Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jones Snowboard question

Poster: A snowHead
Just a quick question. I rode a Jones All Mountain Twin this year and loved it. I've been trying to find one of last years models in the UK sales but with no joy. I have seen the Flagship which also gets great reviews but is directional and seems a bit more on the freeride side of the fence.

Anyone have any experience with the Flagship? How does it compare to the Twin in terms of weight and flex?

I'm really looking for one board do it all.

Other options are the Lib Tech Attack Banana and the Burton Custom.

cheers

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 21-07-15 23:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was all lined up to buy a MT - if id have found one in the right size at the time I would have bought it, but I was talked around by by someone into trying the Flag and thats where i spent my money. While both have the All Mountain stamp,The MT is very much more a park orientated board
. If thats your goal then fair play, but if you're just dabbling in freestyle and spending the bulk of your time on piste or at speed then maybe the FS is the way forward.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Getting too old for more than just the odd visit to the park for some small/medium kickers! I spend most of my time off piste in Scotland and the odd trip abroad. I really liked the lightness and responsiveness of the MT. It was just really easy to play with - especially through the choppy stuff, through trees and in the lighter fresh (what little I got the weekend I had it hired).

Having read some more its pretty much between the MT and the Flagship. They both seem like fine boards. There also seems to be a MT Ultra out this year... although it seems to peak at 160 and I could do with a 161W as a minimum.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Has anyone seen any offers going on these ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The flagship is hard work in moguls, give Boardwise Cannock a bell they might have mountain twins left.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@francium., Cheers, not too far from me so I might pop in.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gave Boardwise a call but they only have the MT in the LTD edition left and its too small at 158 for me.

Looks like the 2016 models will be in soon. Massive range in prices on the various websites from £349 to £419... how can they be so different? I like the colour scheme on the MT ultra - it will go with my yellow snowboard pants, however not sure it will be worth the extra £££!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They used to do ex demo boards there. I might see if they have a 'used' one.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Had a good look around but couldnt find one from last season anywhere!

The guys at snowcountry.eu did me a great deal including a pre-order discount on a 2016 161w so I went with that. £50 cheaper than the best UK shop price and that includes shipping. Really looking forward to the winter now.

P
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Out of interest how much did you pay for the board? I'm looking to get hold of one of these for next season too!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think it was about £330 plus £6 shipping. Bargain!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow sounds a great price - was that just online or did you have to call them?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

think it was about £330 plus £6 shipping. Bargain!

MASSIVE bargain for the 2016 board!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Actually it was a little better than that. Was £328 incl shipping!

Just checked the Euro to £ rate and its pretty good right now. If you email Thijs at helpdesk@snowcountry.eu I'm sure he'll be able to sort you out. The best price I've seen elsewhere is £379 and even as much as £405 so yes a good deal!

Bring on the snow.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the tip - just got one ordered for the OH as a new season / christmas present Smile
snow conditions
Today I recieved my new board thanks to snowcountry.eu. credit where credits due they were a dream to deal with, price was amazing and the board turned up today with no issues.

Now looking forward to winter and some snow!

M
snow report
Got mine on Monday - the other half was really pleased Smile Just a shame we probably won't get to use it this year due to unexpected baby arrival!!
latest report
Been looking at Jones boards recently myself but findng it hard to digest whats what!

Im looking for a board thats going to hold a wicked speed be of use to me all over the mountain and the odd run through the park (a few kickers nothing major)

What should i be looking at?
snow conditions
You'll be wanting a mountain twin then, go for the ultra is you want a stiffer board. However the normal will be better in the park.
ski holidays
Thats pretty much the definition of the Flagship - I've only got a couple of days on mine but it was certainly quicker and more lively to ride than my old Burton Triumph, which is about a thousand years old but could more than hold its own in pace.
ski holidays
Ive been looking at the Aviator Ultra....

No use for me?
ski holidays
Something inside me doesn't like the idea of a directional board probably just me being an idiot though.
latest report
The flagship isn't a snowboard you'd use for park and they're hard work in moguls.
snow conditions
Sure it's no jib board but it's not so stiff that you couldn't run it through its paces in the park - Responds well to putting the effort in, but then I'd been used to something pretty stiff to start with.
ski holidays
Am i right in saying that the Mountain Twin has a set back stance as well?
snow report
Yep both the mountain twin and the aviator have 20mm set back the aviator is stiffer than the twin and full camber, the twin is cam rock. If I had to have one board out of those 2 i'd have the twin it's a jack of all trades but a master of none.
latest report
Right ok let me try and get my head around this...

The Aviator is a rocker camber and the Mountain Twin is traditional camber?
snow conditions
I've not found either my old Flagship or my newer Carbon Flagship to be any real effort on moguls. I'm perfectly happy with a brief stint in the air on either of them too, but then again I'm never looking for a park. They'll just about ride switch if necessary so, given how awesome they are all over the mountain in a freeride style, I can't see why you'd want to compromise with a twin if you're not all about the tricks. Never tried an MT or an Aviator though, so give my advice whatever attention it deserves.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The flagship is a freeride snowboard, built for going fast down steep terrain not really much good for park. The aviator is full Camber pretty stiff good for kickers and carving but not great float in powder. The MT is rcr is good for carving, pow and kickers not really a rail board. In the OP you say you rode the MT and really liked it, the other boards don't ride the same and are built for different uses. In the Jones line up the MT is the board that is good at everything the ultra version is just stiffer.
ski holidays
The specifications seem fairly clear on their website. The entry level boards are necessarily less specific and more of a compromise. I would start with those. You're not going to find a board which is "wicked at speed" and good in the park: the requirements pull in opposite directions. Adequate is a better target. You just have to decide where the compromise is made.

Twins which are in fact not twins are (in my view) a bit of a marketing concept so people can have the benefits of riding a directional board without feeling that you can't go switch. Of course you can ride anything switch. If you don't know if a board's true twin or not then it most likely does not matter to you.

Note that the MT has nine sizes, which I think is excellent as in my opinion precise sizing is more important than anything else. I'd rather ride "the wrong board" at the right size than the other way around. With those I'd pick a board to start with based on a peek at their weight ranges, then try one model up/ down depending on how it feels. Getting it right without trying would be a risk: there are more wrong sizes than right there by 9:1.
snow report
@philwig, tell me about size, so to speak Wink

I need to refesh my snow kit, I'm on quite a stiff Santa Cruz GLX @ 163. I'm 5-10 / 8kg but have never really gelled with it.

The Jones MT sounds tempting as an all rounder.
ski holidays
Im swaying towards the Jones MT Ultra.

Any deals on the go Very Happy ?
latest report
Anyone in attendance at the Hemel ski test? We could do an underground snowboard test and exchange program that evening.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy