Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding Issue?! Heel kind of lifting out of binding?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was at Castleford the other day doing a few runs and noticed the heel on my binding moving almost as if it was going to release when flexing into the front of my boots. I can't work out if I'm going mad and this is completely normal or something needs looking at / adjusting? I've never noticed them do this before!

I use these skis a couple of times a month. I checked the dins and they're my usual setting, not moved. Also checked the heel length and seems to be in the same correct place for my boots. I've never touched the bindings since they were setup directly at HEAD (apart from highering the din slightly more). For reference the skis and binding are HEAD WC Rebels E-SL SW RP + Free Flex 14 Grip Walk Binding.

Video of binding movement: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hjsU7XYKkLZ28HM2-fMAVYIREOFyn6mF/view?usp=sharing

I took it slow skiing when I noticed this and gradually pushed them harder up to my normal skiing level and force, they didn't have any issues or release etc. Is that amount of give / elasticity normal or does something look off?

Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 14-11-23 17:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ashore, I would say that is definitely not normal and needs looking at.

I service our skis (family of 4) and pretty sure all click in and are held firm. Only time I recall something like this is when it's not clipped in properly, there is snow.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’m not familiar with the particular binding and notwithstanding that you say that you have not adjusted them, but have you checked the forward heel pressure on the rear bindings. Most bindings have some form of indicator to confirm they are in the right position.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My first thought was also to check forward pressure indicator but very strange that both are out of wack at the same time if you have not changed anything.
@spyderjon is your best bet for advise.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ashore, defo not right, defo ask @spyderjon, - I've never seen bindings do that, but my only expertise in fairness is having done a fair bit of skiing haha.

Doesn't feel to me that it's forward pressure, but maybe that's what Heads do if it's loose.

Only time I've seen anything similar was a pair of Look 99RSs in the latter '80s where the springs had rusted through and shattered Shocked but they just flopped around...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the responses. Seemed to me it was not quite normal so I'll look into getting it check out.

I can't say I'm familiar too with binding adjustment, apart from setting DIN, and so don't trust myself adjusting forward pressure / length / AFD etc. I'll contact Jon to see if I can get an appointment with him to take a look.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ashore, Just give Jon a ring and send him the video - he may be able to tell you how to fix it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowheid wrote:
@ashore, Just give Jon a ring and send him the video - he may be able to tell you how to fix it.

Thanks, I've emailed him and sent the video Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You will get a bit of movement but that is excessive. Next time you are at Castleford why not pop in to Ellis Brighams
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ashore, Assuming that the din hasn't been turned right down there shouldn't be any free vertical movement at all. The Freeflex heel has a history of breaking but it's usually the opening lever that breaks and completely locks up the mechanism. Maybe a broken spring but unusual for both heels to be the same. Send vid to Roz at Head UK in Kendal - I've emailed you her address/phone number.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm quite a big lad so perhaps to be expected but had several binding issues/breakages over the years. Most just don't seem that durable to me. But then I don't buy top of the range so....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Layne wrote:
I'm quite a big lad so perhaps to be expected but had several binding issues/breakages over the years. Most just don't seem that durable to me. But then I don't buy top of the range so....

I say this about ten times a week: "I can offer you light, durable and cheap - which two out of of the three do you want?"
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@spyderjon, very good
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy