Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sauze d'Oulx Snowboard Hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Could somebody advise a first timer where the best place in Sauze d'Oulx to hire a snowboard is?

I have read a couple of blogs saying that a few hire places have been trying to scam people by using poor boards as standard making them upgrade for more money if they want a half decent board. So if anybody can tell me where i should head for a decent service without the worry of being scamed!!

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On the way up to the cloates lift there is a little wooden style shop opposite the first slope you come to auzzie guy in there bought quite a bit from him over the years great service and a genuine nice guy done my friends a good deal with boards the other year they where more than happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the shop i hired my gear from was pretty good!! it is just round the back of the tourist information(near the pizza place) rund by an english guy.....his staff are all very friendly!!
i messed them about a fair bit and they were always happy to help!! i had booked ski hire only but got there and wanted to change to boarding and for 17euro's they did this for me with boots included!!! had to change after the first day as the boots were too big and that wasn't a problem!
then after half the week snowboarding was in too much pain and wanted my ski's back....so i went back and he sorted that out and upgraded my ski's for free!!
his main employer was really friendly...a youngish brittish guy!!
the "scam" bit i would imagine would come from booking a basic package over here...then realising that the boards/ski's are exactly that...basic! and wanting to upgrade to a better one, which is going to cost money wherever you are!! some tour op's only offer the basics and you need to upgrade in resort anyway!!
One piece of advice....wherever you go, get in as early as poss!!! the best stuff goes quickly!! due to delay's and bad flight times we were left with what he had....which wasn't that bad!!! but do expect deep cuts on them as the snow conditions are so poor alot of the time...
hope you have a great time tho!! Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apparently the scam is they hire you the kit and then steal it back from outside a cafe or such like then charge you for loosing it the when you've gone home after the week put it back in circulation don't know anyone this has happened to it may be just dreamt up by reps so you hire from them its just what we where told
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Top_Taff, been to Sauze a couple of times and just back yesterday. I've got my own gear but our group hired from the shop next The Grotto and got pretty good service. It's on the left as you go up the hill to the lifts. If the tourist info place is on your right hand side, The Grotto bar will be on your left and you should see a ski shop with some stairs down below the road level - that the place, sorry i can't remember the name. The boots were new and pretty good, the boards were ok waxed and the edegs were good.............but remember your hiring so don't expect the best boards, these boards are to last a season in all sorts of conditions so they are not going to the be the best spec, they are going to be built to last, but it wont affect you if you are learning! If you want better boards you have to pay for it, a decent beginner/intermediate board to buy, will set you back £300+ boots £150+ bindings £150+, so for £80 for all the kit, what do you expect?

I wouldn't hire from Paulo (i think that's the name) at the bottom of the Clotes lift, the boards there were old and not up to much when we hired from there but that was a few years ago.

I'd also recommend going to 360 - a shop next to The Ghost bar up by the Clotes lift, i've not hired but they're gear looked really nice and he gave us really good service while we were buying other equipment last week, from his attitude and service i'd definately recommend them for any gear! I also got a decent service - wax, edge, ptex filling for 25 euros from BESSON sports in the square above the Tourist Info place.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Taff,

I've experienced the scam you mentioned but in Passo Tonale. The allegedly "superior" skis were some horrible old Salomon jobbies that must have been kicking around the slopes for a good few years. As for the boots - I ended up going round the other side of the counter and picking up one of the few decent pairs in the shop!

Can't fault the hire shop in La Thuile though, the one right in the middle of the Plannibel. Decent boots, decent skis, nothing too much trouble.

If anyone can recommend a good hire shop in Passo Tonale I'd be very grateful as we're back there in a couple of weeks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dan wrote:
Top_Taff, It's on the left as you go up the hill to the lifts. If the tourist info place is on your right hand side, The Grotto bar will be on your left and you should see a ski shop with some stairs down below the road level - that the place, sorry i can't remember the name.

The place you are thinking of is Faure Sport. It is owned and run by a guy called Mauro and his son Federico (ex racer in the Italian national squad until he blew his knees out). It is staffed by a squad of English guys who all know their stuff and will prepare edges and bases by hand if requested. They hire the more interesting brands such as Nordica, Stokli etc, not sure about their boarding stuff. And have found that they offer an excellent allround service.

One piece of advice though, if you are looking for getting your board/skis serviced then don't bother on Saturdays as they will be up to their necks in 250 pairs of rentals to be done for the next day. Federico is regularly there until the early hours finishing them all off.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy