Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How 'out of date' are K2 Axis-XPs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I bought a pair of these in Vancouver back in 2002 just before spending a glorious 5 weeks in Whistler.

Described as a 'big mountain ski' they are fairly fat at: 115-78-105mm (tip, mid, tail). I've used them ever since in a variety of resorts for both on piste cruising and off piste fun.

About the only thing they struggle with is short carved turns and edge-to-edge speed which is not really surprising considering their width.

Simple question really - how much better are modern all mountain Skis like the Rossi B2 which have almost identical measurements (116-78-105) at the short carved turns and edge-to-edge speed stuff ?

I'm off to the 3V in Feb for just a week and am wondering whether to rent some B2s or lug my old faithfulls across and save the money ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hodsonb, Aren't those the direct father of the Apache Recon? A Ski Canada mag review rated then very highly so your only real solution is to take them and try them back to back with the B2's . . . danned if you do and dammed if you don't snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Curses I thought you might say that Smile

They are the direct father of the Recon AFAIK. They have always had great reviews. I'm mainly curious in how ski tech has moved on since 2002.

Is it just marketing hype, or are this years B2s *that* much better than 2002 skis like the Axis-XP or the old 3 star Bandits.

Why is it that just before skiing my whole life is taken up by thinking skiing, living skiing - I'm even sat here in my ski boots Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hodsonb, do you believe in incremental improvements of what you already do? Or do you wish for an entirely new experience?

As I'm a "new experience" fellow, I vote: Lug them across, then rent something truly fat or truly fast or truly AT* for a day or two.

PS if they're shorter than 180cm I know several skiers who would rip those XPs out of your hands when you aren't looking.

*forgot to add: and truly shorter. The XP in 188cm would have ~21m turn radius, ~18m in 174, using Physicsman's sidecut radius calculator.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 4-01-06 22:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yup, direct father of the Recon. Before them was the Axis X and X Pro, which came after the Mod7/8, Mod X and Mod X Pro.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They are the 176 (174?)s....

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy them - they have taken me all over the place Spankys ladder, Grand Couloir, Lac de Loup all over - I'm really fond of them !

I think your point about getting something totally different for a few days is a good one.

I might well try a pair of on piste carvers for a couple of days and see what the experience is like....

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 4-01-06 23:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, He He He Madeye-Smiley I just bought some 174 X-Pros (used for 3 days in '03 and then put away 'cos of a baby) for about $90 . . . bite me Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, nice find.

I'm only envious on behalf of others you understand, as I've 2 pairs of Elans, a pair of Ogasakas, and some asymmetric Fischer Radarcs (older but with fresh new WC Air Pro plates) in about the same shape.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy