Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go in Feb Half Term, 2016 - intermediate family - low altitude resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thoughts turn to our Feb. 2016 skiing trip. Looking at 13-20 Feb - zones A&B on hols in FR.

Skied in Hemsedal last two years, but looking at somewhere different next year. Possibly Trysil.

Requirements are:
Family of Intermediates (6-8 on Inside-Out scale). Me and Mrs are 6-7 and kids are 7-8.
Kids will be 12 and 15. Both getting fed up with cruisy blues. Want something harder. Mrs and I don't.
Not bothered about Apres.
Low altutide resort preferred - one of us has had problems with living (not skiing) at altitude in the past, so lower resort preferred
Usually self-cater, but any catering option considered.
Kids would like good quality, English speaking ski school which would push them a bit
Austria may be good - Fasching is the week before we intend to go (I think.....)

Cheers

Dobby
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you like going to Norway again, why not try the westcoast? Voss is just 1 and half hour away from the airport with train connection. And there you can ski both Voss resort and Myrkdalen.

Otherwise, Chatel in France should be a good choice for a family holiday. Large ski area for all levels and low altitude town. And the city is cozy!

In Austria, you might consider any resort in the Zillertal area.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Woosh, thanks. Will have a look at those suggestions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, Chatel is great snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dobby, Anywhere in the Salzburgerland area would suit you and your children and most of the 2/3* hotels will do a family option, either B&B or half-board. The place where I stay cost me 70 Euro p/n half board regardless of which week of the season. Breakfast is a buffet and the evening meal is also buffet-style with a choice of main course made the evening before. Most of the family run places with up to 3* rating do the same.

All the ski instructors can speak excellent English, many ski schools actually employ native English speakers as well. English is seen as an absolute must-have in the tourist industry here, so the hotel training schools have been emphasising it for years and it is taught as a part of the main (core) curriculum in all the schools starting at Primary 3 I believe. By contacting the tourist offices you will get a list of the self-catering options as well.

My personal favourites in no particular order are: Altenmarkt-Radstadt, Wagrain, St Johann-Alpendorf, Maria Alm, Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Schladming, Filzmoos, Werfen-Weng. Many of these are inter-linked by lifts, e.g. Alpendorf to Zauchensee and back again would exhaust even the most athletic youngsters. The 4-mountains from Reiteralm to Hauser Kaibling and back is another "good day out" in anyone's book.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I also have a family member who cannot stay at altitude (major heart problem). Her cardiologist was brilliant. "We can't recommend that you go anywhere cold, or anywhere high. But as you are going to go anyway, why not try Ellmau"
We did and it was great for us. You also have the Kaiserbad Leisure Centre for that day off mid week when [whoever] can't manage to ski. And the Ski Welt area for those who want to be a bit more adventurous.
Having said that, I agree with Samerberg Sue
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dobby, I can highly recommend the areas suggested by @Samerberg Sue too. However, we never tried out any of the ski schools. We have in the Ski Welt - as @JohnHSmith, suggests Ellmau - Jnr really enjoyed his lessons with the ski school there (think it was Hartkaiser ski school). We've just returned from Hinterglemm where Jnr also really enjoyed his lessons with Snow and Fun - he was in the top group and they were pushed quite hard although he never came back saying he was exhausted.

To be honest, most places in Austria should suit with the altitude.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@JohnHSmith, that's the sort of doctor I like. @hammerite, thanks for the tips.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy