Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montchavin or somewhere else?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Autumn is here! And that means getting very excited about the season ahead.

We've got Geneva flights booked for the end of January. Two mid-thirties couples looking for a self-catered apartment in a quiet, authentic village with ski-in/ski-out(ish) access to a big area.

I think Montchavin fits the bill. I'm in love with the Tarentaise valley (we visit every summer). I've skied in Les Arcs a couple of times and enjoy the Vallandry end. Haven't been to La Plagne in winter so it's a whole new ski area to explore whilst having the benefits of somewhere familiar on the doorstep. I've mountain-biked my way through Montchavin a few times so I know it's small and pretty but I just don't know what it's like in winter - we only need a couple of small bars and a restaurant and we'll be happy.

Is there anywhere else I should consider? PDS is out as we'll be going there later in the season. I've looked at Grand Massif but I don't really know it well. Samoens appeals in terms of authenticity but it's not really ski-in/ski-out, as far as I'm aware.

Open to suggestions - even if that's "just go and stay in Montchavin"!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Chalets de Jouvence in Les Carroz (Grand Massif) fits all your requirements and is nearer Geneva.

You will not find accommodation of the same level in Montchavin and Montchavin/Les Coches are less well connected to La Plagne than Vallandry is to Les Arcs in my opinion. If you haven't skied the Grand Massif you should give it a try. There are lots of cosy mountain restaurants for lunch stops and the slopes above Morillon and Les Carroz are beautiful.

Samoens and La Clusaz are very pleasant villages although not ski to and from the door.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Montchavin is lovely. By far the nicest part of La Pagne, IMHO. I'm not sure just how ski In ski out you ' lol get. Belle Plagne is higher, better linked, not a rural pasture village but nicely designed and apartments on the pistes.

La clusaz is lovely though nowhere near as vast as La Plagne.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@cameronphillips2000, whilst few places are literally ski in ski out, most places are within a couple of minutes walk of the lifts, it's a small village. I am biased because I spent a season there, but I much prefer that part of La Plagne.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Montchavin is a fantastic location. Great for the Vanoise Express and access to Les Arcs. It is a bit of drag to get over to the the rest of La Plagne, but you do have the added advantage of some fantastic long runs all the way home. Having worked a season in La Plagne I would thoroughly recommend it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jenniper, have a browse through this brochure:

http://smbt.g-r-c.fr/userfile/file/1413899628_Guide_neige.pdf

Don't be afraid to try somewhere new.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snowymum, I've stayed in Les Coches a few times but Montchavin seems equally nice and well connected. Like others mention you will be close to the VE so can get over to Les Arcs at the drop of a hat or mosey up to the main La Plagne area. The real bonus is that the skiing above is great and there is a fair bit of skiing below the tree line for when conditions are ropey. Go for it and enjoy.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
self-catered apartment in a quiet, authentic village with ski-in/ski-out(ish) access to a big area . . . . in love with the Tarentaise valley . . . . only need a couple of small bars and a restaurant and we'll be happy

Jenniper, Montchavin is just as pretty in the winter. It has all you need. Montchavin it is! snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think I'm going to go for it (albeit we've found a nice apartment in Les Coches! Laughing )

Thanks everyone!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We stayed in Alpshack in Montchavin les Coches a few years ago. Beautiful catered chalet with hot tub. Not sure from their website whether they are still operating?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowymum wrote:
Les Chalets de Jouvence in Les Carroz (Grand Massif) fits all your requirements and is nearer Geneva.

You will not find accommodation of the same level in Montchavin and Montchavin/Les Coches are less well connected to La Plagne than Vallandry is to Les Arcs in my opinion. If you haven't skied the Grand Massif you should give it a try. There are lots of cosy mountain restaurants for lunch stops and the slopes above Morillon and Les Carroz are beautiful.

Samoens and La Clusaz are very pleasant villages although not ski to and from the door.

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip on Les Chalets de Jouvence - I've bookmarked them for next year when it's just the two of us and we can spend a bit more on accommodation.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jenniper, Glad the tip was useful.

Hope you have a lovely time in Les Coches. We stayed there once and the wooded runs above it are very pleasant.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy