Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Discontinued Ski Boot Dilemma

Poster: A snowHead
So a few years back I decided to get some properly chosen and fitted boots, rather than just 'getting by'. Whilst on holiday in Tignes I went into Nevada Sports and got measured up. He picked a boot for me (Head Vector Evo 120), made me up an insole and the boots fitted perfectly well. Lovely.

A year later (after a lot of sports) the left boot didn't fit so well, so I had the boot cooked and very slightly reshaped. The bottom line is that these boots fit me like a second skin. I can wear them all day, every day, with no soreness, no pins and needles, nothing. The difference that made to my enjoyment of skiing is hard to express in mere words!

So, Head revamped their Vector line a year or so back and changed the fit (smaller last, or 50 less cc as they describe it). God knows why when the Vector is known as their medium fit boot, but they created a new boot with a 100mm last, which is all about light weight or whatever.

Now I my current boots have got many years left in them. No idea how many, but apart from cosmetic wear there is nothing wrong with them whatsoever. However, when browsing the internet the other day I saw a brand new old stock set of them at a blowout price (in fact the model above, the 130, which has - as well as extra stiffness which is adjustable back down to 120 - fancier spine buckles with a bit of give in them in order to wrap the shin more comfortably, and an improved power strap design).

So, will I be alright buying these and sticking them under my bed for 5 years (or however long) until my old boots have given up the ghost, or is there some reason why I shouldn't do that? Cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@greengriff, You could, but 5 years is a long time. Ski boots will continue to evolve, as (hopefully !) will your skiing. You may find in 5 years that your needs have changed. When you come to replace your boots there will be plenty of choice -- maybe not at a blowout price, but you will be able to get boots to fit. Hope that helps. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers. Do you think that there's much left in the way of development of ski boots? Have they changed much in even the last 20 years?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
But if they're an already superceded boot they could be potentially 8 or so years old by the time you wear them. I think mine, which I've just ditched after approaching 500 days of skiing, are the same 130 boot which I bought in 2014. I'd wait until the present ones need changing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@greengriff,
Quote:

Have they changed much in even the last 20 years?

Not much, but.. add the changes up, and yes enough to make it worth the wait.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fair enough.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@greengriff, ski boots get better and better in my opinion. Would be crazy to stock old boots. Would you buy a 2nd old car because you liked it?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Might be some issues with the plastics losing rigidity over time. I recognise the problem as Atomic Hawks have also evolved their boot series to 3 width options and the Prime (if memory serves correctly) is the mid option at roughly last size 100mm my Atomic Hawks boots were this size pre the range extension and this new size last despite being the same width no longer fits - magna too loose at the heels and ultra way too tight. So in essence this increased choice has meant the amazing fit I have enjoyed for years cannot be repeated - must have tried every ski boot on the market last summer, none were any good so my ancient 'hulk' atomic hawks must be worn to destruction!

Long story short, I wish I had two pairs of comfy boots....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH wrote:
@greengriff, ski boots get better and better in my opinion. Would be crazy to stock old boots. Would you buy a 2nd old car because you liked it?

Maybe, if the seats were comfy in a way that no others were, and I could get it really cheap and tuck it away somewhere.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowsartre wrote:
Might be some issues with the plastics losing rigidity over time. I recognise the problem as Atomic Hawks have also evolved their boot series to 3 width options and the Prime (if memory serves correctly) is the mid option at roughly last size 100mm my Atomic Hawks boots were this size pre the range extension and this new size last despite being the same width no longer fits - magna too loose at the heels and ultra way too tight. So in essence this increased choice has meant the amazing fit I have enjoyed for years cannot be repeated - must have tried every ski boot on the market last summer, none were any good so my ancient 'hulk' atomic hawks must be worn to destruction!

Long story short, I wish I had two pairs of comfy boots....

That was kind of my thinking, given that I'd never really had a truly comfortable boot before these ones. Maybe I'm just being paranoid/considering stupid purchases in lieu of actually skiing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
greengriff wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Maybe, if the seats were comfy in a way that no others were, and I could get it really cheap and tuck it away somewhere.

Yeah good point. Get 3 pairs
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lol. If they were available at the right price I might! However this is the only new pair I've seen for sale anywhere in my size. Whilst I'm sure there will be a boot available that fits in the future, I've got to balance that against the time and effort of finding it. How many shops to visit where the bootfitter picks you the best of what they've got, but it isn't quite right etc. It's never happened to me but I've read more than once of people spending big sums on boots and ending up not happy no matter how much tweaking the fitter does. Ho hum.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If they won't break the bank and you can store them so they won't deteriorate then why not. You could even use them in tandom with your current boots so you can get them fitting right before the others wear out
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The main reason these boots work for you is because they were properly fitted at the time - the next time you need to buy boots go to a good boot fitter and you should have the same result. It's not the boots that are important so much as who sells them to you.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@greengriff, IMO as a gear whore who buys new gear most years, it would be a terrible decision to buy boots now for potential use in 5 years. The boots I’m using now are better performing, lighter and more comfortable than anything I was using 5 years ago.
snow conditions
Thanks. I have no reference point for good fitting boots, so that's interesting to hear.
snow report
I know that @Kooky's Atomic Hawk Ultra piste boots in 110 are even lighter than her 10 year old pure touring boots Laughing Even talking liners, I got my third set for Atomic Redsters last winter and they had revamped them. The tongue is more supportive and stiffer and the lacing system holds your foot more securely. I found them much better for flexing my 6 year old boots. Boots that have double use as piste/freeride boots with touring capability have improved even more.
ski holidays
OK I'm convinced. I'm also going to use the phrase 'gear whore' as much as I can! Very Happy
snow report
I have sympathy. Changing boots is always an uneasy time for me. I can see the case for laying down a second pair if you are clocking 60+ days per season if you guess that shells are done at around 300 days.

I don't know the true answer as to when shells are done from an engineering perspective but I suspect many holiday skiers trade up before they "need" to for fit reasons before the shell is done.
ski holidays
Do you mean a new liner would suffice instead of a new boot? As a rule how many days skiing does a liner last?
ski holidays
Quote:

Do you mean a new liner would suffice instead of a new boot? As a rule how many days skiing does a liner last?

A liner won't suddenly wear out, it will just pack out over time. You'll find that you may need to fasten your boots tighter to accomodate.

A new liner will enliven old boots. I've done this myself....but... the shell does suffer wear and tear like the liner. Rivetted holes (where the clips are retained) will stretch over time, the sole will wear down, which may or may not be replaceable, the plastic itself will degrade - I've had cracks and splits develop in well used boots. Getting new liners is not cheap and you have to go through the complete fitting process again.

... and as you now know what the correct fit should feel like, there's no reason why when you feel the need you won't find it again.
snow report
Quote:

My standard liner had packed out and become loose enough to affect my skiing after about 100 days. New pair of zipfit liners and new heel and toe pieces for the soles of the boots and they're like new again.
latest report
I've just looked at the price of liners and they are about what I can get this new pair of boots for. Do replacement liners not have to be boot specific?
snow conditions
@greengriff,
Quote:

I've just looked at the price of liners and they are about what I can get this new pair of boots for. Do replacement liners not have to be boot specific?

Not for a specific boot no -- but there are liners suited to race boots, touring, telemark etc..
snow conditions
greengriff wrote:
Have they changed much in even the last 20 years?

ENORMOUSLY.
latest report
In what ways? Weight, performance, comfort? All of the above?
ski holidays
@greengriff,
Quote:

Pretty much
ski holidays
ski wrote:
@greengriff,
Quote:

Pretty much

in fairness, how you defining performance?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
greengriff wrote:

You missed out fit. THE most important in my opinion.
latest report
My liners are definitely done at around 100 days. Probably earlier if being strict.
snow conditions
greengriff wrote:

I had my last pair of Tecnica Magnums for 5 years and the liners were done. As I’ve wonky feet I would need the liners remolded and they probably will charge me god knows what in a ski shop for this so new boots seemed an easier and cheaper solution.

I’m probably skiing 40-50 days a season so I guess the liners were probably done long before that.
latest report
You can get the fancy intuition liners or other custom moulded ones if you want to spend the money, but you can equally find an unused set of new liners from other boots for much less cost. Many people never use the stock liners anyway. New liners from a recent boot are likely to be far better than the old liners anyway, and most can be "cooked" for a personalised fit . Doesn't have to be from the same brand /boot.
latest report
@greengriff
If you do buy them, and I don't see why not as it will give you some spare bits to cannibalize as well, it would be better to store them in a consistently cool place without natural light, so the ageing of the plastics is minimized. Five years is not so long. Engineering plastics, e.g. automotive, last way longer than that. With ski boots one factor the stated best-before 'design' life is based on is full seasons of use at high altitude levels of UV light and used at/stored in warm temperatures. Being stored at home in the dark and cool isn't like that. Being exposed to high ambient temperatures for long periods will do them in though. Perhaps an expert will be along sometime.
Not sure if keeping them e.g. in a plastic bag in a freezer works better, but it should, and I'll look into that.
If it looks like it will do, I'll edit this.
Another thing to consider, is that perhaps over several years, your feet will change. (Mine have.)
snow report
Quote:

some spare bits to cannibalize as well

@Fat George, what? how many days a year do you ski and what on earth are you doing to your boots?
ski holidays
Fat George wrote:
@greengriff

Another thing to consider, is that perhaps over several years, your feet will change. (Mine have.)

That is interesting. How have they changed?
snow report
@greengriff

- Bunions, so my feet are now significantly wider in the forefoot;
- More flexible ankles;
- Morton’s neuroma on one foot and a Ganglion cyst on instep on the other;

I used to have low-volume boots in a narrow last, which became agony. They were OK-ish when I first used them, but after my feet changed, their narrow low-volume last meant they were now too small to be stretched far enough to ease the pressures, or so I was told. They also became unsatisfactory over the instep: their conventional 2-piece clog-and-cuff design put too much pressure there, very painful when the flexing crushed the clog.

My present boots are a wider last, a better flex for me (I’m heavier now too), and they have more ‘volume’. They allow for the insole bits and pieces for the neuroma, and are the cabriolet design, which in my case doesn’t put such great pressures on the instep ganglion cyst when they are flexed. (I buy larger street shoes/boots and trainers a size larger now, too.)

These changes were over just a few years, I’d say.

@under a new name I got 12 weeks in season 2018/2019. To be fair I was thinking of liners and clips. Could have done with spare liners at one point. Broke a clip too. Maybe I’m just clumsy. Were one the type who breaks things sometimes or wears things out quickly, one might want to think of that. You’re right of course that if one is not the boot-thrashing type rolling eyes it’s not a real consideration at all.
snow report
Interesting, thank you. My left foot (but not my right, oddly!) changed after a year of hard gym work, leaving me with a nasty surprise when I put my previously perfectly fitting boot on on day 1 of my holiday, only to have a foot that was in utter agony within an hour. But a fitter baked the boot and perfection was restored. I hope my feet never change to the degree that yours have, but it's a great illustration of what can happen over a period of time, thank you.
latest report
@Fat George, hmmm. Liners one thing but after market liners better than OEM ones so spend yer money that way. Clips? free from any nice shop. Never had to replace clips, ever. Broken a binding or two however...
snow report
I use standard liners in my odd piste boots but with the Redsters I went straight to custom foam liners due to having a narrow ankle with a tendency to heel lift, even in a 98mm last. But... my old unused Atomic liners then fitted my Salomon off piste boots so I kept them and when the original liners packed in I replaced them with those... money saved Madeye-Smiley I usually manage to get about 120 days out of a liner before they pack down to the extent that I can't use them. I usually get 2.5 years out of my piste boot liners and 3 out of my off piste boots.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy