Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dont ever get a video of yourself skiing !

Poster: A snowHead
Shocked just seen a video of myself skiing in italy after supposedly changing my style after the knee break... And I ski like a chuffin plank.!! . Looks terrible, like stick man.... nothing like how i thought i skied .. Spoilt my illusion Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yorkshirelad wrote:
Shocked just seen a video of myself skiing in italy after supposedly changing my style after the knee break... And I ski like a chuffin plank.!! . Looks terrible, like stick man.... nothing like how i thought i skied .. Spoilt my illusion Sad

You need to post it here for a second opinion snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@yorkshirelad, lessons with video feedback are very valuable. wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@yorkshirelad, so long as you enjoyed yourself...who cares???
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree. Once I saw myself on a go pro, I seriously changed my opinion of my skiing ability for the worse!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
yorkshirelad wrote:

Could be worse, least it wasn't a sex tape.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I need cheering up @yorkshirelad, snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@cameronphillips2000, They never look the same when your sober Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
it looks like slow motion as well, no way i'm posting it... i've seen better 3 week skiers ...ive been at it 33 years..and it turns out im s**t at it lol
always thought i skied well and looked awesome Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@yorkshirelad, fear not, ive been with the wife 12 years, and im regularly told im s**t at it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PaulC1984 wrote:
@yorkshirelad, fear not, ive been with the wife 12 years, and im regularly told im s**t at it Toofy Grin

and me but who cares?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PaulC1984 wrote:

Enough about that. What about your skiing? Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Paul100, Well ive not seen a video of myself, so I can only go off what people said on the S11BB Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@yorkshirelad, I broke my ankle last autumn and when the season started I skied like a beginner (I've been skiing since I was 7 and i'm now in my early 50's) stick with it you'll get back there.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dear me - the illusion shattered Confused. What next - a video showing that Yorkshire is actually $h1t € ? Laughing
latest report
Wife and I got a private lesson/ off piste guiding in La Rosiere 2 years ago. One bit of off piste was so steep that when I stood side on too the piste my top leg was bent up so it was higher than my bottom knee (I would say about 60degrees). Had a a gopro which the instructor took off us and filmed us going down it (he skied it backwards). Couldn't wait to watch the video back, but was massively disappointed. It didn't look steep at all, my whole illusion of being an epic off piste fresh tracker was shattered!!
snow conditions
@stu330, given the unlikelihood of anyone skiing a 60 degree slope backwards filming clients, I'm hardly surprised.

And the unlikelihood of you skiing a 60 degree slope (of any length) in Europe snowHead
snow report
@stu330, it's always the same. I try to show the wife photos of some of the more epic faces I ski down, she just laughs and says they look flat. I can't wait until next year when we going skiing together for the first time! I'll have the go pro ready!
snow conditions
Think i will just film somebody else and claim its me !!
Smile NehNeh
ski holidays
@yorkshirelad, on a sex tape?! Bloody pervert Toofy Grin
snow report
@underanewname

The top was at least as steep as the harikari in mayrhofen (ie steepest thing I have ever done) and the instructor turned out to be a bit of a local legend.
I might have over egged the degrees, but it was bloody steep.
snow conditions
last time I had ski lessons was when I was 14, now close to 50. was always told I skied like a kid, which was an insult. Didn't believe it till I saw video..
considering getting lessons Smile
latest report
@stu330,
"Might have"? Very Happy

60 degrees is about the absolute limit of what snow sticks on. It is REALLY extreme. No one in the world skis it backwards. Seriously.
snow report
Alright, the point of my post was that I would consider myself a pretty good skier, and yet I was right on the edge of my ability and thought "I need to get a video of this, it's riddiculously steep". I then find my guide keen to video it for us which completely destroys our beliefs of what it is like.
But as you guys were their, and know how steep it was, why do I need to tell you?
ski holidays
Video always seems to flatten the slope and slow down the skier, sometimes being radically different from their perceptions of what they skied. However, it is an incredibly useful teaching tool and I'd hate to teach without it, even if there is often a bit of a shock when the client first sees themselves on the screen. At least the OP didn't cry when he saw his video. Had that happen to me once when I was teaching...
ski holidays
@rob@rar, I've seen your skiing...it's really not that bad Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@ALQ, Laughing
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Video always seems to flatten the slope and slow down the skier.. However, it is an incredibly useful teaching tool..
If you're in trees then video makes things look quicker than they actually are, but in the open it looks slower as you say.
Steepness is hard to convey in stills or in video. Bumps are particularly tricky.

I hired a video camera in the early 1980s for training purposes at our local dry slope. It was about the size of a briefcase, shoulder mounted and the batteries didn't last very long. We were riding rings around the local instructors, but even so the camera was hugely useful as a training aid. The problem back then was you could always tell what someone else was doing wrong, but you couldn't be sure what you were doing yourself. Oh yeah, and the camera cost a fortune to hire.

Now cameras are cheap and everywhere... perhaps that may result in a general improvement in standards..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

At least the OP didn't cry when he saw his video. Had that happen to me once when I was teaching...

Laughing I've always kept a stiff upper lip, but having been video'd skiing for the first time many years ago it's not a shock any more. On that occasion we were video'd from the waist down only as the boss of the ski school (Phil smith) believed in concentrating on what the legs and skis were doing. 6 of us all wore black salopettes and the instructor had no trouble picking out who was who. Incredibly useful, close up on the edge angles of the skis (never the same, in my case... Embarassed )
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Video always seems to flatten the slope and slow down the skier, sometimes being radically different from their perceptions of what they skied. However, it is an incredibly useful teaching tool and I'd hate to teach without it, even if there is often a bit of a shock when the client first sees themselves on the screen. At least the OP didn't cry when he saw his video. Had that happen to me once when I was teaching...

It's all about expectations. I have been pleasantly surprised how reasonable my skiing looks on video - it seems I feel far worse than I actually look! At least some of the time, anyway Embarassed
latest report
philwig wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Video always seems to flatten the slope and slow down the skier.. However, it is an incredibly useful teaching tool..
If you're in trees then video makes things look quicker than they actually are, but in the open it looks slower as you say.

Sorry to be as dim as ever - is video making things look slower and less steep than they actually are or just how they feel to the skier?
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Video always seems to flatten the slope

Wide angle lenses are the main culprit. Telephoto lenses are better at showing steepness but at the end of the day, photo and video is a 2D medium, so even tele lenses will flatten the pitch.
ski holidays
And as for speed, I shall always remember Nadenoodlee remarking on a bit of video of me at Hemel, skiing some little brush 'gates', with the immortal words, 'can anything that slow actually be called skiing?' Laughing I've always put the apparent slowness down to the photographer, either skimottaret or rob@rar, can't remember which, but there again... wink
ski holidays
Hurtle, Laughing she does come out with some gems, does our Nade.
ski holidays
@Hurtle, Laughing
snow report
Ah ok… with speed, I'm not sure I've noticed this phenomenon with filming other things but I've never really thought about it. I've only ever seen myself skiing on video once, and the instructor warned me beforehand not to be surprised if it looked slow… but it wasn't on a particularly steep slope (a "black" in St Gervais that is really not a black at all) and I was skiing slowly as it was my first season back after ACL reconstruction and I was concentrating very hard on a specific technical exercise, so I didn't think it looked particularly flatter/slower than I was expecting.

Before he showed me the video I said "oh don't worry I know I'm skiing like a granny" and he said "no, no, really, trust me, you don't ski like a granny"… it struck me afterwards what a ridiculous comment I'd made - the only granny I've skied with is Pam and the only video footage I've seen of self-identified "grannies" is that lovely heliskiing video posted by skilegs… I should have said "I wish I could ski like a granny!" Laughing
snow report
@miranda, I don't think I belong in the same sentence as those lovely "flying grannies". Did some cross-country this morning - felt more like a poorly coordinated giraffe. Have signed up for a course with ESF next week. Less than £5 an hour!
ski holidays
@pam w, won't derail the thread too much but would love to do that course too - not sure if next week is realistic for me though… will have a think!

ps - the flying grannies did look amazing but you are a very good skier too!
ski holidays
Chill factor today...played on my new skis and tried to ski with a modicom of style... It worked !! Kindly Informed once the witty comments died down that i dont know ski like a stickman Laughing
snow report
yorkshirelad wrote:
Chill factor today...played on my new skis and tried to ski with a modicom of style... It worked !! Kindly Informed once the witty comments died down that i dont know ski like a stickman Laughing

Pics/video or it didn't happen Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy