Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone tried the Ski Bike with foot pegs?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone tried the Ski Bike with foot pegs?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The what?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I guess no one has - whatever it is.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saw the maker of one of the brands get refused admission to the lifts at Courmayeur this spring?, he was not happy that he had to rent some skis and return to skiing to get use of the liftpass he'd just bought Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
reckon they mean one of these...
http://www.ktrak.es/indexeng.htm
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Richard_Sideways, nope, i reckon he's on about the ones that look more like a burly DH bike but with 'skis' instead of wheels. No pedals or drivetrain just gravity for propulsion. Could be wrong though as the OP'er is not elaborating.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For my sins, I did try one, once, in Canada. They SUUUUCK something awful... I gave up after a couple of runs. Plus they made me put ski boots on *shudder*
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To answer the original question- no , however I do have a couple of Brentner ski bikes which maybe what Richard_Sideways may have tried as they used to rent them out at Sunshine Village.
They are, once you can ride them immense fun and contrary to the opinion of them in a lot of French resorts very safe and controllable.
The Brentner bikes with foot skis are very different to the feet up version. I've seen a few different types for sale but they seem a bit too risky for my liking.!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I haven't tried this yet !Could you tell us your feeling ? Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have only seen video footage of this. There appear to be 2 types of Ski Bikes. The ski bikes in which the operator has small foot worn skis and there is the type where the operator places his/her feet on pegs where pedals would normally be. Looks fun and my old knees will probably prefer the foot peg option. Anyone who has actually ridden a ski bike please respond.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've had Brentner ski bikes( the type with foot skis) for years. I adapted the foot skis to take snowboard bindings as at that time you could only get ski bindings. Nowadays I think you can buy either.
As to the riding experience they are great fun. There seems to be a perception that they are uncontrollable but this is far from correct. Once you get the hang of them they are really safe and stable. As a beginner you are taught to turn by leaning your head on the shoulder in the direction you want to turn which works well. Once your used to them you turn them like a speedway or motogp bike counter steering into corners shifting your weight and drifting around corners.
If you get chance have a go , you can ride them in any snow conditions and I find that I can go out and have fun in really poor visibility when I would baulked on a board or skis.
They are also a great alternative snow sport for people with weak knees etc as they are very low impact legs wise.
The main shame for me is my flats in LDA and they are banned there for reasons that I don't know.
There is a French veloski website which tells you where you can use and hire ski bikes , I know that Tignes and Val D'isere allow them as I've used mine there.
Have a go they are great!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great info honeybadger!! Thanks for taking the time to share. I will give it a go as soon as I can get my hands on one and find snow.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We've been using Brenter Snowbikes for 15 years, when our knees and backs gave up. The advantage of using commercially made skibobs (generic name for those that are used with footskis) is that the lift companies in all of Austria will accept them as you are not classed as a foot passenger. Italy don't allow any form or skibike, snowbike or skibob. France will allow Skibobs and Skibikes (without footskis) on certain runs/resorts, but that can change from season to season. The skibikes that don't use footskis (Peggers) of which there are about 6 brands and those that have been converted from Mountain bikes (with a commercially made DIY conversion kit) struggle a little more to be accepted. They are classed as foot passenger and the converted bikes can be unsafe unless the maker knows what they are doing. Brenters can be rented in various resorts around Europe, you just need to check out the Brenter website for hire stations. Once you have had the compulsory 2 hour lesson to prove you are competent, you can use them anywhere they are allowed. Another Austrian Skibob brand is Stalmach, these are the formula 1 versions of Skibobs, used for racing, not often found in hire shops, but they will send them direct to your hotel, as do Brenter. I have to say that since using these we have never had so much fun. They perform best in soft, wet snow, especially moguled, when everyone on skis is struggling! They float as if on water and you use the mounds to turn on. Powder is awesome too. The only time they suffer from slight lack of grip is on sheet ice - but then you have 4 points of contact and a low centre of gravity, so you just sit and wait to pass over it. I take an edging tool and sharpen them! I have made our own footskis with ski-release bindings, so no bending to put on the non-release bindings. We don't ever have to worry about the snow conditions anymore, which has opened up a longer season and low altitude resorts - it's a win win for us and wouldn't go back to skiing even if we could. Each year we see more and more people trying these out, all with smiles on their faces! If you get the chance and you see them outside a hire shop, have a go, you won't regret it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sharon1953, One place in France that does allow them is Crest Voland. One of the ski shop owners organises competitions for them as well as renting skibobs.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you Sharon1953. You've answered many questions. It looks like fun. I'm surprised it hasn't caught on in more places around the skiing community. Happy Skiing or Snowbiking. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy