Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zaunchensee

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Would like to ski Austria mid January. Came across Zauchensee. Would it suit us? Two mature skiers, one will have days off so need walking to coffee/basic shop. Intermediate slopes not too far from accomodation which can be hotel/b&b or apartment but not too many children so probably smaller place.
Is there guiding in the area or all day lessons? Skied France and Selva in Italy but can't get my head around the Austrian slopes at all. Will there be a lot of travel in between areas?
Thanks for any help. Saw Apartment Strims, anyone know this or Gasthof Rosner?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Samerberg Sue is on holiday at the moment, but I'm sure she will answer your questions in full on her return. She's an expert on the area, including the Rosner where I think I'm right in saying she often stays. If she misses the thread, you could send her a PM.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have skied in Zauchensee and have stayed at Strims. Both are great - Strims is located in the woods at the entrance to the village and has a really natural feel. The village is pretty small but Altenmarkt is just below in the valley if you need anything else (including Atomic skis as their HQ is there). Lots and lots of skiing on offer in the region. Would definitely recommend.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sarah jane, Rosner is in altenmarkt not Zauchensee. Altenmarkt is a small town with shops for days off but you do need a car or to use the ski bus to get to Zauchensee/Flachauwinkl and the slopes at altenmarkt /radstadt. You can also get to Flachau on the bus from altenmarkt. Trip times are about 5 to 10 mins and buses are free for skiers
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gasthof Rosner is a welcoming family-run hotel in the centre of Altenmarkt. Very traditionally Austrian with great food and hospitality. It's a bus ride or car journey away from several ski areas such as Altenmarkt/Radstadt, Zauchensee/Flachauwinkl, Flachau/Wagrain/Alpendorf, Schladming and the rest of Ski Amadé further afield as holidayloverxx says. For days off the Therme Amadé is worth a visit.

Links here:

http://www.skiamade.com/en/winter
http://www.gasthof-rosner.at
http://www.thermeamade.at
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You could also stay with our very own family flangesax who have a lovely friendly guest house in Radstadt which is also very central for all that Ski Amadé has to offer. The skiing is superb for intermediates and you can ski a different area each day so travel between areas is just something you do at the beginning and end of each day, whether by bus or hiring a car at the airport.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ahhh! All that talk of different places and bus trips makes me want to go running back to Val or Courchevel.... But seriously thanks for the excellent advice so far, Austria it is going to be and I'll do more research and PM Sue as suggested.
We won't drive there so hope to find buses ok.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skied in Zauchensee 3 times, great place to learn. And infact went back there for a day last season, which we enjoyed enormously..
We stayed in the Zauchenseehof on each visit. A really good hotel run by the Walchoffer family (those of Michael fame). The rooms are a good size, and the food pretty good. Very close to the Rossakopf lift so really ski in ski out.
The village its self doesn't really exist, there's a sports arena housing a few resturants, so if you want the traditional charm its down the road at Altenmarkt.
In its self the ski area is pretty small, around 35km I think, although you can link through to Flachauwinkl which adds to the interest. Nothing really tough in Zauchensee, but can be fun. However the full area Ski Amnde or Salzburger super ski do offer masses of great areas to ski.
From recollection the option for winter walking is very limited, I suspect that Altenmarkt or Radstadt would again be your best bet.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
'ello!

I've lived here for 9 years now and skied a heck of a lot up at Zauchensee. Staying up there is an advantage (I know Nige and Kaz at Strimms really well; lovely couple and Nigel also offers lessons and guiding days... they are also a base for BASI training camps).
The area can be as challenging as you want it to be and there are massive amounts of off-piste around the area.

There is no need to be confused about the set up (not sure why you can't 'get your head round austrian slopes' Toofy Grin )
Most areas start from a valley and head up to the mountain. From Zauchensee there is a lovely ski down to the opposite valley at Flachau Winkl. This area is cruisy and park ratty but also has a monitored and 'on' piste off piste area called 'the stash'.
If you visit the other side of the mountain (Kleinarl) you can pop on a shuttle bus down this valley to Wagrain.

You can also pop down the valley on the shuttle bus from the bottom of Zauchensee/Flachau Winkl (right outside the door) to Flachau.
This is one of the busier places as it found fame through Herman Maier a few years ago!
Lots here (especially down the Wagrain side).

From Zauchensee there are regular buses down the valley to Altenmarkt.
Altenmarkt/Radstadt is a very family friendly area.... 9 years on and I still found new off-piste routes on i last season!
Altenmarkt is a quaint town (as mentioned above).
You can grab busses to Wagrain and Flachau from here.

I would recommend hiring a car if you want to take advantage of your days off.
Then you can explore different towns and places and the skiers can ski them too.

Nige and Kaz will look after you well at Strimms... they offer all kinds of services for their guests... including shopping runs!

@queen bodecia, thanks for the mention Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@flangesax,
Quote:

I've lived here for 9 years now and skied a heck of a lot up at Zauchensee

Rumour has it you know every bunker and sinkhole in that place.......and I mean, every single one Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Kooky, nah... i let you find them for me!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@flangesax, you have skied with me enough times to know I only do tree wells Skullie
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The snow at Zauchensee is good at this time of year Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy