Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oily c""p - irritating or a sign of 'hardcore'?

Poster: A snowHead
For years I used black ski trousers - peak, Patagonia, Arcteryx etc - lasted forever. Thought I would go a bit more colourful and bought some excellent lime green Patagonia keks. Felt young again as I joined the hard-charging bright plumage in the queues. After two weeks they looked rubbish - marked with lift-droppings and cack from turnstiles - all oily stuff which, if I use the right stain remover, rips off the dwr from the fabric. Now I know why I wore black. Now the vanity question - Do I try to get this vile blackness off (which makes me look as if I am pigpen) or wear it as a badge of 'I spend all my time in the hill?' - or should I put my vanity back in its box and not give a damn about appearances?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you noticed how some people manage to wear impractical colours without getting all messed up? Not me. Doesn't matter if it is ski gear or normal clothes if I wear light coloured trousers I end up with marks pretty quickly. So I've given that up - black ski pants and bright coloured jacked works much better for me than he alternative.

But back to your problem, I'd leave them. The original DWR works so much better than recoats. I'd try to keep it as long as possible.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't know where you've been skiing or what you've been doing @valais2. Both my kids have colourful kegs. And being kids they don't exactly take care. But I haven't noticed any "droppings and cack".

I wouldn't try and remove the stains personally so yes vanity in its box and wear it has a badge of honour I would say.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always wore black bottoms and bright tops but there is a school of thought that says bright bottoms (as you will only wear these to ski and only other skiers will see them) and less garish tops as then you can wear the tops normally and not look a right poseur.

Definitely dont try to get the stains out at the cost of the dwr, the dwr is never the same if you do despite re-coats or washes. Wear your stains with pride.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just leave them. Or ducktape over them for ultimate gnar wink

I've only used one lift that leaks oil (and even then only in specific conditions), but if you wipe it off with snow as soon as you get off the lift it comes straight off.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Have you noticed how some people manage to wear impractical colours without getting all messed up?
It always amazes me and Mrs MA the amount of women (and occasional man) who ski in spotless/gleaming white trousers. No idea how they keep them like that - especially if they find themselves on an icy, steep black run... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Give in to the grime I say! Very Happy Mr P sports similarly grubby looking lime green trews, and he manages (just!) to look like a proper ski dude.

I am equally amazed by fellow female skiers who sport pale colours, especially white. Me..never...- a 99% chance of chucking a vin chaud in my lap on day one. I am still very wedded to my red and black tartan bottom half, despite the holes. They certainly attract attention...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Have you noticed how some people manage to wear impractical colours without getting all messed up?
It always amazes me and Mrs MA the amount of women (and occasional man) who ski in spotless/gleaming white trousers. No idea how they keep them like that - especially if they find themselves on an icy, steep black run... Toofy Grin

One walk across the rapidly depleting snow/advancing mud line at the end of the day at Easter soon puts paid to the bottom of white trousers.

I changed from a grey-ish jacket to a green jacket a while back. First week skiing I picked up some black marks off a lift that I've never been able to get off the jacket.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On a recent winter sports holiday I came across a gentleman who had forgotten to put his tie on for skiing and a lady wearing trousers instead of a good tweed skirt. Standards in skiing are definately slipping
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
on one of my earlier skiing holidays I saw a gentleman in the check in queue at LHR wearing a Nevica one piece unzipped to the waist with a shirt, tie and tweed jacket underneath. And I don't think he was being remotely ironic!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict wrote:

You wait till they have the steamy brown runs caused by Henrietta the first year chalet host's dodgy cooking.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nope. Definitely get them cleaned. You have a choice of spending every single day looking like an impoverished pikey without a girlfriend or looking normal (how many other people have you noticed with grubby ski trousers?) and perhaps losing some slight water resistance? This was the first and only year that I have even needed waterproof ski gear and TBH I just regarded it as God's way of telling me that I was daft to ski in the driving rain anyway.

Of course, if you are a boarder not a skier then you can ignore all the above. They are meant to look like poo-poo.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bright yellow strides, screw them up by lean against car start of every season, wash at end of season, repeat. Don't sweat it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chairlift droppings are fairly common where we are - perhaps the Swiss are zealous in their application of grease to bearing surfaces - and indeed my 'mud slacks' (camo pattern peak keks - worn March-may) are revolting at the bottom of the legs at the moment. I looked down a couple of weekends ago and wondered if I'd been skiing or wading through the overflow from a septic tank....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@valais2, there was another thread on here a few months ago with someone having the same prob. But the replies suggested it was a bit of one off. Not sure if the "victim" was in Switzerland. I always thought the Swiss were very neat and tidy. Oh well, at least you have a new nickname... "grubby" Laughing
snow report
I've got yellow board pants. They look really grubby now up close despite reasonably frequent washing. Doesn't matter - still look awesome from a small distance. Anyone thinking 'my, look at the small oil stains on those lovely yellow pants' isn't worth worrying about wink
latest report
@kat.ryb, …hmm…distance…there's a thought…'who IS that dark, mysterious skier on the far horizon?…' - '…no idea, always skis by himself…some say his tag is '..oil-slick man…weird….'.
snow report
I get the impression that there have been a fair few wet days in the Alps this year. I wonder if that is the cause ? Pomas in particular tend to drip oil in high humidy above freezing conditions.
ski holidays
It's the moisture that does it. Mrs Jonny wears a rather natty pair of white ski trousers (I refuse to call them pants) and they stay clean all week in cold weather. After a drop of rain or a faint beam of sunshine, they soon look like a mechanic's rag.

I'd ignore any damage to the DWR. The kind of day that needs water resistant clothing is best spent in a cafe IMV.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'd ignore any damage to the DWR. The kind of day that needs water resistant clothing is best spent in a cafe IMV.

In which case anyone buying goretex skiwear is wasting their money!
latest report
jedster wrote:
Quote:

In which case anyone buying goretex skiwear is wasting their money!

Yup. Spend the money on a trip to a high-altitude resort instead.

I'm all in favour of Gore-tex style clothing for hiking and cycling. I just don't personally find any pleasure whatsoever in skiing in the rain. I would much prefer temperatures of -20C in a howling wind than endure the misery of drizzle.
snow report
Oh, the error is the earlier post which suggests GoreTex is for use in the rain. Sure it'll work there, but that's not what it's for.

Coastal snow is inherently wet: you're dealing with humidity one way or another all the time. Even with the finest light and dry powder sometimes people fall over and anything you travel in (cat, heli, lift) is inherently wet (because the snow melts..). Any chair which the liftie fails to clear the snow off is going to give you a wet bottom if you're not suitably clad.

Personally I don't fall over much and I don't ride in the rain unless it's absolutely essential, but I use GoreTex (Burton AK, thanks Jake) as it's just very comfortable in a wider range of conditions than most other stuff. And it's built to take a lot of abuse.
latest report
Quote:

Oh, the error is the earlier post which suggests GoreTex is for use in the rain.

Not sure which post you mean Phil but my comment was ironic. goretex needs its DWR to work properly* and is used in all sorts of weather conditions by I suspect most people who post here.

*without it the surface fabric wets out and stops breathing whatever the membrane is doing
ski holidays
I've been wearing the same pair of bright blue turquisey ski pants for 4 full years now - not a mark on them (not even from drag lift buttons)... apart from where the Sun has faded them, I'll be buying a packet of blue dye for next year and wearing them til they fall apart... at which point I will dutifully sew them back together.. not bad for £20!! I bung 'em in the washing machine at the end of each season with a handful of regular washing powder... then spray 'em with waterproofer before the first day of the season.

I've finally caved and bought myself a new ski jacket (in the End o' season sales for £49, lightweight and fully breathable - even has side vents and about 5/6 different pockets etc) for next year (and hiking as well it's that light) and I only bought it because the sleeves and pockets on my super lightweight hiking/skiing North Face summit series jacket got ripped by the super sharp edges of my skis this year... as I say again, i'll stick some electrical tape on the inside and wear it til it falls apart. It is also 4 years old and done 4 full ski seasons AND 4 full summer seasons hiking... again, not a mark of dirt on it, only where the sun has seriously faded the colour away.

I know people that buy new kit every single year... me? I can't be bothered to waste my money on things like that.
snow report
@Mountain Addiction, doubt you'l be able to dye synthetics...
snow report
@philwig,
Quote:

Oh, the error is the earlier post which suggests GoreTex is for use in the rain. Sure it'll work there, but that's not what it's for.

Well, I'd argue that it is predominantly for rain. It's pointless otherwise.

Quote:

Coastal snow is inherently wet: you're dealing with humidity one way or another all the time. Even with the finest light and dry powder sometimes people fall over and anything you travel in (cat, heli, lift) is inherently wet (because the snow melts..). Any chair which the liftie fails to clear the snow off is going to give you a wet bottom if you're not suitably clad.

Most of us here ski in the Alps so the concept of 'coastal' snow is slightly irrelevant. Either way, and I'm not a snow expert, but I'd argue that it's not about humidity. Wet snow contains more (frozen) water than dry snow, but while it stays in its frozen state the water content is meaningless. You will get a wet bottom from any sort of snow, if it melts. In my experience it's a pretty narrow zone between the snow staying frozen and the snow melting, but not evaporating away. Yes, there are occasions when that extra level of waterproofness is nice to have but for most people it's really not essential.

IMO GoreTex is indeed a waste of money for the vast majority of recreational skiers. I've never had Goretex ski trousers (I can't bring myself to call them 'pants' either) or a Goretex jacket. Have I ever got wet skiing? Once, this year in the driving rain when I probably would have been happier back at the chalet anyway. As far as I know none of my regular ski companions wear Goretex and they haven't complained either.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Mountain Addiction, doubt you'l be able to dye synthetics...

maybe not, but we'll see... i'm gonna keep wearing 'em if it doesn't work, either way i'm not fussed. They still function perfectly fine, so i'm happy to chance it - if the dye doesn't take it won't affect performance.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:

IMO GoreTex is indeed a waste of money for the vast majority of recreational skiers. I've never had Goretex ski trousers (I can't bring myself to call them 'pants' either) or a Goretex jacket. Have I ever got wet skiing? Once, this year in the driving rain when I probably would have been happier back at the chalet anyway. As far as I know none of my regular ski companions wear Goretex and they haven't complained either.

I disagree. When sitting on snowy chairlifts, or when snow melts as you go into crowded cable cars, etc, it's very nice to have GoreTex. As an example one day in the PdS we were skiing some really nice fresh snow on a storm day, but as temperatures were hovering around 0°C, snow/slush was qucikly melting when we sat on the lifts. Everyone I was with get wet through their salopettes (I hate the term pants too), which were all 10k 'waterproof.' I was bone dry (and rather smug wink ) in my GoreTex.

Plus there's the fact that anything made with GoreTex has to pass their very stringent tests, so is guarantee to last for a very long time. I'd rather spend €3-400 (sale prices) and have a high quality jacket that lasts for 5+ full seasons (well, years) than spend €80-100 every year on a new, lower performance jacket. Plus that you're also wasting less resources.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, Note that I did say it was a waste for the 'vast majority' of recreational skiers. If you are skiing full seasons then that clearly doesn't apply.

The 'stringent tests' are slightly irrelevant to this discussion. It's not about the overall quality, it's about the importance of waterproof clothing ( or the lack of importance). Goretex may be nice to have, but most skiers will feel the benefit of it very rarely.
snow report
My point was simply that I like GoreTex, with an explanation of why. I've no opinion on what anyone else should wear.

I once shared a heli with the owners of some fashionable snowboard brands, who were wearing their own gear. At the end of the day they were wet in BC 5% powder - light and dry, at probably minus 10. I was not in the least inclined to use their stuff even though they gave me some. Nobody flies helis in the rain in skiable conditions as it freezes on the blades. Yet you won't find a heli guide in something which isn't GoreTex or equivalent, for reasons already given.

Sure, you don't ski in those conditions. But I ride a fair bit in the Alps too, and I've done my time at Ski Rossendale, and I don't see a huge difference.

Pants is a fine English word. I've never owned a pair of "trousers" and hope I never will wink
latest report
I only get to go one or two weeks per season. I went to Serre Chevalier one year, maybe '95 or '96, and it poured with rain for three days at resort level with snow higher up. I was soaked to the skin and skied every day, because that's all the skiing I get in a year. My brother had GoreTex on and was dry, warm and smug. I admit I really enjoyed myself even though I was soaked and chilled to the bone. I'd do it again too if needed.

For me something really waterproof (Goretex or not) is worth the investment. I only get 6 or 13 days on the snow each year, every one counts. My Goretex jacket cost around £200, very roughly equal to a day on the snow so if it gets me out on just one rainy day when otherwise I wouldn't, I see it as great value.
ski holidays
I've never had trouble with a wet bum on chairlifts, even when I had 10 year old cheap H+M salopettes.

I'm sure there are conditions when decent breathable fabric makes a big difference. But I have to say that the cheap gear that I wore in less prosperous times was no less warm or comfortable than my current mid range stuff. The only time I've seen a performance difference is when there's rain low down and bitter cold wind and snow higher up - just the conditions that have most people heading for a café.

My somewhat unscientific and anecdotal conclusion is that expensive gear is of little practical value to the average recreational skier. It probably looks better and fits better, though. And the shop assistants will definitely be more obsequious.
snow report
Love this thread. I gave in an bought a lime green jacket a few years ago. It lives in a suitcase in the loft and only comes out for snow. It was way too expensive to be used every day. And it's relatively stain free.

My salopettes of the last 8 years are a sort grey. They may well be quite dirty. More embarrassingly, I regularly stab them with my poles so the bottoms are a bit raggy. And they are definitely not waterproof. If you ski in deep snow and especially if you fall over in it and you are hot from the effort the snow melts and soaks into the lovely woolly padding. It's fine until you cool down!

I am rather attached to my salopettes (which I wear over my pants philwig) but I now have another pair which I wear to ski off-piste. They are black valais2.
ski holidays
@henzerani, ...I do like '...they might be quite dirty...' - At the end of last season I was pootling around in a pair of winter camo pattern ski trousers which I considered rather cool until friend came out for the weekend and on the first lift of the day said '...those are disgusting...' - I thought they looked rather good said I - no said he, they are a great design, it's just that they are both filthy and stinky. A close look beyond the pattern confirmed they were vile. That night they had a shower down with cold water to preserve the dwr - and the stuff which ran out both made me gag and nearly blocked the drain. I wonder what else lurks in everyone's kit - bubonic plague? Marmot poo?
snow report
@valais2, ha ha. I have an allotment and I'm an archaeologist by trade so my definition of dirty is quite different to other people. Sadly, now that my daughter is a bit older I can't blame her for some of it.
latest report
Quote:

IMO GoreTex is indeed a waste of money for the vast majority of recreational skiers.

Nah. Doesn't need to be Goretex (I think my Patagonia H2N0 performs better most of the time) but a breathable yet waterproof outer is a necessity.

I started skiing age 4 or 5 (no-one can remember) in waterproofs. Vile.

I spent many years in SOS gear. "For skiers, By skiers", who like being moist - in a bad way.

I assure you. Breathable membranes make all the difference.

Good point from Clarky, often have skied PdS or other lower areas with lovely powder above say, 1,300m and a very wet chairlift in the rain required to access it.
snow report
@clarky999,
Quote:

Everyone I was with get wet through their salopettes (I hate the term pants too), which were all 10k 'waterproof.' I was bone dry (and rather smug wink ) in my GoreTex.

This is where wearing "pants" really comes into its own. Put incontinence pants over your salopettes and you have a perfectly dry bottom.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

IMO GoreTex is indeed a waste of money for the vast majority of recreational skiers.

Nah. Doesn't need to be Goretex (I think my Patagonia H2N0 performs better most of the time) but a breathable yet waterproof outer is a necessity.

I started skiing age 4 or 5 (no-one can remember) in waterproofs. Vile.

I spent many years in SOS gear. "For skiers, By skiers", who like being moist - in a bad way.

I assure you. Breathable membranes make all the difference.

Good point from Clarky, often have skied PdS or other lower areas with lovely powder above say, 1,300m and a very wet chairlift in the rain required to access it.

But what you are saying is that breathability is the important feature, and I think most people would agree with you. Skiing in a plastic bag would be no fun at all. However, loads of fabrics (including a good Harris tweed) are highly brathable. The question is how important is it that the fabric is waterproof. My view is that on >95% of days it's irrelevant. The <5% of days when it does come in useful will tend to come at the ends of the season when rain is a more of a possibility, so if you tend to ski in January, February, early March then you will probably get away without Goretex (or similar) very happily.

Don't misunderstand me, I think Goretex (and similar) gear is wonderful stuff, but for most (but clearly not all) recreational skiers I'd put it firmly in the not-essential-but-nice-to-have category. This year's holiday was the first time in my skiing career that I would have liked Goretex. In the driving rain it would have kept me a bit drier. Would it have meant that I could have pleasurably skiied for much longer that day than I did? Not really. The dripping goggles and heavy, wet snow meant I was happy to call it a day regardless of how wet my bum was.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy