Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help planing first ski Holliday for me and my girlfriend?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello me and my gf are thinking of planing either a ski or snowboarding holiday about january the 13th 2013 for a week.

I'm looking for a little advice. I have done snowboarding when I was at school and my gf has never done either we are both 23.

We're would you recommend for beginners we were thinking some were like france or Andorra?

We were hoping to get a package including flights and some lessons with snowboard or ski hire.

Is our budget of round about £500-£600 about right or are we being silly?

Complete novices so really appreciate advice we were hoping to fly from the north of England.

Thanks for any help Phil.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was in the exact sitaution you are about 4-5 years ago (even the North of England part!)

We were dead set on France, due to family reasons, and 3 valleys. We found the Meribel Valley great for beginners skiing. The expensive part was the lessons. I tried lesson at Xscape before we went out but really wasn't happy with the standard. Personally, I think its worth spending a little more and get some quality time with a resident teacher once you are out there. However, £500-600 is very ambitious for the area we were in (barring a great last minute deal)

I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you a far more comprehensive answer..!

~Mac
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hello Phil5589, when you say between £500-600, is that each? That's still really low unless you went to Bulgaria for your first time. In Bulgaria you could get everything for that price, flight, transfer, accommodation, lift pass, ski hire and lessons. Anywhere else in Europe and you would struggle. Personally I would spend more and go to Europe.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Phil5589, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Your budget is definitely too low for Meribel, but I wouldn't recommend that anyway!

The most likely way of finding something near your budget is to look at the holidays offered by Action Outdoors, using UCPA centres in France. Some are "dorm" style but a few have double rooms. They offer all-inclusive holidays including your gear and instruction and all meals (not half board). Will still be a wee bit above your budget though. I would ring Action Outdoors and see what they have to offer.

Another idea is to look at the "learn to snowboard" holidays offered by big tour operators such as Crystal. They are only suitable for complete beginners though - and you might find it all comes back to you quickly and you need to be in a different class.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeh I was looking at about £5-600 each
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Phil5589, You are planning the holiday at just about the low point of the ski season as far as supply/demand ratio goes. You will almost certainly be able to pick up a heavily discounted package very cheaply shortly before you go. This has the added advantage of knowing where the snow is best.
If there are just the two of you it is very easy to do, the only real downside is that flightrs from the smaller regional airports sometimes sell out and you may have to travel a bit further, but on you r budget it is a bit of a no brainer, other wise you will be very constrained.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I was your age (woop - first time of official usage!) my BF and I went to Andorra - Arinsal, had a great deal, great ski school and met lots of couples of a similar age that we are still friends with today. Every time I have used the Arinsal Ski school (for skiing and boarding) they have been great - and the tour operators that go there offer some great deals. It is a long transfer (3-4 hours) but worth it when the alternative is Bulgaria.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Phil5589, I agree with T-Bar, I saw alot of deals going to Austria within your price range on late deals around December last year. Since your beginners, places like Soll (where I started and loved) and Niederau (heard its a beautiful area) are an ideal starting point for you. Keep an eye on the snow reports and you can't go far wrong! wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last year Crystal had deals to Rauris Austria. Priced it up for a friend and a complete deal (flight, transfer, hotel half board, learn to ski package incl. Tuition equipment and lift pass) for two came in at about £1120 in early January. Which left £80 for insurance and parking. Not looked this year though and your mileage may vary!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would recommend a chalet holiday where you get well fed and watered all in the cost. I would also suggest Austria, it's pretty and a bit cheaper than France.

The low season week you mention should have plenty of deeply discounted offers available from around Xmas if you can keep your nerve.

Try and make as much progress in the UK as you can and don't necessarily expect to enjoy that much. It will make a huge difference to your progress and enjoyment if you arrive reasonably in shape.

Be aware that skiing is both highly addictive and expensive, be prepared to get hooked.

I have used these people in the past for late deals, there are others.
http://www.alpineanswers.co.

You will need to budget for ski hire, passes and tuition which can add up to £300/400 on top of your basic holiday cost.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would also agree with jbob, catered chalet holiday is the way to go. Then you pretty much have nothing to worry about, good chalet companies will sort out lessons, ski hire and passes. Also Jan is always the time that chalet companies find hard to sell weeks, so you could bag a deal. As for ski lessons if you budget can stretch go for private, yes they do tend to be more expensive but you will learn at a quicker rate.

Three valleys is great but this will stretch your budget, Especially Meribel, but thats not to say you could'nt stay in one of the cheaper resorts Meribel les Allues, Le Menuires, you still get to ski the Three Valleys but will pay that little less.

Portes du Soleil is also great for beginners and you can always get a deal here, St Jean dulps or Chatel you will find will be the cheaper of the 12 resorts with in the Portes Du Soleil

Also La Rossiere offers great value for money,

You could try

http://www.thesnowtraveller.com/snowlutions/

Just add your details and chalet owners will get back to you via the forum with there best deals, tell them what you are looking for and you budget and see what comes back.

Good luck
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

As for ski lessons if you budget can stretch go for private, yes they do tend to be more expensive but you will learn at a quicker rate.

not sure I agree. With other beginners in a group you could have a really good time. And be in different classes if necessary. The GF won't be too happy if you are both with a private instructor and she's struggling compared to you.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes you could be right Pam, but he has not done any snowboarding this he was at school so to me he would have to learn the basics as well, having joint lessons could mean that after there lesson has finished they could both pratice what they have learnt together. If not he might have a intermediate lesson and the GF would be left behind this way they both get the lesson from the same instructor and there would be know " well my instructor says " but this is my view and I would not knock ski school lessons, they can also be fun.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Your budget is too low. We use skiworld on a regular basis and find them very competitive. Basic price would be £535 for chalet board. Lessons, ski hire would be extra. They are offering buy one get one half price for ski passes.

That being said, we have booked new year, all in (accommodation, chalet board, ski or ski carriedge and ski pass) £1000 per head.

You could take the risk and try Romania or Bulgaria - tried that myself to save money. It was cheap, but facilities were very basic, also distinct lack of quality health care. When my son hurt his wrist the hotel called out their doctor. He diagnosed a fracture . My wife (a nurse) proved it was not broken. His treatment was a potassium permanganate soaked bandage!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think your budget is very, very low.

Probably do-able excluding lessons, and booking super last min for a cheap Jan week and staying somewhere a bit rubbish.

To be honest, I always thing a grand per person is about the minimum to have a nice holiday including travel, average chalet accommodation in a decent french resort, ski hire, lift pass, beers and lunch on the slopes. Lessons would be extra.

I would not recomend 3V to you, as the lift pass for that is something like €240 and you will not get value ofr money out of that as a beginner.
ski holidays
Try Andorra, high, tax free more likely bargain, excellent for beginners
snow report
kat.ryb,
As beginners they won't need a 3V lift pass. The first day or so they probably won't need anything, then at most they would need a local area pass which is quite a bit cheaper. It's been a while since I have been to the 3V - do they do an Austrian style points card there?

That aside, I agree that £600 won't get you much of a holiday outside Bulgaria. With equipment hire & lessons you would be looking nearer £800+ for anything reasonable
snow conditions
Cynic,

Andorra looks much better there now resorts are getting linked up & the lifts improved. It's seems loads better than when I last went. Is it still infested with drunken British boarders?
latest report
Quote:

Is it still infested with drunken British boarders

Not like 3V, EK and PDS at all then!? Laughing
snow report
musher, Dont know Andorra for years, went there to pass exam not been back, but it seemed a very good area for what the poster wanted. Everywhere is infested with the wrong sort of people I blame the cheap airfares Cool
ski holidays
Phil5589, Can you go at the very end of the season? When trips to La Tania and Mirabelle were going for £299 catered chalet, including flight last year, this would fit your budget but you would have to like skiing slush!
snow report
Phil5589, we've managed 2 ski trips in Easter school holiday's over the last few years at less than £600 per person, so I'm sure you'll find something in January when it's usually cheaper anyway. Granted there were three of us and one of those people was a child, but child discounts are tiny. Our trip last Easter was slightly more than £600, but it was marginal (and included beer, wine and soft drinks in the hotel from 4pm-10.30pm).

One was to Andorra staying in Pas de la Casa half board, the other was Les Arcs chalet. Both of those included lift pass and ski hire, the Andorra one even included tuition.

If you are on a budget I'd probably avoid France (I'm not a hater!), drinks and lunches cost a fair amount more in most French resorts than they do in Andorra, Italy and Austria.
snow report
Our very first holiday, 9 beginners Shocked was in Kaprun, Austria with Crystal, it was brilliant, catered chalet, learn to ski package including skis and boots £500pp we just had to pay for lift passes on top. It was peak season at Easter, we all had excellent instructors, ski school is all day in Austria, it was by far the best value ski holiday, a lot of people knock the tour operators, but if you are on a budget (we always are) they are hard to beat. We have done self drive, apartments, half board hotels and chalets, I prefer either drive and self cater or tour operator catered chalet, good luck, you will love it wherever you go I'm sure Very Happy
latest report
Phil5589, Look at Risoul/ Vars, was there in the 90's and really liked it. Think we flew to Lyon or Grenoble, but GVA should work.
ski holidays
I got a Neilson brochure today. They are offering a week in Andorra in January for £400, including flights, transfers, SC accommodation, equipment hire and lift pass. Only missing the tuition.
ski holidays
That would be an incredible price - if you did a bit of planning about food, and what you could take with you (plenty of room in your luggage allowance if you don't have to carry ski boots) you could self cater for a week without it breaking the bank.

Though it looks as if those packages are not yet available, and when they are, they are probably only that price if you cram 6 people into a teeny apartment. wink
ski holidays
pam w,

It says the offer ends in November so presumably they areavailable now. The £400 deal would be a saving of about £70 on the brochure price for the holiday & hire + local pass. Other than the end date is I can't see a mention any other limits on available places etc. They are doing similar deals all over Europe (the package, not the price); Andorra, Austria, Bulgaria, France and Italy. I think you have to contact them for price / details. The £400 in Andorra is just the headline advert for the deal.
ski holidays
Quote:

Personally I would spend more and go to Europe.

Has Bulgaria moved? Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for waiting and booking the week before, if there's only 2 of you at that time of year you should be able to get something reasonable and possibly at a massive discount. If you've not skied before you don't need a huge resort with the accompanying high price for the lift pass - check out the resorts on the WTSS website or borrow someone's book! If you can get a chalet deal all the better, as wine will probably be thrown in too.
Rocket ski do some value deals - have a look at them, they don't do luxurious but the places we've been to with them have been in a good position for the slopes, with reasonable food and accommodation considering what we paid and helpful resort reps which can be useful if you've not been before.
latest report
i too need advice, i'm an intermediate snowboarder and my girlfriend is new to skiing. shes had the 5 beginner lessons at xscape castleford. Should we get lessons while we are on holiday? i dont really want to go off on my own while she has lessons in the morning though...... :-/.
snow report
@Paul F, Welcome to snowHead Yes, your girlfriend should get lessons. Being in the relatively controlled indoor environment of a snowdome with an instructor is totally different to being deposited on the side of an actual mountain, with added weather and a partner who's not even riding the same type of planks! Will probably put her off for life Shocked Much better to ease her into it gently, with the assistance of someone who knows what they're doing.

Why not get some lessons yourself at the same time? Then you can meet up for lunch and spend the afternoon together.
snow conditions
Quote:

Why not get some lessons yourself at the same time? Then you can meet up for lunch and spend the afternoon together.

+1
ski holidays
@Paul F
Welcome to snowheads.
IMO always works best if you GF can learn to ski with someone she knows, Any other friends going?
Yes get some in resort lesson , if not for a full week, at least for a couple of days (5 beginner lessons isn't enough for her to be cut loose on the piste).

Don't worry about yourself, focus on ensuring that your GF has a good time, and that she is comfortable with the environment etc.
snow report
Definitely get her lessons. With you on a snowbaord you are also far less well equipped to pick her up and help her. If you don't already ski, why not learn together? If you do, then why not spend the week away from the dark side and revert to skis? Either way, do yourself and your relationship a favour and get her lessons. Doesn't have to be all day, but def mornings.
snow conditions
@Bob,
+1
@Paul F Definitely get lessons. If you can afford it get some private tuition. It is important your GF enjoys the holiday to ensure future trips away. You need to be patient in the afternoons and work with her to implement what she has been taught.
latest report
Good luck with going sking with the GF. First time that I did that, the GF of the time knocked me over while getting off a tee bar and the next guy up skied over my forehead. The red ice was still there several days afterwards. Strangely she was not the GF when I went sking the following year Smile
ski holidays
A great thing to do together, but do get her some instruction. If she doesn't fancy ski school then get her in a couple of private lessons at least. Don't make the mistake of dragging her to the top of a slope that scares the bejeezus out of her. It may look gentle to you, but it may be a relationship ending steepness to her.
snow conditions
@Paul F,
Welcome to snowHead and have a great holiday .
If you forget about lessons and teach her yourself or just show her the way you will save a lot of money and discover whether or not you are right for each other.
ski holidays
Get her a female instructor. A male one will likely tempt her to venture 'off piste'
latest report
T Bar wrote:
@Paul F,
Welcome to snowHead and have a great holiday .
If you forget about lessons and teach her yourself or just show her the way you will save a lot of money and discover whether or not you are right for each other.

NO.

Get an instructor.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy