Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early November Skiing - Best resort?

Poster: A snowHead
I am hoping to book a 3 day ski trip in early November for me and my husbands anniversary. Which is the best resort to go to? as I have never skiied before Jan in previous years.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
christine28 wrote:
I am hoping to book a 3 day ski trip in early November for me and my husbands anniversary. Which is the best resort to go to? as I have never skiied before Jan in previous years.

Somewhere that is open would be a start.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stubai.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
christine28 wrote:

You are a wag, aren't you? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Red Leon wrote:
davidof wrote:
christine28 wrote:

Well perhaps if the OP can narrow down continent and countries it would help but it is pretty much going to be a handful of Swiss and Austrian glacier ski areas in Europe. Maybe less than a handful.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Europe please as have only got 3 days. It is our 10th Anniversary so ideally somewhere nice, not just somewhere with snow if possible. Have looked at flights and midweek to Innsbruck isn't looking possible, but could easily fly into Munich and drive from there, but need advice as usually we only go to France.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have been for several weekends in Kaprun in Nov/Dec. Easy drive from Munich or even easier drive from Salzburg. There are some very nice hotels & some lively bars too. Try & avoid beginning of Nov though as it is still half term & when we went then, big areas were closed off for ski-team training (including a team from UK)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
christine28 wrote:
Europe please as have only got 3 days. It is our 10th Anniversary so ideally somewhere nice, not just somewhere with snow if possible. Have looked at flights and midweek to Innsbruck isn't looking possible, but could easily fly into Munich and drive from there, but need advice as usually we only go to France.

Saas Fee is nice, did you look at Sion airport?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sadly I have to go 3rd to 6th Nov as that is the only time I can get cover for the kids. Thanks Davidof I'll go look at Sion airport
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@christine28, Kitzsteinhorn (Kaprun) opens at the start of November and you could stay by the lake in Zell am See which is 10 minutes away. That would be nice for an anniversary. You could fly into Salzburg (45mins away) for that or drive from Munich (2hrs).

Other Glacier options in Austria would include - Solden, Hintertux and Stubai which @clarky999, mentioned. There are four other glaciers that will be open but I think the aforementioned four should be enough choice.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

ideally somewhere nice, not just somewhere with snow if possible

well, there should be a reasonable amount of skiing open at Tignes, but it's not "nice". It has skiing open because it has a glacier and glaciers are at high altitude, no trees. Frankly, most places in alpine valleys are also fairly dreary in November. You might be lucky and find a little sunshine, but you might equally well not.

Don't know about the other glaciers but at Tignes there will be a lot of race training going on. The pistes available to the ordinary skier will be limited. I shall be there in the first week of November, but for daily ski lessons (which are only in the mornings as the glacier is normally closed in the afternoons). So you need to get up early to get a decent crack at it.

It's not a romantic few days, really, fighting your way onto the funicular with a lot of hot shot racers wrestling with their skin-tight boots.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would also say Kitzsteinhorn ( Kaprun ) glacier, and stay in Zell am See. The other main Austrian glaciers (Stubai, Sölden, Hintertux) don't have 'nice' towns nearby. Staying in Innsbruck and driving over to Stubai every day would be possible I guess.
Pure luck as to how the conditions in November will be. It can be blue ice or knee deep powder... But definitely worth trying!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zermatt is another option.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steilhang wrote:
I would also say Kitzsteinhorn ( Kaprun ) glacier, and stay in Zell am See. The other main Austrian glaciers (Stubai, Sölden, Hintertux) don't have 'nice' towns nearby. Staying in Innsbruck and driving over to Stubai every day would be possible I guess.
Pure luck as to how the conditions in November will be. It can be blue ice or knee deep powder... But definitely worth trying!

Neustift is nice, albeit small and pretty quiet.

For a romantic anniversary, take a look at http://www.sporthotel-neustift.at/en - it really is very nice. And they'll drive you up to the glacier each day.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For skiing I would go for Stubai, all round (resort and skiing) I would say Kitzsteinhorn, Solden can be a great option - avoid Kaunertal unless you want mammoth daily commutes.
ski holidays
I tend to go for Hintertux or Kitzsteinhorn at that time of year.

The skiing is normally a bit better in Hintertux, but obviously it's very dependent on what the weather has been like.

The Hohenhaus Tenne should be open at Hintertux so plenty of après fun to be had and some nice hotels to pick down the valley.

In Zell (if Kitzsteinhorn) if I was thinking something smart I'd go for Mavida good wine, food and spa. http://www.mavida.at/en/
latest report
Quite a few resorts open in Norway. Geilo opens usually around mid November and is easy to get to if you fly into Bergen.

Skied around Lilliehammer last November and the snow was not great. Think it was the area's worse start to the season. Even so we still managed to get some good skiing in. Very easy to get to from Oslo and was not that expensive as long as you are happy self catering.

Norwegian flights are pretty cheap as well.
latest report
You could stay in Mayrhofen which will give you access to the Hintertux Glacier (albeit a bit of a slog each morning and evening) but the town will have a bit of life, some nice restaurants and bars, try the Hotel Elisabeth, adults only and superb rooms and spa
snow conditions
For me it would be first choice Hintertux,
Then Stubai

Kaprun is very limited ..
I cant tell you what the gletcher is like above Solden .. it was thick fog the whole weekend.
snow conditions
The villages up the road nearer the glacier are worth staying in .. Madsiet willl have more life in it than an empty Mayrhofen
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Red Leon wrote:
davidof wrote:
christine28 wrote:

Well perhaps if the OP can narrow down continent and countries it would help but it is pretty much going to be a handful of Swiss and Austrian glacier ski areas in Europe. Maybe less than a handful.

So why not just say that, then? It's helpful - and much less condescending.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Zermatt is another option.

Yes. 3 days is tough mind. Whether flying to Zurich or Geneva the train ride to the resort is over 3 hours. Driving from Geneva is a bit quicker than the train.

By November the chairlift from Trockener Steg to Furggsattel will be open. You can see this on the piste map in this link:

http://www.matterhornparadise.ch/pdf/panoramakarten/panoramakarte_winter.pdf

The left side of the map is Swiss and the right is Italian. The lift I mention above is on the far right of the Swiss part. It means you will be skiing on pistes 71 and 72. That is really nice and quite a bit better than the summer pistes (83 and 84). The full area doesn't open up until the end of November. Whether that is enough to keep you happy for 3 days is questionable. However the Italian side opens up at end of October so actually that might make it interesting enough.

As for non-ski things Zermatt like everywhere is pretty quiet in November. But there are plenty of bars and restaurants that will be open.
latest report
JohnMo wrote:
As for non-ski things Zermatt like everywhere is pretty quiet in November. But there are plenty of bars and restaurants that will be open.
For an anniversary celebration it's hard to beat the romance of Zermatt and the Matterhorn.
ski holidays
I would plan to do something else more suited to November weather conditions, and go skiing later Very Happy
ski holidays
I disagree with kat.ryb. Nothing beats the bonus of an early season ski, when most people think there's no decent skiing to be had until well into December. I've done loads of early doors European glacier trips over the past 20-odd years - as early as September, some in October but mainly in November - and always had snow (sometimes powder, sometimes hardpack) and always had a great time. That's been at Tignes, Saas Fee, Hintertux, Soelden, Zugspitz, Pitztal and Stubai.

For an anniversary, you probably couldn't beat Saas Fee as a lovely village. Some lovely hotels but the skiing isn't the most extensive. Still worth a visit though and it's a very high glacier. However, prices will be expensive due to the strength of the Swiss Franc.

I'd go for Stubai Glacier, with a stay at Neustift, which is my favourite Austria village - picturesque, quiet and idyllic in my opinion. Great range of accommodation from very posh 4* hotels to upmarket B&Bs. The glacier is very extensive (for a glacier) - a toss up between there and Hintertux for my favourite glacier. We've also stayed in Fulpmes a couple of times. Bigger town but very pleasant with a great range of accommodation and restaurants.

If you go for Hintertux, there's a great choice of nice accommodation up near the glacier at places like Hintertux itself (tiny place but nice), Lanersbach or Vorderlanersbach.
latest report
I stayed in Kaprun early November last year, the Wow Glacier love festival was on then. The skiing was good and not too many lifts/runs being used by race training. I stayed in Das Alpen Haus in Kaprun and it was a stunning hotel all new with fab spa and amazing breakfasts, ski bus from just 50m away and right in town center. I cant remember the transfer co but they do daily transfers from Munich and was really good value.
snow conditions
Red Leon wrote:
davidof wrote:
Red Leon wrote:
davidof wrote:
christine28 wrote:

I think you are reading far too much into my comment. We've had people in the past post on Snowheads saying they've already booked flights to somewhere like Lyon for the first weekend in November and what resorts will be open nearby.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Red Leon wrote:
davidof wrote:
Red Leon wrote:
davidof wrote:
christine28 wrote:

I think you are reading far too much into my comment. We've had people in the past post on Snowheads saying they've already booked flights to somewhere like Lyon for the first weekend in November and what resorts will be open nearby.

I've skied 7 Laux on the 1st November. Do I win $5?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zermatt for an anniversary would be perfect really. Fly to MXP and drive over the Simplon Pass for extra drama.
ski holidays
I've skied the Lecht in October and Cairngorm in November. Do I win a tenner?
snow conditions
I did not not ski anywhere in November, but I wanted to. Do I win anything? Shock
snow report
I've taken my better half for her birthday in November to the New Spa in Kaprun for a few days and skied on the Kaprun glacier. It was great. Also, been to the wonderful spas (Lavay les Bains etc) near to Verbier before but with the CHF so high these days just not bothered.
ski holidays
MichaelHill wrote:
I did not not ski anywhere in November, but I wanted to. Do I win anything? Shock

I hate November.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy