Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet easter 2016 on sale tomorrow.

Poster: A snowHead
Our group flights dept don't use Easyjet, but in case you're looking.
Easyjet will releases the next tranche of 2016 seat (inc. Easter) tomorrow (10/09/15)
Some seats are already available, but the main sale starts on Thursday.

Hope this helps anyone looking to DIY next year.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easter prices up and some flights are quite pricey? Have agents been able to book prior? Or is easyjet just taking the proverbial?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On the website now and can't see any flights on the system-or at least the routes I am looking for???
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Neither can I.......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gonna give it a bit longer but then to bed-still got to go to work in the morning!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ahhh...worked it out and booked. They are hidden in the Flight Timetables section! Sneaky, worth remembering for next time!
Flights from SE to Geneva are flippin expensive for 2nd/9th April-got returns Southend/Lyon for £250 for the four of us though Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had to re-boot my PC - cache problems, perhaps, but it was just too clunky trying to do it on a mobile phone - I had to book 3 separate families, 13 people in all. Yes, flights quite expensive but not surprising, really.
If I were easyJet I wouldn't offer bargain prices on Saturdays in school hols.

Those southend/Lyon flights sound like a bargain, @snowhound - I paid quite a bit more for Bristol/Geneva and more again for Gatwick/Geneva.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just made myself an Ovaltine to unwind before going to bed, after all that hectic flight booking, and couldn't resist checking prices - gone up over 500 pounds for the flights I booked - already. Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kioksor wrote:
is easyjet just taking the proverbial?

Not really. It’s about selling tranches based on the opposition. This is (just) one of the reasons some airlines don’t publish their tranche release dates publically.

I book our company flights all over the world e.g. LAN in South America (for our Inca Train), Qatar Airline (Everest Base Camp, with Buda Air for the Nepal internals) KLM for Tanzania (Kilimanjaro), Monarch (Manchester ski flights) etc. so I’m quit used to dealing with group depts.

The system in Europe is sometimes more competitive than in other parts of the world.

As an example, say you have 2 airlines ABC air and XYZ air.

Each of the airlines will know what it costs them to fly to a certain destination and they will also know what profit they hope to make from the flight. They can assume (guess) the take up rate of sales, no shows, etc. on each date.
ABC air and XYZ air will both have 150 seats on each flight and they will divide these seats into tranches. Each tranche will be sold for a different amount.
Tranche 1 (20 seats) will sell for £10. This is so they can use this price in publicity
Tranche 2 (50 seats) will sell for £20.
Tranche 3 (50 seats) will sell for £30.
Tranche 4 (30 seats) will sell for £40.

So they hope to have an income of £3,900

Let’s say ABC air release their flights first and the seats in tranches 1 and 2 are quickly sold, so now the web sale price is £30 as that’s what they have left to sell.

XYZ air can now remove some seat from their tranche 1 (say 15 seats) and only sell 5 seats for £10. They move the 15 seats into tranche 2 and the flight profit goes up from £3,900 to £4,200.

Of course it’s much more complex than that as all airlines will move seats from tranches to tranche depending on how sales are going. They may even call the seats they move a “sale” as this will stop anyone who has already bought tickets at a higher price from being able to claim the difference on the airline’s Price Promise as sale seats are not included in these.

So are they taking the proverbial? Well yes and no. They need to upload a certain number of flights per day to maintain their airport slots. Obviously some of these flights will not be as popular as others and so they need to generate as much income as they can from the high selling flights to supplement the lower returns when flights have lower sale price or have unsold seats. This said some airlines do make a great deal of profit and whether you agree with this or not depends on how you view the value of what you have purchased. Proverbial?

kioksor wrote:
Have agents been able to book prior?

Most airlines will not allocate the first (lowest price) tranche to group sales; normally we (brentaski) will be offered our seats in tranche 2 (this is how we can offer fully inclusive holidays at a Very Reasonable set cost Little Angel ). The point here is that the tranche sold to groups will increase to maybe 60 to 75% of the aircraft and tranche 3 will be removed. This means that the airline can still sell the very cheap (unprofitable) seats as a publicity stunt and, once the tranche 1 seats have gone, the only publicity available seats will be in tranche 4. This is one of the reason flight cost will go up so rapidly. But it’s not always groups that are responsible for this. Some airlines will, if sales are going very well, simply remove some of the mid priced seats and hold them back so they can offer them at “sale” price later.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, whatever the mechanism, it was well worth my waiting up late. The 4 returns Gatwick/Geneva I bought last night for 730 are now over 1500.....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, wow, good work staying up to book then!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Only one of the three families I booked for (where the dad is a GP) would be able to afford the current prices - and the flights have only been on sale for a few hours. Driving will now be the affordable way to do a DIY trip at Easter - and a very good way at Easter, if you have the kind of kids, and kind of vehicle, which make a fast trip feasible.

I'm not used to booking Saturday flights - when people come to stay with me they can travel on a Tuesday!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think this is mostly because brits are just used to overpaying for flights. Easy and Co must make the bulk of their profits from London flights despite the higher cost here....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Easyjet will releases the next tranche of 2016 seat (inc. Easter) tomorrow (10/09/15)

Thanks alot Lisa Brentaski, your heads up last night saved me me a few hundred quid and a really really long drive Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kioksor, it's only a few days in the year when London flights are so expensive. Generally with a clutch of airports to choose from and some hot competition London is in a much better position than most parts of the country.
latest report
I checked last night out of interest, and the EasyJet flights (after adding in ski carriage & hold bags) were more expensive than the BA flights I booked last month. If I cheated and put 3 pairs of skis in one bag it would have been about the same. The Basel flights were still the same price this morning as they were last night.
latest report
@musher, I thought when I looked this morning that some of the easyJet flights (with no baggage/skis) were more expensive than BA flights. There was a feeding frenzy!
snow report
pam w wrote:
@kioksor, it's only a few days in the year when London flights are so expensive. Generally with a clutch of airports to choose from and some hot competition London is in a much better position than most parts of the country.

Oh agreed there are more options. Not sure if that makes it any cheaper. Often the airlines are blatantly not competing at these times.
snow conditions
Quote:

Often the airlines are blatantly not competing at these times.

How come? They are responding to inelastic high demand by charging high prices. Competition doesn't preclude that.
ski holidays
I got a shock when I looked at prices today, return to geneva from Aberdeen over £500pp when you add in a bag and skis.

Are they likely to drop ? this was our preferred route. Looking now at a stopover somewhere.
latest report
Quote:

Are they likely to drop ?

Not impossible, but unlikely to come down a lot, I'd say because easyJet have a deal to refund the difference if the flight gets cheaper. The 13 flights I bought last night cost an average of 163 return (no baggage, that can be sorted out later) but by the time the flights had been on sale for 12 hours the cost had gone up to 450 - my late night effort saved well over 3K.

Predicable, really, for Sat/Sat flights in a year when Easter comes early. It's a loooooong way from aberdeen, though. Sad
snow report
Bit did it really save £3k Pam W? ie would you have actually booked at that top dollar price Shocked ??
snow report
No. Actually they probably couldn't have afforded it. So to put it more accurately my late night effort meant 3 families will be able to join our party at easter.
snow conditions
By being a loser and still up working at gone 1am I managed to save nearly £500. Couldn't go to bed with work stuff going round in my head so I thought I'd check on here and saw this thread. 3 of us to Salzburg from Gatwick for £300 Good Friday to Sunday, so just over a week (not booked bags yet).

Granted I wouldn't have booked Gatwick at the current prices as Luton and Stansted are just more convenient for us.

Good job the OH was OK about it as I hadn't consulted her first.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy