Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski base cleaning fluid, what substitutes it?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I don't have any cleaning fluid to clean my bases before I clean them. Is there something else I can use that will do just as well instead?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wax! Just wax them but scrape and brush it all off when hot. Cleaning or storage wax if you have it but any will do.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why do you want to clean them?

The only time I use any sort of cleaning fluid is to get rid of wax in areas that need repair - as otherwise the repair won't bond.

If your skis don't need repair, then just wax them again.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
RobW wrote:
...If your skis don't need repair, then just wax them again.

+1, but brush out the structure first with a stiff brush (preferably brass/bronze) so get rid of any debris etc.

If they do need to be cleaned (ie if the wax scrapings are dirty) then a hot scrape clean as described above is the solution.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RobW, I have two areas I need to fill. only about 2cm long each, but one is right through the base.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thecramps wrote:
@RobW, I have two areas I need to fill. only about 2cm long each, but one is right through the base.

If you're doing repairs then in a pinch you can use lemon juice to clean/degrease the damaged area.

Are you doing a welded repair? P-tex won't bond to the core of the ski, only to other p-tex, so you'll need to weld in a thin Metalgrip foundation layer on to the exposed core & then once cooled you can p-tex over the top.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@spyderjon, the area of exposed core is only about 3mm long by 1mm wide, so was just going to p-tex fill, unless you advise otherwise.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you degrease and abrade the surrounding p-tex well you should get a reasonable bond on a small repair like that, especially if the edges of the surrounding p-tex is steep. Undercutting the surrounding p-tex slightly to create a dovetail type joint will also help.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon, thanks for your advice. Much appreciated. I have some very fine shaped and curved wood carving chisels, one of those will do that easily.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you do wot Spyderjon says it'll be fine - he is "the man" for all things techie!!!!!!! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy