Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last minute Christmas week deals for a family?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody in last couple of years done a last minute deal for a family of 4?

We are sort of thinking of doing one but wondering if we are being unrealistic?
The only reason for asking now is if we are highly unlikely to get one then there is no point in trying to prepare mother in law.... Though maybe we shouldn't prepare and just let her explode if we pronounce a week before Christmas, oh we are off on holiday....At least we will be out the country LOL

Anyways thanks for any input.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends on the snow, no snow and there will be deals.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Filthyphil30k, No snow and won't go. Happy We have a week booked in April but would love to get a second week in, however stuck to school holidays.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NickyJ, leaving any trip until the last minute requires flexibility - if you have access to a number of departure airports and are happy to go from wherever has flights going somewhere that has access to suitable, available accommodation, AND good snow, plus you are flexible about the type of accommodation, you may well find something, but it may not be a rock bottom price. We have lots of last minute enquiries, right thought the season, from people looking for X, Y and Z, from just one regional airport, a long list of must-haves, and wanting to spend very little. They are usually disappointed and end up having to compromise on one or more feature. Flexibility is the key Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Montana, We have ultimate flexibility in that if we don't see a last minute deal flying out from any of Gatwick, Heathrow, Southampton, Bournemouth or Birmingham at a push, then we won't go at all.

We don't care really where we go in terms of resort as long as the slopes are open. However we would like a family room / quad / interconnecting rooms as the alternative would be me and hubby sleeping in seperate rooms with one girl in each room with us.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I booked for the last New Year on the Saturday morning after Xmas. I required 3 rooms in a catered chalet commencing that evening, and got them at a good price! However we were already in the Alps and prepared to just drive home if nothing came up. Looking for that New Years week a couple of weeks earlier prices were really high but came down dramatically during the Xmas week. On the basis that New Year is more peak season than Xmas I would guess something will come up very cheap very last minute, but it is always going to be a gamble!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Most of the last 10 years I've booked a last minute (either within 1 or 2 weeks of departure) trip for Christmas week. This has mostly been for a couple, but sometimes 2 couples. I'm quite fussy about snow conditions, and have almost always found something suitable, and often at a good discount (up to 50% off). The family / interconnecting room requirement will restrict you a bit, but I'd still expect you'd find something if you're flexible on everything else. If a company is going to start dropping their prices, then they typically do this around 2 weeks before departure - I tend to start looking at about 3 weeks out to see what there is, and check every day or two to see how much is still available, and what's happening to prices
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@viv, thanks for this.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NickyJ, I'm always looking even when I have a holiday already booked (sad I know!). There are always deals available at Christmas, however, your hope of interconnecting rooms will be one that would be difficult to achieve if you leave it last minute.

If Birmingham is a possible then don't rule out Luton or Stansted (must be a similar amount of travel time), although there are usually very few deals that come up for Luton - it's only 20 mins away for us so it's always the first airport I look for.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Birmingham is possible as in-laws live close to there which makes it an at a push. Luton and Stansted are just a pain the wot-sit due to Need to go round M25 but not impossible. We could but others are preferable but departure airport we can be quite flexible. This is why I was curious as to if others have booked or tried to book last minute with a family.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Presumably a catered chalet would always be ok too, even without interconnecting rooms; if there are, say, 6 rooms in the place and you have 2 of them then they won't be very far apart. I'd be ok with that for my kids anyway.
Ski Famille often have enormous savings last minute and they have family suites in all cases anyway, so that's definitely one website to keep an eye on; a family of 4 could have gone for £1,299 at Easter, including flights, transfers and fully catered... I was most jealous given we'd paid what felt like that much each!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
swoafs wrote:
Presumably a catered chalet would always be ok too, even without interconnecting rooms; if there are, say, 6 rooms in the place and you have 2 of them then they won't be very far apart. I'd be ok with that for my kids anyway.
Ski Famille often have enormous savings last minute and they have family suites in all cases anyway, so that's definitely one website to keep an eye on; a family of 4 could have gone for £1,299 at Easter, including flights, transfers and fully catered... I was most jealous given we'd paid what felt like that much each!!

We had very similar for the week we went in Easter school hols with Esprit!

Thanks for the tip on Ski Famille - will make sure we check them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NickyJ, We've booked the week that includes Christmas Day 3 times in last 4 years within a week of departure. Staying in hotels half board or catered chalets, some of which had the type of family room or interconnecting rooms you prefer. Didn't bother Christmas 2014 due to lack of snow. Good snow conditions other years. Christmas week surprisingly uncrowded I thought, in places such as Les Arcs and Tignes. Got what I thought were good deals, with significant discount on brochure prices. Weather can be a bit bleak and cold sometimes but wonderful to escape all the festive hype back home.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@NickyJ,
What's wrong with Bristol?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nothing though rarely seen last minute offers
From there. Being in the South has significant advantages!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy