Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help choosing a resort for my wife to re-learn skiing!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

This is a request for help in selecting a resort in which I can get my 50 something wife back on her ski legs. Now I have to be clear, she has only skied for three weeks in total and the last time was twenty years ago. NO MATTER! She's going to get back into it. The best bit is that we are holidaying together - something that we haven't done for years due to work commitments. The result has been that I have skied for several more weeks than her and now I can handle reds and a few blacks with moguls.

I have promised to help her get going again but without necessarily pushing her into ski school - unless I can be sure that she gets enough attention and hopefully in English. I have also promised that I will help her and I won't ski off on my own. I need to be sure that she has a nice memorable experience so that skiing becomes a habit.

We are happy to self-cater. The question is, where should we go? I am familiar with quite a few resorts in France but no where else in Europe. I was wondering about Austria but it's mainly B&B unless it is HB. Hoping for a resort with plenty of beginner and progressive slopes from that. I don't want her to have a sense of humour failure so the first few days need to be sheltered, quality snow and easy access from the lifts. Nothing too busy and no need for late night après.

We are flexible on dates - could even manage 10 days or a fortnight - not necessarily skiing every day. It would make the chance of finding the ski legs that bit easier maybe.

Finally she is very fit - not in a running marathon way but she handles the intensive cardio Gym stuff like Metafit sessions etc.

Can anyone help my think this through?!! Thanks if you can Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Of the resorts I've been to (not many), Soldeu would fit the bill in many ways. Good, English-speaking instructors. Easy pistes. Generally good weather. Risoul in France is also good for beginners. Lots of green and blue runs. Bit pot luck on instructor's language ability, if you do not speak French. Generally sunnier than most resorts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was in this position or worse 3 years ago, in that I was going skiing again after a 20 year+ gap when I had said I was NEVER going to ski again. I spent ages scouring the net and books for appropriate resorts with extensive easy areas, etc.

3 years down the line I am totally hooked on skiing, and I know that the resort was not really important. The only thing that really mattered was finding an instructor who would work one to one and could give me confidence in myself. For me that meant focus on really understanding technique and feeling in control (I don't do out of control.....). I skied with several good instructors, but Lynne Stainbrook in Flaine stands out. He's a native English speaker, which I found made a huge difference. And he is all about technique, which becomes even more important for safety and comfort when you're 50 something, as I am.

Flaine has loads of self catering accom, not much in the way of night life, and is easily accessible from Geneva.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We love Are in Sweden, plenty of easy terrain, English spoken everywhere, ski school very good either group or private lessons. If you DIY flights to Trondheim then use skistar (google skistar Sweden) to book transfers/apartment/lessons/pass/equipment you can get some very good deals either sun/sun or for weekends. Unless you are big spirit drinkers when you are out and about in bars or restaurants (there is an off license or "system bolaget" in central Are similar priced to UK) then the costs compare favourably with French resorts and are much cheaper than the Swiss.
Cheapest deals tend to be in the area of Duved which is very quiet both in terms of noise and people but if wild après isn't your thing this won't bother you at all. The main supermarket is in central Are a short (free) bus ride away but there is a well stocked mini mart locally. You can book lessons in Duved or in other areas of Are. If you decide to go there I would consider booking a lesson in each area so that you can both explore all of it and you cans stretch your legs on some of the reds and blacks whilst she's being kept busy on the many green/blue runs.
Your lift pass includes use of the ski bus which enables even a total beginner access to most of the 100km of runs spread along a lake. Lift queues are rare and even half term it doesn't get that busy in Duved.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I tried this with my wife and failed miserably. In all honesty, she hates flying, cold, heights, mountains ans skiing so it was always going to be a tall order.
Of resorts I've taken he to, the one where she complained least in was Risoul. She vowed never to go skiing again three years ago but is slowly coming around to the delights and easy skiing of Megeve....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wife is still a bit reluctant, but got us booked in La Tania as the 3 valleys is vast for easy runs that will be ideal after she has come out of her lessons. So many ski schools to mention, and majority are English speaking. Let you know at the end of March if it comes off!! Shock
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Peaklander, what was her experience of skiing previously like. Did she attend ski school, did she enjoy it? Did she get to a reasonable standard?

A smaller French resort just after the half term hols sounds like it would suit pretty well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hello all - a sneaky reply as I'm at work... thank you all so much (so far). It's great advice.

Her (our) first week ever was in La Rosière in about 1996 and she was very hesitant and had a very un-sympathetic female ESF instructor. A couple of years later we did back-to-back weeks in Jasper and L.Louise, and she had a great week of lessons at Jasper. Then work took over and nothing since, as I said. Looking back, she was parallel skiing and properly planting her pole to do the turns etc. However she isn't every going to be "pushing" herself. She will be a sedate skier and will not be looking to overcome then next challenge, whether it's a narrow red, a steep start or a few bumps.

I think the best I can hope for is good control on scenic runs with plenty of time to look at the scenery too!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good luck. Hope it goes well. My only advice is never try and teach your wife how to ski.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@cameronphillips2000, +1
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you really want your wife to enjoy skiing book a holiday in a ski resort with a very well respected ski school which teaches small group lessons. Do not teach her to ski yourself, she will have far more fun and gain far more confidence skiing with people of a similar ability where she doesn't feel she is holding them up. If she is like 90% of people she will also be far more likely to listen to and try to do what a ski instructor tells her than anything you might suggest, no matter how well intentioned your suggestions are. Half day lessons might work well, then you could ski together in the afternoons on slopes she has already visited with her ski class and is happy to ski down.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I faced a similar situation and found Alps d'Huez ideal. The nursery slopes are convenient, only get steeper gradually and after a couple of days progress can be accessed by telecabin (Mrs WS has an aversion to chairs Sad . Your lift pass also gives access to the heated open air pool. My wife had lessons in the morning while I enjoyed myself and I skied with her in the afternoons - this was years ago and we're still married (and talking).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megeve was mentioned above. You could do a lot worse, but make sure she has lessons. BASS Megeve would be ideal - they do small groups. their private lessons are very expensive though. If you feel one to one would be better (and if you like ski in/out accommodation, or close to it), you could try Les Saisies. A bit further to drive but private lessons are far cheaper and I could recommend a good instructor. Scenic and gentle slopes a-plenty. But avoid the French holidays (4 weeks from 7 February).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well thank you to everyone. I'm amazed at how quickly the replies came through. What good advice too - especially "don't try to be a ski instructor yourself"! I'd better take heed of that.
Flaine, Risoul, l'Alpe d'Huez, Åre, Soldeu, La Tania, Mègeve - places I've heard of but not been to for skiing, so we can do our research with more focus. The advice regarding ski school makes a lot of sense and I'm inclined to change my mind about that. I'm heartened to hear that there's not been any marital breakdowns... Laughing Having spoken on the phone and shared this thread with her (I'm away for work again), we are also considering Finland...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Personal opinion of course, but I would not recommend La Tania, the blue back into resort would be red anywhere else, its just that apart from the narrow green its the only way to ski back. Although I did not ski it that green was deemed horrid in the poor snow conditions towards the end of the New Year week, skied out and icy! Not the best resort to build confidence by any means. All the beginners and more nervous skier we met that week chose to ski in Courchevel by the end of the week. Either driving or taking the ski bus!

I liked Megeve for plenty of easy skiing, and I do not remember thinking badly of either Flaine (except for the ugly architecture) or of Alpe D'Huez. I don`t know the other resorts you have in your list. Hope you have fun, wherever you choose will be easier skiing in good snow conditions!
snow conditions
I see that Niederau has not been mentioned yet. My other half and I had our first ever week of skis there last year and I cannot recommend the ski school highly enough. 5 days, 4 hours per day with a small cheerful group and an absolutely excellent instructor. Cheap half board deals from the UK too. Check out the "weather in niederau" thread for other people saying the same thing. Only one caveat, it isn't that high so I think we were lucky to get the snow we needed on the baby slopes when we were there so avoid the start of the season. (we are going back there in two weeks so fingers crossed for snow!)
ski holidays
Quote:

Check out the "weather in niederau" thread

Carolyn, on that thread, is an instructor who I'm sure would be an excellent choice.
snow conditions
1. Don't try to teach her yourself
2. Go later in the season when days will be longer and weather warmer
3. Go high (since the snow will be 'softer' lower down at that time of year, especially in the mornings) - unless you accept that the snow will be better in the mornings and if she (not you) wants to relax in the sunshine in the afternoons
4. Go somewhere pretty
5. Go at her pace
snow conditions
Quote:

the snow will be 'softer' lower down at that time of year, especially in the mornings

Puzzled softer in the afternoons, maybe, but so much depends on aspect.

No need to "relax in the sunshine" in the afternoons, even if your OH has had enough skiing. She is very fit, by the sound of it and might well enjoy walking, maybe with snowshoes. Most resorts have good options for pedestrians.

One way to help the less fanatical to enjoy a ski holiday is to make it a winter mountain holiday. It doesn't have to be all about the skiing.
snow report
As a 50-something myself I'd go for:
Somewhere pretty.
A bit later in the season for warmth and light, BUT...
Don't go high - this adds to the body stress.
Somewhere small - less intimidating and less likely to have kids huhneing about.

http://albiez.fr/ should fit the bill.
snow report
@altis, looks charming. Have you been?
ski holidays
We keep going back because it is so charming - even at half-term:

Sorry about the huge border.

Our most recent visit was less than a fortnight ago but the snow was thin:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=115764
snow report
I learnt in Lake Louise/Sunshine if you fancy going further afield. Plenty to do if you fancy days off, slopes are invariably groomed to within an inch of their life, always a green back to base and lastly some great instructors. We've used Club Ski a few times (for me) and more latterly for our kids. Class sizes are small (there were 3 in my kids group in total!)
ski holidays
Somewhere in Italy (esp. the Dolomites), where most of the pistes are groomed to perfection, the blue runs are like greens, the reds are like blues, the sun shines a lot, the restaurants serve great food and the people are friendly, she'll enjoy the holiday even if she doesn't ski a lot.
snow conditions
@Peaklander, have a look at hockfugen in the zillertall valley , perfect small resort with a great progression from very easy nursery slopes to gentle tree lined blues with no exposure , a snowhead "sarahJ instructs there and would be the ideal person to bring your wife up to speed
latest report
As I said elsewhere, we'd go back to Banff/Louise in a blink. The service culture helps I think, and I loved their way of splitting group lessons into 8 levels rather than the 3 that the ESF did. But I have no experience of Austria or Switzerland.
snow conditions
So good to hear that about Lake Louise and Sunshine, @bagginsmum, and@Orange200. We've had family over from the UK the last couple of Christmases--all of them beginners. They took lessons at Sunshine. I've always wondered if there might actually be more beginner friendly resorts in Europe and whether I should have suggested my crew learn there. That said, I learnt here and never looked back. Good to know others rate the experience here too.
snow conditions
IMHO don't worry about the resort, concentrate on a very good ski school.

These are British companies I've had good experiences with

Val disere http://www.tdcski.com/val_disere/
Morzine http://www.britishskischool.com/BASS_Resorts/Morzine
Meribel http://www.skimarmalade.com/

She has to do ski school in my view, perhaps only mornings then you can ski together in the afternoons?

Also where do you live, as inside out may work for her, if she can make their cliincs beforehand ?

http://insideoutskiing.com/inside.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
why not get your wife to register as a Snowhead, @Peaklander, so she can participate in this discussion herself?
snow report
I have just been to a place called Kappl in Austria, the slopes are long and wide, and very uncrowded, less people will give her confidence as she will have less people to run into her. The town is close to ischgl so if she feels confident she can go there for a day or so and enjoy long cruising blues or perhaps an odd red depending on how fast she gets back to her ski legs. Remember the skis now are a lot easier to do things with than the long straights she probably had 20 years ago, so she will find it easier to turn them,. Self catering in Austria is great the apartments are well set out and you don't feel like a sardine.
snow report
Quote:

This....
snow report
tessaventer wrote:
Somewhere in Italy (esp. the Dolomites), where most of the pistes are groomed to perfection, the blue runs are like greens, the reds are like blues, the sun shines a lot, the restaurants serve great food and the people are friendly, she'll enjoy the holiday even if she doesn't ski a lot.

+1

Would recommend Brenta Dolomites too - Madonna di Campiglio. Pretty town, benign skiing and some really nice, easily accessible mountain restaurants.
latest report
How about one on one instruction, not ski school? and maybe you could join the lessons?
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

This....
Not sure, In my opinion, if they pick a quieter resort, they can then book a one on one ski instructor, ( which is expensive but as an adult I am sure she would prefer it) so that would immediately eliminate a ski school. . A quiet resort will allow practice at her own pace without the worry of other tools running into her. Ski schools also are different in each country what exactly makes a good one? I think adults if they have skied before are better with a private lesson, and the poster himself hasn't skied in a while so perhaps they could have an instructor for the two of them?
latest report
Quote:

if they pick a quieter resort, they can then book a one on one ski instructor, ( which is expensive but as an adult I am sure she would prefer it) so that would immediately eliminate a ski school.

You can book a private lesson at any resort and IME the quality of the ski school is still relevant. I had a private lesson with the ESF in Les Saisies which was awful. I wanted to learn to ski powder and I asked for an instructor who could speak English. He spoke beautiful English but was a hopeless instructor - just did a demo (beautifully) down a pitch which was far too steep for me (actually it was a drag lift track but although the lift was running there was practically nobody on it - the whole thing was smothered in snow). No technical explanations of what to do, and no putting that into practice on a much easier pitch, which was what I needed.

I have had other much better (and very cheap) private lessons in my resort and I know a couple of the instructors, and like them, but still nothing like as good as lessons I have had with BASS, Charlotte Swift etc, who really go into details in fluent English and can give you another type of explanation if you don't "get it".

I agree some resorts are better matched to the OP's requirements than others. But any resort with the exact right instructor is going to be better than the resort with the right slopes, and the right bars, but without top quality guidance/instruction.
latest report
usually the follow my tracks works though pam, skiing powder has very little technical advice, it is a matter of your keeping your tips up, keeping your turns linked and away you go, practice is better than lots and lots of advice, just do it. I learned to ski from an ex Russian soldier , I wouldn't recommend it for a lot of folks I see here, but you know I learned ice, powder and how not to whinge very early in the week. ( I was looking for leg breaks) after him anything was do able. Laughing. I think follow my tracks do as I do is an excellent way of learning but you must do what they do.
latest report
Agree with all of the above. As to resorts, try Courchevel 1650 (or Courchevel Moriond as it is now officially called). English speaking ski school Ski New Generation have a base there. There are loads of good wide gentle slopes above the village which are bound to increase confidence. Am sure you can t a self catering apartment there. Alternatively, I know Ski Olympic and other chalet companies have some properties there if chalet style is your thing. On the plus side, a chalet may give you some fellow skiers to hang out with while your wife is having lessons.
snow report
Yes, Courchevel 1650 would be a good choice.
ski holidays
What about somewhere in the states or, as others have said, Canada? Quality teaching, no language barriers, and great resort infrastructure on the whole.
latest report
How about going North?

We have just been staying in Beitostølen in Norway. The Downhill skiing there seems ideal for beginners and the less confident. It's a small quiet resort. The ski school has good reviews and most will speak excellent English. The slopes were in prime condition and just across the car park. The only lift queues were on Sunday when there was free skiing. Even then only a couple of people in the line. Avoid Norwegian ski weeks as they will be busier. The beginner with us had a whale of a time practising on her own personal pistes. She had a cross-country lesson with us on the Sunday to avoid having to share the slopes.

There's a choice of accommodation including self-catering, but you or your wife might prefer a break from cooking. We stayed in the Radisson which which did first-rate food and also has a spa and huge gym and swimming-pool.

If you want to know anymore, ask away and I will help if I can.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy