Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Serfaus Fiss Ladis 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
Arrived yesterday afternoon in a very green Serfaus. Only about 25% of the pistes open so I was expecting monster queues and woeful pistes. Couldn't have been more wrong. Dusting of snow overnight in the valley turned into 10cm of fresh up top. Bluebird day and all the pistes open were in very good condition. Lift queues mostly only a couple of minutes. Cannons have been on all day on some of the closed pistes so I'm hopeful of more runs being open by the end of the week.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Valkyrie,

Heading out next Saturday for the first time so keep the posts coming snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You will enjoy. One of the best kept secrets from a Brit perspective. Unusually high for an Austrian resort and some breathtakingly long red runs from top to bottom. In fact it has 2 of my favourite runs ever. Added to which the infrastructure is premier league with an unusual abundance of gondolas one of which I have never come across anywhere else - one with heated seats. Added bonus you can leave your boots and skis at the gondola station. Finally the weekly night skiing has to be done.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
puplett wrote:
You will enjoy. One of the best kept secrets from a Brit perspective.

Amen to that. If I had to choose just one resort, one area, if would be Fiss, Ski Dimension

I'm not out there until mid-march but thanks to Valkyrie for starting this thread so I can keep an eye on conditions Smile

puplett which are those reds you're referring to? So many great runs out there. There's a belter on the 'northside' underneath the new Almbahn gondola
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@puplett, Can you give me a steer on nice easy blue Beginner/timid intermediate runs above Serfaus (assuming runs to resort will be closed), my wife is thinking about coming out of ski retirement snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Guernseyfreerider, the area at the top of the Komperdell gondola, & connecting Familienbahn lift is/are very gentle wide open blue country.

If - if - they open up the blue run down to Serfaus with artificial I'd strongly advise she avoids it as it gets very heavy and very busy. It's a bit of a gully and is generally unpleasant. Much better to download via the Komperdellbahn bubble
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Guernseyfreerider, The Südabfahr (No.89) is off the beaten track and is nice and gentle but watch out for the bottleneck as you get to the bottom in Serfaus (difficult to avoid as all the runs come in here). If you can get across to Fiss there is a wonderfully gentle Blue from middle station on the Sonnenbahn down to Ladis and this has the added bonus of beng serviced by a gondola. We had a timid skier amongst us and she loved it. I would highly recommend it to your wife. Finally there's a quiet red run again serviced by a gonodola (Waldbahn) run No. 70 which would be good as she feels more confident. Any other questions happy to try and answer.

@red 27, No. 7 Frommesabfahrt off Schonjochl and 104 Seablesabfahrt off Plansegg. Both have the bonus of being long and varied.

I would put Serfaus/Fiss in my top 3 resorts and on a par with the 3 Valleys skiingwise. The only thing thats lets it down are the restaurants in number terms (they could learn a lot from Saalbach). Other than that it has a lot going for it particularly for families as it is a very family friendly resort.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been looking at the piste map and spotted a mauve line the Serfauser Sauser. Holy cow turns out it's a four stage zip line!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@puplett, Thanks for this, had thought the run to Ladis might be a good one if the snow comes. On the basis we're unlikely to have a game changing dump and the freeride routes remain closed is there anything steep I can go and have a play on?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Guernseyfreerider, Diretissima no. 56 will bring a tear to your eye though it's quite short. That and the Pezid/Vertkal (145) are the only real tasty blacks that I can think of. But as I said there are some really great long cruising reds than both undulate and twist and turn and with a fair old lick on can really get the adrenalin pumping.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@puplett, @Guernseyfreerider, Lazid X-dream underneath the Lazidbahn is the most daunting although I have great pic of the piste markers on Diretissima which have the number of the emergency services on them

Gfallabfahrt & Almerpiste (sp) are also proper blacks.

Loads of steep piste skiing - it's a belting area
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[/img]
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How did you guys do it out of interest? Book flights / transfers and accom through the tourist office?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Levi215, No total DIY. Easyjet flight to Innsbruck, taxi transfer and booked accommodation found through the official website (used the town plan to check location as we stayed in Fiss and its on a bit of a hill!

But don't tell too many people it's charm is its lack of Brits (they can stick to St [M]Anton)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was on the list from a previous post on here got some time in feb so might try and last minute it
snow report
if the skiing is not enough???? you must do the night show(very good) the night skiing, and the fantastic night slegding all off which take place in fiss on different nights during the week
latest report
The skiing is good enough! They managed to open a couple of extra runs yesterday, including 7 - the long run back into Fiss from the Northside. Warm today but turning very cold near the end of the week, looks like it'll be a great New Years week.
ski holidays
Also open now is the big blue above the Serfaus Middle gondola beginners area. Great run for the less confident.
ski holidays
Any recommendations for good accom (pool ideally) good food too?
ski holidays
@Levi215, Can't really recommend as we stayed in an apartment and self catered. My recollection of the hotels were that they were all top end, certainly in price terms.
snow report
@Levi215, I stay here - best hotel I've stayed in. Flawless

http://www.schlosshotel-fiss.com/en/
ski holidays
@red 27, What the hell is it with Austrian runs called Directissima Puzzled There is one 3km run at Katschberg that apparently has sections up to 100%. Guess who was the idiot that decided to pop off a lip at speed... almost a proper brown trouser moment Shocked

Pic from this site http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/katschbergaineck/test-result/experts-freeriders/
snow report
@Scarpa, oooh that looks NICE Madeye-Smiley

I think they call them Diretissima when you'll be going diretissimally to the Krankhaus should you get it wrong Skullie
ski holidays
@Valkyrie, Where you finding the best skiing at the moment? Looked very warm today snowHead
snow report
That looks lovely
ski holidays
Positive temps today even up at 2800m but pistes still in great condition - at least in the morning. We came down after lunch, but that was because my wife was tired, not because there was anything wrong with the conditions. I had a couple of great runs down the PZ black and as it is North facing it was particularly awesome. Looks like there'll be a couple more runs open in Fiss tomorrow too.

Re accommodation, I think you'd struggle to find a bad hotel around here. This week we are staying in the Alpenruh in Serfaus and it's fine. Great breakfast, big room, six course dinner every night and a small pool/ sauna/wellness area that I probably won't get around to using. It's at the far end of town from the gondolas but less than 100m from a station for the amazing little underground. Most folk keep their skis and boots at lockers necpxt to the gondolas so it's dead easy in the morning to hop on the underground in normal shoes. On the way home at night we just walk through the town - it's less than a mile end to end so you're never too far from the lifts.

Last year we stayed in Fiss, which was fine but I think Serfaus is a slightly better location overall.
ski holidays
@Guernseyfreerider, Diretissima is South facing so unlikely to open any time soon. If you like it steep the keep to the left of the piste map and you'll be fine. The PZ black is fun but fairly easy for black. With a bit more snow they might open PZ Direct which would be much more interesting! Plenty folk venturing off-piste up around Masner, although I've seen a few small avalanches today so things not too stable in these warm conditions.
snow report
@Valkyrie, Have you experienced the ski school at all? I was thinking if we get some snow on Sunday of joining a group on Monday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarpa, well I did warn you NOT to over take me as it has some very "interesting" compressions and lips, as I discovered at high speed on a very low viz day Shocked
snow report
@Kooky, They can be bigger than they first appear. Lesson learned... never jump when it's too steep to see beyond the lip Laughing
ski holidays
Red 64 from Moseralm down to Fiss is great for building confidence. We found it much easier than many of the blues. There is a great side run for children near the top of the run with bats and bears that make noises as you ski past. Overall it is a great resort with something for everyone.
ski holidays
Went over to Fiss today go check out conditions there. Snow pretty good on Northside, but hard and scrappy down towards the bottom but overall still very enjoyable. The main runs into Fiss and Serfaus are both closed but are both getting plenty traffic. Instructors are taking big groups of learners down them! The run into Fiss is fine all the way, the one into Serfaus is very brown and stony for the last couple of hundred metres. Lightly snowing now and it looks like there'll be a fair amount of fresh stuff over the next few days. Also getting colder so the canons are on again.
snow conditions
I've never been here but I think I'll add it to the list ... how have I missed it before?
Looks like its not on the Brits circuit.
snow report
@DrLawn, make it top of the list wink
ski holidays
Snowed all day here and the cannons are on virtually everywhere. The skiing was hard work today in very flat light but the pistes are going to be transformed. Hope everyone coming out tomorrow enjoys themselves. I'm off to Zell am Ziller tomorrow for the New Year week. Looks like it's going to be snowy and seriously cold there. I'm going balaclava shopping tomorrow.
snow report
Hi all!

I've just joined this forum after reading your posts on these resorts. I am new to Austria and bought my season pass Tirol snow card yesterday. Went up the Stubai Glacier which was loads better than I imagined based on previous local conditions.

Anyways.. Could you guys recommend any other resorts now that the snow is coming on strong? I have tried to find current information but am finding it hard (my dyslexic brain may be interfering though Sad )

Please feel free to move this post if it is not suitably placed on this forum Smile

Cheeers

Bunt Smile
latest report
Levi215 wrote:
Any recommendations for good accom (pool ideally) good food too?
have a look at the Hotel Rex.

Great location, gourmet food, excellent rooms and good facilities (sauna etc.)

A useful thread here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=84927&highlight=

Enjoy if you choose to go, we'll go back at some point - we do self drive so it's pretty straight forward.
ski holidays
Arrived this afternoon after a relatively painless drive from Friedrichshafen. Was getting excited when we passed the Arlberg as it was hosing it down and I was starting to regret leaving my fat skis at home. Unfortunately the storm seemed to have bypassed Serfaus and they had just a sprinkle. Sad

Staying at www.alfahotel.at and very nice too.

Just started showing again now so hopefully get to make some nice turns tomorrow snowHead
snow report
@Guernseyfreerider, looking like Serfaus is forecast to have a few nicebtop ups this week.
ski holidays
Bit of a hijack but anyone used the ski school - we're trying Serfaus for the first time in Feb. There only seems to be one choice - was just wondering what peoples experiences are?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy