Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Sports Travel Insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Have just received Direct Travel winter sports travel insurance renewal for family of four, no changes to last year in circumstances other than one year older and shocked to see premium increase from £154 to £267!
Direct Travel cannot / will not explain why and I suspect it is the usual insurance industry business model of screw the loyal returning customer.

Which other companies would Snowheads recommend I try for a quote? I can't comment on what Direct Travel are like dealing with a claim as fortunately the need hasn't arisen

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've used Insure and Go for the last couple of years. They are on balance of what they offer v. price pretty competitive for longer stays e.g. 3 months. I presume yours is for annual cover but this has a limit of usually 21 days actual skiing which is not enough for our needs.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.mpibrokers.com/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another for MPI, as above - they sort us out ok.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends what you need. Snow card for me. Excellent claim handling
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you only want "normal" cover, then use a search engine to get a feel of prices, then dig into the detail to find a policy which suits your needs.

We've used click4quote for the last few years, although that went up to £237 this year for a family of 4 - but that is including 45-days skiing per year and full race cover.

Note that Insure & Go now seem to require you to wear a helmet.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@RobW, I hadn't see that about Insure and Go but I wear one anyway and have for years but it's interesting that it wasn't mentioned and I certainly didn't notice it in the small print.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have taken out Ski Club GB insurance (actually P J Hayman and Allianz) for the last 4 years, because I need Worldwide, Off piste, Touring and Heli-skiing cover. I had hoped it would be a dedicated ski insurance policy, but it seems it was just a standard policy with skiing tacked on the end. Fortunately I had not had to claim for anything serious, but this year the resort was closed for a day due to storm conditions. I last claimed for this years ago, so obtained a letter from the lift company giving the date and reason for closure.

Although the claim was only worth £30, this was the response. Is it standard now to have to disclose all banking and credit details? I will now be looking for a new insurer for next year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please ensure this is fully completed, signed and returned to us, together with the following documentation:

- Your original receipt/schedule of insurance premium payment from the issuing agent. This may be in the form of a holiday booking invoice, staff/leader number or, for internet bookings, an email.
- Tour Operators booking invoice or proof of travel and payment of trip.
- Holiday Itinerary
- The name of your bank and the type of current and credit card accounts you hold. This is needed for fraud prevention and potential recovery purposes only and your claim may be delayed if you do not provide these details on your claim form. Please also confirm whether you have any additional travel insurance with these bank accounts and/or credit cards. If you do, please specify your account number and sort code. These details will not be disclosed to any third party, other than the company you hold the account with.

For Piste Closure
- Written confirmation from the Holiday Representative or appropriate authority of the exact times and dates of closure together with the cause. This letter should also confirm what alternatives were arranged.
- Original receipts in respect of additional travel costs incurred in order to transfer to an alternative piste.

For Avalanche Cover
- Written confirmation from your holiday representative or other appropriate authority.
- Original receipts in respect of additional travel and accommodation costs incurred as a result of the above.

In order for us to handle your claim as quickly and efficiently as possible, it is necessary that you answer all questions and forward original documents. We suggest that you retain copies for your records.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did a new online quote with my existing insurers, when my quote went up, they refused to match it so I told them I would go elsewhere, then low and behold I got another offer matching the online new customer quote! Alwyas worth a try
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PowderAdict, good grief! Surprised they didn't want your inside leg measurement as well. OH has insurance through work so no idea of the company but we claimed for a day's lift closure. He just sent a covering letter to insurance company with details of our trip along with a signed letter from the lift company. Got a cheque for £50.00 (25 each) without quibbing. Your insurance company probably spends most of its profits on paperwork checks rolling eyes .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My dogtag sport plus cover seems to have increased to, might have to look at alternatives.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CaravanSkier wrote:
I did a new online quote with my existing insurers, when my quote went up, they refused to match it so I told them I would go elsewhere, then low and behold I got another offer matching the online new customer quote! Alwyas worth a try

I always switch on principle in this case. I don't want to encourage a company to play games like this by giving them my money.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can totally see your logic there!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@raggerty, Lloyds TSB have good travel insurance and they're cheap
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@maggi, The last time I claimed, all it needed was the covering letter and proof of lift pass. You will note that the only thing not requested was proof I had a bought a lift pass! I cancelled the claim, as I wasn't going to give them all my financial details for £30.

I had assumed that the Ski Club GB was a snow sports biased insurer, but it turns out it a general one, hence the anti fraud questions. When I contacted Ski Club GB insurance, their response was "We are only the agents". I will be looking for a new company for next season.
snow conditions
PowderAdict wrote:
the anti fraud questions

If you're only claiming £30 you're a rubbish fraudster! Laughing

I avoid the SCGB on principle. Little Angel
snow conditions
Regarding 'Insure and Go' requiring the wearing of helmets. I queried this with Customer Services and received the follwing reply ---

"....Thank you for contacting InsureandGo Insurance services Ltd. We can confirm ‘You must always adopt and follow the appropriate and recommended safety precautions when undertaking any winter sport activity inclusive of, but not limited to, the wearing of a safety helmet.’

This means if the resort you are staying at requires you to wear a safety helmet then your policy will not cover you unless you follow this advice...."

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 1-03-15 23:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@albob, If that is correct then IMO that is a massive climbdown by I&G. I suspect that this phrase may quietly disappear from the T&Cs in the near future.
latest report
Just renewed my policy with TGIC never had any issues with claims £106 for 3 of us.
ski holidays
albob wrote:
"....Thank you for contacting InsureandGo Insurance services Ltd. We can confirm ‘You must always adopt and follow the appropriate and recommended safety precautions when undertaking any winter sport activity inclusive of, but not limited to, the wearing of a safety helmet.’ This means if the resort you are staying at requires you to wear a safety helmet then your policy will not cover you unless you follow this advice...."

Does it? 'recommended' by whom? David Goldsmith? Michael Schumacher? The Ski Manufactures Helmet Safety Association (SMASH)? Sounds to me like they've deliberately worded it vaguely to give them selves plenty of wriggle room.

I'd give them a miss - you can smell their attitude from here
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy