Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic Race ST Ski Review (& Cattisport retailer)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Atomic Race ST

Atomic’s info: http://www.atomicsnow.com/en/ProductFinder.aspx/#/alpine/alpine_ski/4/race/aa0002250/race_st

They call them the entry model of the slalom class, but I was really pleased with how all-round I found them and would actually recommend them as a recreational skier go anywhere ski. (I’ve not been skiing for many weeks and I’m no racer but these were perfect.)

I had enjoyed some borrowed Atomic SL11s in Italy in Feb, but was looking for a slightly softer and all-round ski for my only pair (whilst maintaining the super grip and turning I’d loved on the SLs). I chose the STs as they are slightly softer and wider than the SL11s, and were available for a bargainous 280 Euros (including bindings) from Catti Sport in Italy (see below). I’ve now used them for 1 week, on the EoSB. (See here for other skis SHs suggested might be suitable for me: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=75014)

The 156cm skis, have a radius of 11m. They have a huge sidecut and look a bit like egg-timers. The shovel on the front is 125.5mm, coming in to a 72mm waist.

As expected: Great on hardpack or ice, firm, grippy, secure, turns beautifully and so easily. Gave me much more confidence and got me doing proper rounded turns. Need a bit more speed and oomph than I was used to, to really feel at their best, but once I got the hang of that I was in love with them.

Surprise: No problems in EoSB slush. Just had to learn not to turn much but to relax and let them cut through the heavy stuff on edge.

Biggest surprise: The big shovel front and back meant they were absolutely fine for the off-piste dabbling that I was doing in Val T, on all sorts of surfaces, including some lovely powder on the last day. I am very, very light though, so they might not work for a big bloke.

Only drawback (but expected due to short length): Didn’t feel that stable when schussing straight, even on the gentlest slope, had to keep a slight edge on/turn.

Looks: Red, white, grey, smart unisex design

Weight: 6.3kg on my scales. Felt nice and light.

Bindings: XTO12 (DIN 4-12) Look just like other SHs’ Salomon ones. Do Atomic and Salomon share?

Verdict: Magic skis Toofy Grin Will keep me happy and progressing for many weeks more on any terrain.

------

Catti Sport Retailer

I really liked the sound of the STs from what I read of them on Atomic’s site but I struggled to find anybody selling them in the UK, or who had them in store in Val T. So before the EoSB I took the plunge and bought them untried from an Italian retailer with excellent prices.

I found Catti Sport through www.ebay.it international sellers. They have a real shop in Parma and an online store at http://www.cattisport.com/. Unfortunately they are closed from 9th May – 29th August, so don’t all rush at once, but the website is there, just mothballed.

I’d definitely recommend them, they had pretty much every Atomic race ski there is, in every length, and many more brands, at great prices. I paid 280 Euros for the skis and 15 Euros delivery to France (I think it would be same price to UK).

They arrive perfectly set up, in excellent condition and very well packaged. The service was very prompt and friendly (but required google translate and involved lots of !!!!!!s). They made a mistake, failing to send me a ski bag as well, but refunded more than its cost immediately by paypal as soon as I emailed them, on the Easter weekend(!)

Top marks to Catti Sport, well worth a look.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wigan, Great review, thanks!

I currently have Fischer amc 76, 176cm. I'm 190cm and 70kg and think my weight is holding me back in quickly turning these Fischers. Also they are all mountains and I actually prefer quick turns on freshly groomed pistes. So I'm thinking about the atomic race st's. However, I'm in doubt on which length to choose. The longest they make are 170cm so looking at my weight I'm thinking i don't need the longest, but maybe the second to longest, the 163cm. However, that seems such a big difference from the 176cm I currently have. Any advice?

Note that I don't really have problems with my Fischers, but just think they don't suit my preferred style. (And they are already a couple of years old Wink)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here's the link

http://www.cattisport.com/prodotto-14987-ATOMIC-RACE-ST-XTO12-SCI-SKI.html

Great ski, great price
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

XTO12 (DIN 4-12) Look just like other SHs’ Salomon ones. Do Atomic and Salomon share?

Same company, or at least same owners!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
McFlipp wrote:

I currently have Fischer amc 76, 176cm. I'm 190cm and 70kg and think my weight is holding me back in quickly turning these Fischers. Also they are all mountains and I actually prefer quick turns on freshly groomed pistes. So I'm thinking about the atomic race st's. However, I'm in doubt on which length to choose. The longest they make are 170cm so looking at my weight I'm thinking i don't need the longest, but maybe the second to longest, the 163cm. However, that seems such a big difference from the 176cm I currently have. Any advice?

No useful advice from me I'm afraid, apart from saying that when I was learning and turning up in ski hire shops I was being given c.165cm skis based on them looking me up and down and seeing my height. I'm actually rather skinny under that jacket though, and not an aggressive style skier so shorter skis were a happy revelation. Even made me think I might try out some blades one day for a laugh (but I'll get thrown off here for saying that wink

Somebody with some useful input will probably happen along before too long.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
the_doc wrote:
Quote:

XTO12 (DIN 4-12) Look just like other SHs’ Salomon ones. Do Atomic and Salomon share?

Same company, or at least same owners!

Ah! Thanks! They looked identical, just different coloured plastic.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went to a local ski shop here in Holland today. The guy agreed Atomic Race ST's are indeed very nice ski's, but he thought they might be a bit too soft. So he advised Rossignol Radical 8SL (he also did not have the Atomic ST's anymore, so that might have influenced him a lot). However, I can't find a lot about these, only that they are much harder to ski and much less forgiving then the Atomic's. Is my conclusion correct and can somebody shed some light on what would be the better choice? (I'm a good skier, but definitely would not call myself expert)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I bought a pair of Atomic Redster Edge SL from catti sport a few weeks ago at a nice price. The skis arrived real quick to Sweden but when I unwrapped them I noticed that one of the skies had delaminated about 5-10cm near the edge. I mailed pictures to cattisport and they said they would arrange for return transport, but then nothing happened. It is now 3 weeks ago and since 2 weeks they do no longer reply my emails. Any advice what to do is welcome. Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
McFlipp wrote:
I went to a local ski shop here in Holland today. The guy agreed Atomic Race ST's are indeed very nice ski's, but he thought they might be a bit too soft. So he advised Rossignol Radical 8SL (he also did not have the Atomic ST's anymore, so that might have influenced him a lot). However, I can't find a lot about these, only that they are much harder to ski and much less forgiving then the Atomic's. Is my conclusion correct and can somebody shed some light on what would be the better choice? (I'm a good skier, but definitely would not call myself expert)

I wouldn't say the Rossignal Radical 8SL is much harder to ski than the Atomic ST. I personally agree that the ST is too soft unless you are pretty lightweight. A slalom ski with a turning radius of 11m needs some stiffness if you are going to carve it with any aggression. The 8SL is still a step down from a full-on racing ski (which was the 9SL).

In the Rossignol 2014-15 lineup the 8SL has been replaced by the Hero ST and the 9SL by the Hero FIS SL. So the 8SL is an old model. You ought to be able to negotiate a good price. Go for it!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
On your earlier point. the Fischer AMC 76 has a turning radius of about 17m in the 176. A slalom ski will have a shorter turning radius and a short ski length. So the ST in 163 or the 8Sl in 160 or 165 would be just fine. 155 would be a bit short.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The problem with broken Atomic Redster from Cattisport I wrote about earlier has been solved. I received a response to my emails saying they had been on vacation, and then they arranged for return transport of the broken skis and sent me a new pair, no problems. Madeye-Smiley Now I'm just waiting for snow so I can test the skis =)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My son's redster SLs also delaminated along the edge. Ski shop I took them to said it was a common problem with the skis. I'd bought them 2nd hand so no comeback.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy