Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fear and Loathing on the Moutiers ski train

Poster: A snowHead
The international traveller arriving at Ashford station, one sip of coffee will tell you why tea is the national drink in the UK. Elegant Parisiens stand out in this grey, easy-wipe transit station. They stand out amongst me and my fellow travellers too. Bastions of chic elegance amongst a sea of waterproofed gaudiness which no sane person would think to wear normally. But we wear our gear with pride, our badge of office, our herd migration. Today we invade the mountains. We come by land and sea and air. By road and rail. To seek those rare elusive moments of snow serenity to tide us over till our next fix.

A six hour or so train journey lies ahead. Two small boys require entertainment and i fear the supply of battery power and colouring books may not be enough. Platform 3 awaits us. The first call has started a stampede in the herd towards the empty platform... time to move
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Underway on time. Busy but room enough for our caravan of luggage. I remember travelling light but those days are a distant memory these days. The tunnel awaits...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Richard_Sideways,
I didn't think Parisiens skied at Easter - don't they head in the other direction?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never mind sipping tea Richard_Sideways, what have you really been on Laughing ??

Couldn't have put it better myself - very poetic Smile.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
musher wrote:
@Richard_Sideways,
I didn't think Parisiens skied at Easter - don't they head in the other direction?

Don't see many on the French Riviera at Easter, they normally flock down like a herd of wilder beast in May, when they have a long weekend holiday ( can't remember the name of it at present).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Underway on time. Busy but room enough for our caravan of luggage. I remember travelling light but those days are a distant memory these days. The tunnel awaits...

I'm back to travelling light now the kids prefer to stay at home, all clothing necessary for a week skiing and ski boots in my case last week, 14.8kg!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We emerge into the mists of Calais.Flat landscapes belie our final destination. Our carriage seems to be mainly families - the crackle of sweetbags and hiss of carbonated drink bottles, slack fragments of overheard conversation cosist of schoolyard gossip. Fat-ugly Alice is singled out for particular chargrin from the next table... her crimes seem to be related to her nickname... Best beloved returns with coffee and tales of champagne picnic from other carriages.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Best written blog thread for years. Keep it up!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can you get a picture of Fat Alice Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brilliant! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Love it Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Has anyone chanced the loos yet? We must know!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why is the champagne always in other carriages....? Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Two and a half hours in. A strange quiet has decended on carriage 1. Initial euphoria has subsided into the long haul. Even fatugly Alices peers have sunk into an iphone induced coma. A fug of M&S white wine and congealed pizza cheesehangs thick in the air as the French farmbelt streaks past.
Toilet situation report: still acceptable - if somewhat damp and fragrant.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Richard_Sideways, For where does thy head Puzzled
snow report
@stewart woodward, Utopia.......
latest report
@Richard_Sideways, lovely thread, and hope all is still going well.
But back at the start you suggested there were Parisiens on Ashford station Shocked Surely not. Would never be allowed back in the bistro.
snow report
Nearing Four hours i think, but time is losing its meaning.

The death knell of the modern age will be the 'bloop bloop' of a low battery. As one by one electronic entertainments fall by the wayside, victorian parlour games now hold sway amongst the young powered by nothing but paper and pencils as France sweeps past at a hundred miles an hour. Those of age are self medicating with caffine and gin.
My wife returns with my own medicine and tails of wild debauchery in carriage 7, scenes of base depravity not seen since the fall of Rome.

Have not visited toilet since last report but passers-by exhibit the haunted stares of those who have seen too much...
latest report
Laughing genius
ski holidays
10 miles east of Lyon if gps can be trusted and Alices torment have found more battery power. Noise levels reaching new levels of intensity as the original four are joined by two cohorts from the business class part of the train.
latest report
This has made my saturday
latest report
gold.....
latest report
Having a giggle now in the utterly boring (for parents) kids playroom at Zurich Airport. Flight to Grneva soon. I should have taken a train! Laughing
ski holidays
Pending wrote:
Having a giggle now in the utterly boring (for parents) kids playroom at Zurich Airport. Flight to Geneva soon. I should have taken a train! Laughing
ski holidays
we have stopped. A quick walk revealed that the hedonists in carriage 7 have passed out from their exertions - kids today - no staying power. The toilet near the bar may be haunted judging from the miasma surrounding it and the luggage in carriage 3 has broken loose and is now roaming the corridors freely.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 29-03-15 17:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Took one of the overnight Eurostars a few years ago and there was a party of 6 or maybe 8 people in nearby seats. Their drinks stash was impressive, 2 magnums of champers, bottle of caramel vodka, bottle toffee vodka and at least one tray of lager. It mostly all got drunk somehow and to be fair they were well behaved albeit a bit noisy until the early hours. They looked a bit grim the next morning though Smile

Now Eurostar are being strict on the amount of booze you can take on the train though, does anyone know if there was something in particular that brought this about?

Nice blog so far ricard s
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
we have stopped. A quick walk revealed that the hedonists in carriage 7 have passed out from their exertions.

Too late for pictures then Puzzled
snow report
Terrain becoming mountainous, the first signs of snow as we pull into Chambery. Train journey now as timeless as these granite monoliths. The kids are lost to a DVD while my wife seeks refuge in her ebbing kindle app. Our megre supplies of vino are dwindling. Wife swears she can smell nail polish - perhaps others drink deprivation have forced them to extreme measures.

The surrounding levels of squalor increase - the evidence of conspicuous consumption abound. Alices torment are becoming fractious and while away the time hiding their own shoes and hunting for snack remenants.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 7-04-15 9:56; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Excellent stuff Madeye-Smiley The bar has been set, we will expect more of this throughout the week.
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, you are making me do glad we are flying in two weeks time Happy
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Alice's torment are becoming fractious and while away the time hiding their own shoes and hunting for snack remenants.
Laughing this reminds me of a chapter out of "The Girl with All the Gifts"
ski holidays
Are you there yet?
ski holidays
Albertville. A walk to the buffet car reveals the party carriage is wracked with recrimination and rumours of who has photographs of whom performing what on who. And onesies... so many onesies. Moments of regret and remorse abound. Replished with Toblerone, we start our final leg.

Toilet condition are now best described as treacherous.
latest report
Quote:

you are making me do glad we are flying in two weeks time

yeah, he's not doing much to sell the joys of train travel, is he?
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, excellent thread, made me laugh. Enjoy your trip, one question. No charge points on the train for electrical goods? Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

@Richard_Sideways, excellent thread, made me laugh. Enjoy your trip, one question. No charge points on the train for electrical goods?

There are some, in "standard" the carriages adjacent to the bar (5 and 14), and in all of the "premier" carriages, but of course you have to book a seat in one of those to benefit. I always book one of those when travelling with children for exactly that reason

Later this year they are updating all the rolling stock, apparently, and will include sockets at all the seats.
latest report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Alice's torment are becoming fractious and while away the time hiding their own shoes and hunting for snack remenants.
Laughing this reminds me of a chapter out of "The Girl with All the Gifts"

The wording reminds me of Douglas Adams
snow report
I just hope that Slack Alice isn't a snow heads member or you're in deep doo doo.
snow conditions
@emwmarine, That crossed my mind too Laughing
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Replished with Toblerone...

The intoxicants are clearly taking their toll Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy