Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow train - silly question

Poster: A snowHead
Is there a baggage car or some other place for outsize luggage on the snow train? Or will we be having to cram a snowboard bag under my seat for 6 hours?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Richard_Sideways, do you mean the overnight sleeper or the eurostar?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is a fair amount of space at the end of the carriage for cases etc. We fitted our skis on the overhead racks last year without a problem. If your bag will not fit in either of those places I'm sure the train staff will find somewhere to stow it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
when I did a sleeper (6 berth compartment) I had to sleep with my skis. wink But would definitely rather lie down with my skis than sit up all night. On the return journey I was the only person in the sleeper so could strew my stuff around, no problem.

Daytime TGV sounds a good way to travel though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All here:
http://www.seat61.com/lunea.htm
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not the overnight, the eurostar. We're picking up the train from Ashford on Saturday morning.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Richard_Sideways, yes, there's loads of space at the end of each carriage and the overhead shelves will hold a medium suitcase too. On the snow train direct, they cover a couple of seats at the end by the luggage area so you can stash oversize bags there if they won't fit on the rack.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thats good - hopefully all the room won't be snaffled by the people who got on in London. Main concern now is keeping a 3yo and 5yo entertained for 6 hours... Confused
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Richard_Sideways, We have done this journey several times and one was when our children were the same age as yours. I don't remember them getting bored at all. In fact they always complain if we go by any other means of transport now!

In the days mine were 6 and 3 we took puzzle, sticker books etc. Now they are older they take a bag of things to do but spend most of their time either reading and playing on Ipods, chatting to other children in the carriage or looking out of the window. The first time they fidget suggest its time for lunch. The next time send them to the folding seats at the end of the carriage. Toofy Grin Although chances are they will just be happy sitting in their seats watching for the first sight of the Alps.

One tip if you have a daughter - take some antibacterial wipes to clean the loo seat with. And a spare loo roll too.

The reason we went to St Pancras last time was that we didn't want to have to board with lots of luggage in a rush. However it does stop for enough time at Ashford. It is probably worse at Ashford on the return journey when you need to make sure your luggage is not stuck behind some London luggage!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We're loaded up on books/comics/stickers/dvds/laptops charges/ceebies apps/lego apps etcetcetc. Got boys but using a nasty khazi is never much fun so will stock take the advice...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

And a spare loo roll too

Must be my years of travelling with kids, some of it in Africa. I never go anywhere without a loo roll. Or if on my own, and a short journey, a decent supply of tissues.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard_Sideways, looks like you are fully loaded with all necessary equipment to make sure your journey goes ok.

A minor point, but it does sometimes help with getting the right answers: your train is called the Ski Train by Eurostar.
The "Snow Train" no longer exists (much missed by many)
These 2 trains only run/ran at weekends.
You can also get to the alps by train any day of the week by taking the Eurostar to Paris and changing to Gare Lyon for day trains (6-8 trains per day) or Gare Austerlitz for night train with couchette facilities.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Jonpim, I stand corrected. We did look at the alternative eurostar-paris-change train but the thought of transporting luggage+kids on the metro on time *shudder*. This is an experiment in a way, Always29 and I would really like to be able to get away twice a season now the boys are old enough to appreciate the trip and get on the snow themselves, but with one in school and the other starting in September, we'll be more and more limited in times when we can go so our traditional model has to change. If the train isn't too horrific then it becomes an option, if not we'll be back to plane and short transfer. Driving just doesn't appeal any time soon.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My last ski train journey in Feb this year some carriages were about a third empty, so there was a lot of free seat space for overspill bags from the next carriage. You can look online to see how full your train is - and change your seats to a coach with the most free seats.

From next season the direct London-Lyon Eurostar will give another option. The Lyon-Bourg link is a big downside though - the local trains can be extremely crowded in the season.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@AndrewsPeppers, I doubt there will be a spare seat this week. It was completely full in school holidays last year.

Does anyone know what days the London Lyon Eurostar will run during the ski season and when tickets will be available?
ski holidays
It was already almost full when we booked back around Christmas...
snow conditions
Eurostar are saying London-Lyon will be Saturdays only in Nov/Dec this year. Nothing released for the main Jan-Apr 2016 ski season, but I suspect one on Saturday would be the most they will run.

Even if the train is very likely to be full, worth checking online just to see.
ski holidays
There are cubby-holes for bags at the ends of the carriages but typically aren't the right configuration for long bags. There's a tall section but usually there's a metal-barred shelf across the middle of it. This can be raised to provide a full height compartment but chances are it will already be laden with bags for which you'll have no alternative location.
For the better evolved side of the family, single ski bags do fit on the overhead racks but again, you may not find a clear space long enough by the time the train gets to Ashford.

There are proper baggage compartments in cars 9 and 10 (mid-train). I have often been directed there with my double-wheely ski bag.
Technically you need to request permission of the Train Manager to put stuff in them - mainly so they know to unlock it at the other end for you to get your stuff out. They don't guarantee these being available as they can occasionally have freighty sort of stuff in them but I've not yet experienced both compartments being unavailable.
snow conditions
@admin, oh well if the worst happens, we'll just have to leave the snowboard on the platform at Ashford wink

Thanks all for the hints and tips folks!
latest report
Can always fold your skis in half love... they do bend, right? Toofy Grin
latest report
As @admin says there's a baggage compartment in coaches 9/10 which used to have massive queues in the days of the proper Snow Train but you can have very confused looking train staff when you ask them to open it on a regular train.

It'll be good to know if it can still be accessed for free or if it needs to be paid for.
ski holidays
we'll investigate on Saturday
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, my parents will be on the train, they're pretty handy at entertaining kids. Plus we've got their luggage so plenty of room near them Laughing
snow report
@Boris, send them our apologies in advance for the chaos from two noisy little boys in Coach 1!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy