Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Returning after hip-resurfacing

Poster: A snowHead
Having had my hip re-surfaced 2 weeks ago I'm trying to get the best idea of how soon I can return to skiing. There is information on the net, but most of it is not very useful with quotes like “I was fit for next season”. But, I have in mind some glacier skiing in Tignes, which effectively means by 2 August. The consultant suggested it might be possible, but it would be useful to know if anyone out there has returned within 5 months, either to the mountains or to a fridge/plastic. I know I won't get insurance. Recovery is going well; just about pain free and walking with one crutch/stick. I was reasonably fit, although no marathon runner before all this started.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ski lots, why won't you get insurance? If your surgeon has cleared you to ski you would need to declare it and maybe pay a premium for it to be covered. I had to pay £50 in the first year only after my injury for worldwide annual cover.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidaylover, I doubt that my surgeon will actually give me clearance, also when I and the OH have had injuries before we have had blocks on insurance for the particular injured element until 3 months after the medical clearance. I'm happy to ski without insurance on that bit, given ehic, would cover most costs in extremis.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski lots wrote:
Having had my hip re-surfaced 2 weeks ago I'm trying to get the best idea of how soon I can return to skiing. There is information on the net, but most of it is not very useful with quotes like “I was fit for next season”. But, I have in mind some glacier skiing in Tignes, which effectively means by 2 August. The consultant suggested it might be possible, but it would be useful to know if anyone out there has returned within 5 months, either to the mountains or to a fridge/plastic. I know I won't get insurance. Recovery is going well; just about pain free and walking with one crutch/stick. I was reasonably fit, although no marathon runner before all this started.

You would have to work very hard at your rehab. to be recovered sufficiently to ski safely.

It will depend on what level you want to ski at aswell.

I would have thought you might be better giving yourself 9 to 12 months.

Having said that i did once get a postcard from a patient of mine who was skiing at 8 weeks. I was a bit alarmed!!

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Jonathan. I just want to get back on the planks. Skiing on the glacier would be limited as clearly would skiing indoors, I normally ski at quiet at an advanced level ( I have held a BASI licence for 20 years), but I would be happy just to ski for a couple of hours a day linking some gentle turns, with the OH riding shotgun behind. I know it is a stupid thought and one I have no intention of acting on, but I feel I could ski now if I kept the weight primarily on my sound leg.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ski lots, how about October/November on the Tignes glacier? With better snow conditions, probably.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Pam, autumn is an option, but I am not known for my patience. I've already been off the snow since last August!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ski lots, from watching other friends with other injuries including one full hip replacement, I'd suggest that the longer you take and better rehabbed you are a. The longer your long term skiing career and b. The more immediate fun you'll have when you do get back on them...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

The longer your long term skiing career

the key point, surely. Rehab, rehab, rehab.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski lots, take heed of Jonathan Bell's sensible advice, and don't gamble on not having insurance.
EHIC will not cover lots of things that can be alarmingly expensive, like being helicoptered off the mountain.
Re-doing a hip operation is much more tricky than the original procedure.
Be patient, and forget August skiing this year.
You know it makes sense snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski lots wrote:
Thanks Jonathan. I just want to get back on the planks. Skiing on the glacier would be limited as clearly would skiing indoors, I normally ski at quiet at an advanced level ( I have held a BASI licence for 20 years), but I would be happy just to ski for a couple of hours a day linking some gentle turns, with the OH riding shotgun behind. I know it is a stupid thought and one I have no intention of acting on, but I feel I could ski now if I kept the weight primarily on my sound leg.

First time on skis is part of rehab, so from what you say first gentle ski a t 6 months may be fine but check with your physio that you have the strength and control. The goals should be recovery based not temporal.

Jonathan Bell
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all for the advice so far. Jonathan I like the point about first return to skis should be part of rehab. I'm fortunate in that I should be able to go and potter indoors before venturing onto the mountains. It would be good to hear from anyone who has been on the receiving end of the resurfacing. So far it seems to be going a great deal better that I had imagined. Just retired from a crutch assisted walk of half a mile or so as a result of which the leg feels better rather than worse. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Jonpim, i don't think itc insurances at lift pass offices covering helicopter rescues have "exclusions"...

But I wouldn't risk not being insured either.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to clarify I'm not contemplating skiing without insurance at all, just (if it happens) skiing without insurance on the bit of me that that has been operated on. It is my understanding as @underanewname says that carte neige etc do not exclude such things should a helivac be required. My OH skied recently under such circumstances following an early season arm break. A few years ago I skied for 7 or 8 weeks with an arm that was awaiting remedial surgery for a previous multi-fracture and no one would insure.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So I thought I would offer an update on my position, for anyone else going through similar. Recovery has continued well, except that I over did it hill walking after finally getting permission to do stuff other than walking on the flat and static cycling. Took a four hour hill walk at the end of May (rather than the 1 hour advised) and could hardly walk the next day. Ended up having to work from home for a couple of weeks. Having got over that I'm now able to hill walk properly, cycle on smooth surfaces and I've been out on my motorbike a couple of times, all this without incident. More importantly I skied for the first time, indoors, 3 weeks ago and it went much better than I anticipated, with no propreaception problems, just a little lack of muscle control on the affected leg, meaning the foot flapped around just a little. I've back twice since and it gets better every time, although there is a bit of swelling in the calf at the end of the day. Now heading for the Alps next weekend to see if I can do some glacier skiing 18 weeks post-op., but by the state of things in Tignes it looks like it is going to be more hill walking than anything else.
ski holidays
One further update. Managed to get a morning skiing on the Grand Motte on Wednesday. Not exactly the best conditions I have ever encountered, but it was good to get the skis back on mountain snow or for the most part ice and slush. No adverse reaction and now can't wait for the winter. All rather too hot in Tignes at the moment for my liking.
ski holidays
@Ski lots, Well done. Have a great winter when it comes.
snow report
Sounds good. Buy don't forget that if you ski against medical clearance or fail to tell the whole truth on your application the entire policy could be repudiated.
snow report
Yep well aware of the situation. Bought the lift pass the other day with insurance - for evacuation! Will have to make a full declaration when I come to get season cover come December. Consultant and physio say I should have no problems, as long as I avoid falling over - I usually make a bit of an effort not to. Now intending to go back to a bit of instructing indoors next month!
latest report
Quote:

Consultant and physio say I should have no problems, as long as I avoid falling over

Hmm. There are many reports on these pages of injuries caused by collisions. Fortunately my collision only cost a couple of straightforward fractures - upper and lower pubic rami - which mended nicely. Others have not been so lucky.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy