzulu, Some questions have come up.

Did you hire skis and if so did you book them with Crystal Ski? (as opposed to crystal hotel) And where were they supplied from?

If you took your own skis does the hotel have lockers or was that provided in the lift building?

Sorry to be a pest but found out today that Crystal ski have tried to mug us for approx £30 each on the cost of ski passes despite assurances that they were no dearer and probably cheaper than locally which added to their desire to sit on our cash to pay for them 12 weeks in advance has rather tuned up my suspicions of bullshoit all round. Those hiring kit are apparently on a two for one deal but no clear answers are forthcoming as to what that means in terms of quality etc
snow conditions
There's an Intersport just up the road from the Crystal hotel that my friends hired their gear with. We took out own. The ski guide was horrified watching us lock up our skis and said 'Zis is Austria, people don't steal skis here'
snow report
robboj,
Quote:

Did you hire skis and if so did you book them with Crystal Ski? (as opposed to crystal hotel) And where were they supplied from?
There is a ski hire shop within the Crystal Hotel complex. You just walk in your socks through the building to a wonderful heated/drying boot and ski room. The shop is all part of it. You may find cheaper skis elsewhere, but the convenience is absolutely unbeatable. I actually booked with the ski shop directly having chatted to them on webchat via their webpage (Scheiber Sport S3, Tel. +43 5256 6209 802, E-Mail: info@scheibersport.com ). I think that was the cheaper way of doing it vs. via Crystal Ski, but I'm not sure there was much in it. have a look online and compare)

Quote:

If you took your own skis does the hotel have lockers or was that provided in the lift building?

Hotel has amazing ski/boot locker facilities.

Quote:

Sorry to be a pest but found out today that Crystal ski have tried to mug us for approx £30 each on the cost of ski passes despite assurances that they were no dearer and probably cheaper than locally which added to their desire to sit on our cash to pay for them 12 weeks in advance has rather tuned up my suspicions of bullshoit all round. Those hiring kit are apparently on a two for one deal but no clear answers are forthcoming as to what that means in terms of quality etc
We arranged ski passes on arrival, but through Crystal. I don't remember them being more expensive and the service was very good. My experience of Crystal was that they are pretty low on cowdoo and worked hard top give a good, fair service, so I'd keep an open mind and not be too suspicious. You can always call Scheiber direct and see if they can match the Crystal offer and get your ski passes on the bus / in village.
snow conditions
robboj,
Quote:

Im reckoning it'll be a different experience all round, going from a 'county town' type all year round resort to a pure ski 'tumbleweed in summer' resort but I'm sure the snow and the magnificence of higher alpine terrain will make up for it?

I have no idea what ZamS is like, but Obergurgl is a 'proper' village. It's not like Flaine might be in October and I think you'll find it has plenty of charm.
ski holidays
If you buy passes and ski hire from Crystal on the coach on the way to resort, you'll pay what you'll pay if you buy independently (give or take). If you buy from Crystal before that, you'll pay a premium for kit hire, ski school and passes.
snow report
dobby,
Quote:

you'll pay a premium for kit hire, ski school and passes.
Are you sure that's accurate? Most TO's get a discount so that they can, at the least, give you the same price as if you did it independently.
ski holidays
Many of the hotels in Obergurgl e.g. (Edelweiss and Gurgl) will sell you the lift passes at face value and just add them to your bill and will give a 10% reduction on equipment higher prices if the shop is associated with the hotel. Depending on how your credit card works this can save a fair amount (in my case the least expensive route is to be billed in Euros because the card doesn't charge a conversion fee which IIRC is normally around 2.75%). IME, the most expensive option can be to buy from the TO on the bus because they convert Euros to Sterling at a poor rate and then charge 2(?)% on top for using a credit card.
latest report
foxtrotzulu, yep. Usually works out more expensive if book with TO in advance (certainly for the last couple of years I have done it).
snow report
robboj, if you dont get through crystal you can walk out of the crystal boot room all of 10mts and the lift station also has a lift pass counter. i have used scheiber several times and they have top quality kit but its expensive compared to france but no more expensive than other top resorts in austria. i split a tail on a pair of atomic slalom skis (£700 skis) and they just shrugged their shoulders and replaced them.
snow report
Thanks all, have cancelled the lift pass bookings and will just get them there either in the hotel or in the lift building. It does make me wonder when you hear the T/O talk about the time saved queuing for your lift pass if you pre-order. Has anyone ever had to do this? I mean a proper queue, not just a couple of people in front of you? I'm all for convenience but for £30 per pass plus the 'loan' of more than £1200 for 12 weeks I felt that was taking the pee a bit?

T/O confirms that ski hire for those that need it is through Scheiber and will be done in the building for guests in the Crystal so given we have a two for one offer I'm happy with that. I notice Scheiber have 5 rental levels from Diamond down to Bronze and the offer applies at Silver level which I'm sure will be fine?
snow report
I don't recall any queues in Obergurgl!
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
dobby,
Quote:

you'll pay a premium for kit hire, ski school and passes.
Are you sure that's accurate? Most TO's get a discount so that they can, at the least, give you the same price as if you did it independently.

That would appear to be changing? Definitely with the passes and also with the kit hire although the 241 offer still makes it cheaper. The other thing is the full balance now 12 weeks in advance. We DIY'd last season, but the season before it was 10 weeks and not long and I think for a long time before that it was 8 weeks so there's definitely some kind of squeeze going on?
ski holidays
bagginsmum wrote:
I don't recall any queues in Obergurgl!

What about the queue to get down stairs to the toilets at the Nedderhutte?
snow conditions
I cross my legs. Needing a wee makes me ski faster Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Right...I have been to Obergurgl 5 times and trip number 6 is booked to the Sportiv with Crystal ski, Jan 10th.So I know a bit!

1. Don't pay Crystal for lift passes etc until you are on the coach going to resort.
2. The lift pass, its worth paying an extra 10 euros for the day in Solden.
3. Day in Solden.... get the free ski bus down for free, 0845 from out side the Festkogel, then get bus back at tea time. Don't pay the reps for the official trip its so EASY!
4. Beni and his staff in the Scheiber ski shop are great, expensive but worth it, all top banana professionals, if you pre book on line and then want to upgrade change your skis Beni is very helpful.
5. Leo and Diane are the hotel managers, if you look at the hotel web site you will find info. Do not hesitate to email them and ask for whatever!
6. The Crystal is posh, lots of expensive German grey cars in the underground car park..... so take some tidy clothes for the evening.
7. We always stay in the Sportiv as its cheaper, relaxed and very cheerful!
8. The afternoon tea from 3 to 5 is amazing, pay for drinks, eat great free food.
9. Pool is super, outdoor pool open after 1600. Slippers, dressing gown,swanky pool basket to put your stuff in in your room.
10. Staff....Stephan , Alessio, Dalibor, Dario seem to always be there, they are wonderful .
11. Your room card allows entry to the ski/ boot room , pool etc.
12. Its a smallish resort, we see it as a holiday with skiing....well we are old gits, obviously enjoy the whole experience. Shame that we are not there at same time.
Have a wonderful time, walk into the town after dinner and have drinks in the other hotels...all very swanky.
If you like horses, the Haflinger stable behind the church is impressive, usually a couple of new foals to admire.
Any more info?
Cheers
V Very Happy
snow conditions
@badgerlover, agree with everything you say. We have stayed in the Sportiv twice in recent years. The facilities shared with the Hotel Crystal are superb. Not sure whether Sportive guests still get afternoon tea in the Crystal though - might be worth checking. Only thing I would add is how close the Festkogel gondola is to the bootroom - about 10 metres - and you can ski back into the bootroom almost.
ski holidays
@Big Dave,
Quote:

Only thing I would add is how close the Festkogel gondola is to the bootroom - about 10 metres - and you can ski back into the bootroom almost.

I'd say it's even less than 10m. We used to ski into the lift!

Pretty sure Sportiv guests don't come into the Crystal for tea. I'm not sure they ever come into the main Crystal building.
ski holidays
We certainly went into the Crystal for afternoon tea (and very special it was) when we stayed in the Sportiv in January and March 2013 - but I saw something recently which suggested that afternoon tea is now provided in the Sportiv.
snow conditions
Many thanks to all

I cancelled the Crystal booked passes they were making not much short of £30 per pass. I've never pre-booked these anywhere before but accepted assurance from sales rep that they would be no dearer. Lesson learned.

The Crystal Hotel does look fab. I have already emailed a couple of questions and they have been super helpful. Thanks for tips about Scheiber. I have all my own kit but the others are hiring and its good to know it will all be squared away.

Also thanks for tip about the stable, two of us are very much enthusiasts so will definitely have a look.

Yes, likewise, the whole group is on the thin end of the egg timer of life so nice and simple suits us too.

@badgerlover, yes its a pity we're a week out, it would have been grand to have your knowledge on the hill. I have skied mainly in one place for years and am used to being in your shoes here so its a bit strange going somewhere new.

I have been studying the piste map and one thing you can probably answer me just now is when we ascend the Festkogelbahn what is the easiest way to get to Hochgurgl using the TopExpress? Two of the group are really only happy on blue runs and there doesn't seem to be a way to it on a blue? There is a blue 3a that breaks off of red 3 but that would appear to be below the lift station or does it just appear that way due to the limitations of 2d graphics? If blue 5 then red 3 is the only route would you recommend it for them, i.e. is it a blue-ish or a black-ish red? I found a video on youtube and whilst the person filming seems to spend most of their time playing on the edges it doesn't look to bad- a little bumpy but that's maybe because of some nervous blue run skiers using it for just this reason?
ski holidays
@robboj, Others may remember the runs better than I can, but the pistes from Festkoglbahn to TopExpress are v easy indeed. From memory there is nothing to give a Blue Run skier a moments concern on the run down to TopExpress. At the risk of worrying the expert skiers in the party I'd say you can probably downgrade all runs by almost one colour.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@robboj, Others may remember the runs better than I can, but the pistes from Festkoglbahn to TopExpress are v easy indeed. From memory there is nothing to give a Blue Run skier a moments concern on the run down to TopExpress. At the risk of worrying the expert skiers in the party I'd say you can probably downgrade all runs by almost one colour.

That's right. Though Piste 3 is marked as a red it only becomes red(dish) below the Top Express link. And if you stay on the left of the piste it is even less steep approaching the lift - just need to remember to cut across in time as the lift is on the right as you are going down the mountain.
snow report
Thanks, thats good news. As I said it didn't look too bad on that video but it was hard to tell. Actually I'm quite happy to hear that runs are marked over cautiously. Too old for steeps now rolling eyes

Saw an interesting video of the descent from the Hohe Mut Alm and it looks narrow in places near the top?
ski holidays
Definitely keep to the left on the way to Top Express link as mentioned above. My 12 year old granddaughter froze on it last April and she is a good skier - but we were on the right side and it is not flattering.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:

+1

Also don't forget to have a go at the night skiing.
snow conditions
robboj,
Quote:

Saw an interesting video of the descent from the Hohe Mut Alm and it looks narrow in places near the top?

Don't worry at all. We were a gang of about 15 (!) including a child of about 8 who had only skiied for 4-5 days. He wasn't a natural. but even he didn't have any problem with that run. Honestly not difficult and not crowded either IME.
ski holidays
Quote:

Also don't forget to have a go at the night skiing.

We never got around to it. Once you are back in the hotel with a glass of wine in your hand I can never be bothered to get all kitted up again to go night skiing. I gather the toboggan run is pretty good though. Check out the videos.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy