Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing from Basel

Poster: A snowHead
Hiya folks.
I'm looking at booking flights to Baasel for 3-4 days skiing, intermediate upwards, so no beginner slopes necessary.
First week in April so tail end of season, needs to be high.
Can I get some thoughts?
So far I'm looking at Adelboden, Engelberg, Grindelwald.
Cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@roarcam, are you going over a weekend or during the week, will you have a car or are you using public transport?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So, looking at travelling Tuesday or Wednesday, returning on Sunday. Probably hiring a car but public transport also an option.
Trying to keep it as cheap as possible for 3 people.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@roarcam, My thoughts are:
- Engelberg in the week should be great if your group is into offpiste. It's easy to get to on public transport from Basel. It's a bit more limited from a piste perspective, especially if you like to do lots of miles, and the Titlis and Brunni sides are not joined, so you kinda have to pick one or the other for the day.
- For miles on piste, Grindelwald and the Jungfrau region would be better. Also easy on the train from Basel.
- Adelboden is the least inspiring ski area I've ever been to. I didn't get it at all and wouldn't go back!
- I'd add Andermatt to your list, the area is pretty big now and there's loads for everyone.

Quite a nice overview of Swiss ski areas with distance from Basel by car/public transport here:
http://www.swisswintersports.co.uk/basel.php
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, that's great info and has reinforced my own thoughts although I did think Adelboden might have been an option.
I've had a look at that website, too. Excellent resource!
I'll have a look at Andermatt now.
Thanks again!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you'd find Adelboden in April very limited. The various areas are not joined, some are very small, and to access all of them you'd need a car. Even considering that, the claimed 200km piste seems very creative. Engelberg only claims 130km but feels much bigger than Adelboden-Lenk - especially late season. Most of the skiing in Adelboden-Lenk is under 2000m.
http://www.infosnow.ch/~apgmontagne/?lang=de&pid=62&tab=map-wi&adelboden-lenk
For comparable height/ski area size I thought that Flumserberg was much better.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Basel is our airport of choice for holidays to Zermatt. Height wise it works for you, the transport of choice is probably the train. There is a bus directly outside the terminal that takes you to the train station, trains every two hours with one change only at Visp, or more regularly if you don't mind changing at Bern as well. Cost wise for three if you book your tickets asap on the SBB site (the saver day pass) I would think train and car about equal. The prices go up the closer to departure date you get so the balance might start to tip at some point but you have to leave the car in Tasch anyway and get the train for the last part up to Zermatt so there would be parking charges to think about.
The website mentioned above is very helpful and gives you the travel time to Zermatt.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here is a positive shout for Adelboden. I ski the area once a month and find it extremely good. Later in the season (April) we will start skiing the head of the valley Engstligenalp, access from Adelboden is a short bus ride.
This area is possibly the best snow holding bowl I know.
There are several occasions when we have had fantastic powder mornings in late April. I would strongly recommend a visit and if it doesn't work for you I apologize in advance.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
roarcam wrote:

Stay in Lauterbrunnen. Easy access to Mürren, which gets you up to almost 3000m, and Wengen.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks, I'll check that out.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
1. Verbier.
2. St Anton.
3. Chamonix.

Slam it on a creditcard .
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks man, should've thought of that!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Whitegold, seriously, from Basel?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not from Basel. Too far!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DJL wrote:
@Whitegold, seriously, from Basel?

Maybe for a three day trip but a couple of years ago I did Nendaz from Basel when Geneva flights had daft prices. There were people at the car hire place going to the thee valleys.
ski holidays
All 2-3hrs from Basel by rental.
snow conditions
I would say the chances of doing Chamonix or St Anton in less than 3 hours, and that's assuming no traffic, no issues at the borders, no bad weather and no hassle at Arlberg tunnel, are very low.. Verbier, maybe just under 3. There's a lot to think about with a transfer that long, given you will need an hour to get off plane and collect, will need to add a fair chunk of extra time for luck on the way back to the airport etc. It can be done but it's not quite the doddle it's being made out to be. Not saying you should discount altogether but for 3-4 days there are easier options.
ski holidays
Flims-Laax-Falera. Also 2-3 hours by train and bus I recall. Decent sized area, excellent lift infrastructure, high snowsure slopes (there is a glacier) and great variety of piste skiing
latest report
I think I'll be playing it safe.
Anything 2.5-3 hours estimated I'll probably leave it just 'cos. Not so bad on the way but coming back early doors so don't want to make it a 1:30am alarm!
I'm edging towards Grindelwald and staying there rather than Lauterbrunnen.
Should be a good 3 days exploring?
Up early, packed lunch, out all day.
latest report
roarcam wrote:
So, looking at travelling Tuesday or Wednesday, returning on Sunday. Probably hiring a car but public transport also an option.

If you're still considering Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen and public transport it's worthwhile noting that from Basel station there's a train (actually run by Deutsche Bahn german railways as it starts in Northern Germany) that goes direct from Basel all the way to Interlaken Ost with no changes.
ski holidays
roarcam wrote:
I think I'll be playing it safe.
Anything 2.5-3 hours estimated I'll probably leave it just 'cos. Not so bad on the way but coming back early doors so don't want to make it a 1:30am alarm!
I'm edging towards Grindelwald and staying there rather than Lauterbrunnen.
Should be a good 3 days exploring?
Up early, packed lunch, out all day.

Be aware that Grindelwald First and Männlichen both close on 31st March.

https://www.jungfrau.ch/de-ch/live/pistendaten/#grindelwald_first
snow conditions
Ah, that changes things.
snow report
Have a look at Davos, great high ski area - similar weather to the Arlberg. Lots of accommodation options. Parsenn and Jakobshorn are open to 22nd April, plenty of skiing options for 3-4 days.
ski holidays
Engelberg stays open well into April...
ski holidays
Engelberg stays open well into May! I've been there for the last week in April for the last two seasons and it was superb both times.
snow report
LOTA wrote:
Engelberg stays open well into May! I've been there for the last week in April for the last two seasons and it was superb both times.

I stand corrected - I've only been once in late April but it was amazing with lots of new fresh powder! Getting the train from Basel was really easy too - and 1st class only a few quid extra which got me
plenty of brownie points with my better half.... Very Happy
snow conditions
roarcam wrote:
Ah, that changes things.

This is why Lauterbrunnen works better in April. You still have Mürren and Kleine Scheidegg easily accessible, and it'll be really quiet on the mountain.
ski holidays
So much to think about. I'm really grateful for all these opinions.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@roarcam, I'd also add, wherever you decide on to make sure you check with the hotel websites direct - there are lots of good packages on offer in April for short stays, including free ski passes, cheap ski hire options, etc. Good luck.
snow report
@Bodeswell, thanks, I will check that out before booking anything.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy