Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is It Really Worth Buying My Own Skis?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm considering buying my second pair of skis after wrecking mine during the Xmas hols. The last pair lasted about 8-10 weeks skiing and 2 base grinds. They were waxed and the edges tidied before every week but the rocks got them in the end and apparently there's not enough depth of base to get the ptex to key onto. They are Fischer VC100 carving skis which were probably due for replacement anyway to match my improved 'ability'. I'm thinking of Bandit B2's but at £450 thats a lot of weeks hire without the cost of servicing and risk of wrecking them on the rocks. What would you do?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Remember that top of the range hire skis can set u back well over 100€ for the week and u might not always get your first choice of ski (though the B2 is pretty common). Anything else will likely be just about as worn as these skis you're replacing. I'm a little surprised that there's not enough base left after only two grinds though!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Marvel, if you want B2's, get to a Decathlon store. Thay have them for £360 (inc bindings) and you get three free waxings with them.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Marvel, a few years ago I tried out some rental skis, found I liked them and then went and bought myself a new pair of the same model of ski. However the new skis (flat, waxed bases and sharp edges) made me skis so well in comparison to the rentals...

If you want really decent rentals, you have to pay much more than your standard rental cost.

If you're only skiing one week per year, don't you want to ski better for that one week, tahn you would have done had you been wearing naff(er) skis?

It's just a thought. I know lots of people who are very happy to rent skis so they can ski over rocks and not worry about it, but then you might be the next person to rent that same pair of scratched up skis.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowy,
Quote:

It's just a thought. I know lots of people who are very happy to rent skis so they can ski over rocks and not worry about it, but then you might be the next person to rent that same pair of scratched up skis

Surely they are the people who have bought their own skis and want them to last a bit longer than 10 weeks? So they rent when the snow cover is poor.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The cost issue is (fairly) easy to assess; capital+maintenance+carriage vs rental cost. I ski 2 or 3 weeks a year, plus a weekend or two if I'm lucky, and I can't be arsed to cart skis about and maintain them (or have them maintained), and I like the idea that I can change them whenever I like (although I rarely do). It means trusting rental shops to maintain them properly, but I'd have to trust someone to maintain mine, as I wouldn't do it myself.

I was in Courchevel over Xmas; the snow was crap and I was very pleased that I wasn't on my own skis, given the damage done by gravel and rocks (I tried to treat them well, but short of walking down, damage was inevitable). I'd probably have paid half the rental cost, maybe more, to get them fixed up if they'd been my own.

The idea of selecting and buying my own skis is quite attractive, from a 'boys toys' point of view, but for me it doesn't make sense. If I skied more, I'd probably buy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin, I was a little disappointed they couldn't be repaired and probably pleased too as I was thinking about replacing them anyway but not till next year. Maybe I'll have a go at repairing them myself before I screw them to the garage wall.
Elizabeth B, I've had a look on the Decathlon site but can't find B2's only B3's which are more off piste than I do. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any stores in my area (Hants) either.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
B3's ski great on-piste and also ski well off-piste, however the B2 skis skis less well off piste as the B3 skis on piste. Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richmond, my attitude too.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Marvel, Keep your old skis for rock hoppers and rent. I don't know what shops everyone goes to, but if you look around each village when you get there, you'll find a shop with a good selection who look after their skis properly. Don't rent through the TO, just mooch about and see. I can't understand why you need 2 base grinds in such a little skiing, and also why they are so knackered now. I'm currently skiing my Volkl P50s as rock hoppers. They've done 60+ weeks, haven't been ground, and have been heavily damaged and repaired twice. Still fine!

B3 has a better rep as a precision ski than the B2 BTW. SMALLZOOKEEPER, Friend of mine tried them in Les 7 Laux t'other day on hardpack and ice and said they were "tres precis"
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Marvel, Snowtogs in Millbrook (Southampton) and Salisbury are the closest to you, Filarinskis in Havant a bit further. Don't know about the Bournemouth side. Nearest Decathlon is not near! Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
richmond wrote:
The cost issue is (fairly) easy to assess; capital+maintenance+carriage vs rental cost.

You left out the fact that should you choose to sell them, you get some of your money back. In a previous thread, I showed that in about 10 weeks a pair of skis will have paid for themselves.
The issue of carriage only applies on certain airlines and to limited resorts, I haven't paid ski carriage in 5+ years.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
I haven't paid ski carriage in 5+ years.

Your Excellency, the Lear Jet is ready for boarding. I personally saw your skis enter the hold and gave the handler - a most courteous member of staff - a small gratuity, since he had cut his finger on the razor-sharp edges.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 30-12-05 17:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here it is...
http://snowheads.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=214243

Although I would point out that even though I show how easy it is to save over £700 every few years by buying skis, there are still those who prefer the false economy of renting. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat, Yeah - but you ski more than the average Fox! If 10 weeks is 10 (or more) years, something much better will have come along in the meantime. Currently lots of straight skis on show as the French are out in force. Bought them - gonna ski on them till they die.. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
That does it for me. I normally ski 2-3 times per year at 8 days a time. Rental costs about £70 (100 euros) for top skis. I've never paid excess baggage, don't mind carrying them from the car and service them myself. Assuming I don't wreck them prematurely a £400 pair of skis should pay for themselves in about 2 years and should still be worth £100-200 if I choose to sell them. All I need to do now is find the best deal for a pair of B2's or B3's. The subject of the next thread?
snow report
The damage and repair considerations are important. From the sound of it, they've been quite topical in some ski areas of the Alps in recent days, which have seen exceptionally low temps but thin snow cover and plenty of rocks.

If you do make the investment, bear in mind that you only spread the cost (and obtain the resale value) if the skis are kept off rocks. The bases of skis are precision components, easily ruined in adverse piste and off-piste conditions.
latest report
Charlotte, I love the ' lots of straight skis on show' discription and so true on the slopes this afternoon. I tried some last year and found it impossible to control having only skied on carvers. Can't imagine what skis will be like in 5 years time.
I feel a new topic coming on....
ski holidays
Marvel, Decathlon's website only has a fraction of their stock on it. Phone your nearest store to check for availability....and remember to take your boots with you for binding fitting. At least I only live 5 mins away when I was sent back for mine Embarassed
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:
The damage and repair considerations are important. From the sound of it, they've been quite topical in some ski areas of the Alps in recent days, which have seen exceptionally low temps but thin snow cover and plenty of rocks.

If you do make the investment, bear in mind that you only spread the cost (and obtain the resale value) if the skis are kept off rocks. The bases of skis are precision components, easily ruined in adverse piste and off-piste conditions.

Though you can do wonders with ptex and even a core shot is fixable (learnt this the hard way!) If you're worried about durability, Voelkls are probably built from Tiger tank leftovers and are pretty much bombproof (I tried to find this out the hard way too!!).
On seeing the damage I did to my Karmas landing a jump on a hidden pointy rock, the ski shop reckoned that if it was my Sollies they would have snapped in half!! wink Not sure how durable B2s are, I suspect not quite so - look for thicker edges and thicker, thougher base material.
It p*sses you off quite a lot when you hit a rock with your new skis (first outing with my new ones I think I found every hidden rock on the mountain!), but after a while you get over it, it's a bit like getting that first scratch/dent on a new car. Skis are for skiing, if you're always worried about damaging them, buy them and hang them on the wall.
ski holidays
And always handy to buy skis in the summer sales if you are strapped for cash.
snow report
stuarth,
Quote:

If you're worried about durability, Voelkls are probably built from Tiger tank leftovers and are pretty much bombproof

I have a feeling that ise might not agree with all of that post wink
snow report
snowbunny, Me neither - I found a bunch of rocks last week with resulting damage :

Two shops told me they are not repairable, but having skied them on friday (damage to outside edge) and found no probs, I will attempt a fix myself - the edge is only slightly bent out & the sidewall/cap can be fixed with epoxy.
snow report
lampbus, Ooh nasty, does your insurance cover you for this? Sad
snow report
snowbunny wrote:
stuarth,
Quote:

If you're worried about durability, Voelkls are probably built from Tiger tank leftovers and are pretty much bombproof

I have a feeling that ise might not agree with all of that post wink

No Very Happy I've been using them recently and having to keep patching the bases nearly every other day. It's the tail delaminating and dropping apart that really annoys me though. Very, very flimsy and they've only had 40 or so days use.
latest report
lampbus,
Ouch!! Shocked rolling eyes
I put a great diagonal gouge about a foot long on the base of my karmas from one side to the other and was amazed that a) they didn't just snap! b) the edges were intact (though a little worse for wear!) c) didn't core shot them. I did a far lesser rock hit with my 1080s resulting in some serious surgery to get the edge straightened out. If you compare the two, the 1080s have much thinner edges and much thinner bases than the Karmas. The edge on my Atomics cracked all by itself without even needing to hit any rocks!! rolling eyes

ise,
What are they exactly? Where do they delaminate - is it below the metal topsheet? Wont they fix them under warranty, I thought Voelkl were supposed to be good for that?
ski holidays
ise wrote:
I've been using them recently and having to keep patching the bases nearly every other day.

Seems that every time I so much as look at my 5*'s,another chunk drops out.Whilst they may be a seriously good piste ski,I have serious doubts as to the durability of the bases.I have even had damage from a snowdome trip fer christs sake Shocked Now resigned to the fact they are heading for the bin.I'm afraid to say that,in my search for replacements,Volkl wont be on the list,which is a bit of a shame.
ski holidays
Hmmm...
I'm thinking that perhaps the V-skis (Gotama, Karma, Mantra, etc) use different edges and bases because they seem pretty tough to me (and a friend who runs a tuning shop)? Guess that wont help with delamination though?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowskisnow wrote:
ise wrote:
I've been using them recently and having to keep patching the bases nearly every other day.

Seems that every time I so much as look at my 5*'s,another chunk drops out.Whilst they may be a seriously good piste ski,I have serious doubts as to the durability of the bases.I have even had damage from a snowdome trip fer christs sake Shocked Now resigned to the fact they are heading for the bin.I'm afraid to say that,in my search for replacements,Volkl wont be on the list,which is a bit of a shame.

Me neither Very Happy Typically, of course, after I'd started to have problems I discover it's actually fairly common. Fairly typical German engineering I'd say, relying on a reputation for quality and turning out shoddy rubbish rolling eyes
ski holidays
I wish you lot had written this anti-Volkl thread a few days ago before I bought my wife her first pair of nice shiney skis (Volkl Attiva ACs) Sad . Luckily she doesn't read Snowheads Smile
ski holidays
Nick L,
Well I've had no problem with Voelkl with about 20-30 days hard skiing on them (so far - fingers crossed!). Since the edge cracked and bindings went funny on my Atomics after less than 20 days use and bits of the base have fallen out of my Salomon 1080s (though they too have had quite a long hard life!), I reckon they are a lot flimsier.
snow report
stuarth, thanks!
snow conditions
yepp... my volkls have done 4 seasons, or about 60 days now, plenty of decent gouges, right down to the metal frequently, ( especially this year at Deux Alps...), and one good nick at the edge... Always been repairable, and I cant tell the difference ! before or after.. Good skiis Very Happy

Weird tho, all my friends who come with me, ski over exactly the same snow and rocks, but dont seem to get half the damage !!

this has been done before but..
On the cost front... my skis cost £300 inc bindings.. plus paying ski carriage which must come to about £100 now, so I reckon it costs me about £120 a year to have my own skis. Carrying them isnt an issue as the ski bag holds all my clothes, and waving it around the airport means I get lots of room in a crowd Toofy Grin

The real advantage of having your own skis is not having to go to the hire shop, and of knowing what they will be like everytime you hit the slopes Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy