Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How did you discover snowHeads?

How did you find snowHeads?
Another snowHead told me about the site
20%
 20%  [ 20 ]
I clicked a link on another site (not a news story)
14%
 14%  [ 14 ]
I saw a news story on another site and clicked a link
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
I was using a search engine (which one?) and saw a snowHeads reference
23%
 23%  [ 23 ]
I can't remember
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
I can remember but I'm not telling you
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Other (please specify)
30%
 30%  [ 29 ]
Voted : 94
Total Votes : 96

Poster: A snowHead
With well over 1000 members now it would be interesting to know how everyone discovered this little neck of the snows.

Another question - not on the poll - snowHeads has grown somewhat organically up to now. Is that the best way, or should we 'artificially' stimulate the growth of the community?

And one other thing - how big should snowHeads be?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On the Ski Club site, when everyone disappeared!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used Google - straight here! snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Someone told me about snowHeads on the newsgroup rec.skiing.resorts.europe after I posted about Skiboard.com - I was desperately looking for an alternative to the SCGB forum. Thanks to whoever it was!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowbunny, welcome to your new home snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had an email from Ian Hopkinson via Laura Z from the SCGB address list.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not a SCGB member, I saw the 'demise' of their forum discussed on usenet - rec.skiing.resorts.europe - with a mention of both Alan Cragg's alternative forum, and snowHeads. SnowHeads had gathered a little more momentum, so I ended up here.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Meister Jäger, I think you put me onto snowHeads posting on a 'rival' forum set up after MO day but which sadly did not take off.
Quote:

And one other thing - how big should snowHeads be?

Well it's clearly already self-sustaining as an active forum but presumably the bigger the better as a source of income for the Management. However as the posting rate increases it really does get difficult to keep on top of the new stuff.

Welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead snowbunny
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Found out by people taking about snowheads on SCGB site put snoehead into google and the rest is history as they say.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Same as Russell.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Russell, hope they were being nice about us! Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Received email from Laura on SCGB !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
After members only day at the ski club of greater brentford I hung around Meister Jäger's site - skiboard.com - for a day or two, then someone on there posted about this site and I popped in for a nosey.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc gledhill, I can't claim any responsibility for skiboard.com. I just found it myself when looking for a "new home". I think the founder was someone called Marco.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
saw it mentioned on news:rec.skiing.resorts.europe after the SCGB closed its doors
latest report
I kind of stared out the window for a bit and 'ping' it just appeared in my head Idea

Then... the agonising anticipation while I found out whether the domain name was available Confused

...et voila snowHead

(there wasn't an option for that on the poll though)
latest report
typed in google 'snow forum'
snow report
I returned from a week in the alpes last season to discover that the SCGB had booted all non members out of their forum Evil or Very Mad
Fortunately Mr Craggs and Mountainmad contacted me and within a couple of days and we were all posting again Smile
It really is quite remarkable how the site has grown. U and his little helpers should be very proud of what has been achieved.
snow conditions
Well you're very kind Mr Oardski, but I think we have our users to thank for what has been achieved snowHead Without such a great bunch this kind of place could soon degenerate into a cess pool of whirling electrons in cyberspace Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I was a member of SCGB on MO day and there were references to snowHeads on there from very early on - I also knew about Alan Craggs www.skicardiff.com site where a forum now exists...

Comment by Alan Craggs:- sorry for butting in here Ian (and thanks for the plug) but that forum, although still in existence, is closed to new postings - all enquiries have been re-directed here snowHead )
ski holidays
Quote:

should we 'artificially' stimulate the growth of the community?

What do you have in mind David ??? A free sticker on joining - doubt if snowHeads has the finances for anything else. Wink The SCGB linking to us (or at least acknowledging us more prominently when they 'borrow' from our posts or links) would definitely help spread the word - but I don't think they will link. A mention in the quality Sundays would be useful publicity and costs nothing but some time and effort. Even if they don't want a full page spread, maybe we could get one to sneak in a mention somewhere.
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, I was thinking of a kind of artificial snowHead gun that blows special snowHead crystals which turn into human beings.
snow report
Ah one of these
ski holidays
Yes, ideal, it probably just requires a simple conversion kit. And I don't know which direction to fire it.

er...any more anecdotes of how we all became snowHeads? I do believe Elisabeth B emailed me in the first instance and then I took the magic crystals.
latest report
The day we were kicked out of "the other place" I logged onto www.skicardiff.com and from there found my way here snowHead
snow conditions
Thank you for the welcome. Revenue generation seems quite important, is accepting skiing advertising a no-no?
latest report
I was emailed by another snowhead when The SCGB website closed to nonmembers saying everyone was now here Cool .
snow report
snowbunny, there are the snowShops - they will give a percentage (typically 1-5%), if anything is bought through snowHeads. I guess that's ski=ing advertising. snowHeads fund raising is generally a rather subtle affair Wink

Currently new snowHeads are arriving at an ever increasing rate; this week 60 joined, last week 50, the week before that 40...this is a relatively recently established increase following the quiet summer months. If we're aiming for higher numbers, we should think about how to maintain snowHeads friendly feel, although I'm happy to talk to any snowHead, sometimes I feel I've lost my old friends in the crowd.

For a historical comparison, this a similar poll started just after snowHeads was born:
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=132
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was a regular contributor to SCGB (under a different name) before MO day, tried to argue the case their to get them to reverse their decision for a couple of days, no luck, had already been told by admin that this was going to happen, so decided to drop in.
snow conditions
From discussion on SCGB site
snow report
Again form discussion on the SCGB site.
Regarding how big? - no more that 5ft!
snow conditions
I saw a mention of it on the internet so I checked it out.
ski holidays
PG told me several times about it. Very Happy

I tell all my friends and clients about it in my newsletters and have a link on my website - I don't know how many people have bothered though (joining that is). I'm desparately trying to get some friends in LDA to join so they can send snow reports while I'm in sunny (?) England! They don't seem to have done it though. Oh well .... you can lead a horse to water etc. Crying or Very sad

I don't see why there should be aby problem with snowheads being bigger, if it continues in the same vein. I do like the stickers idea though as a way of stimulating membership.
latest report
Seem to remember a post on SCGB re 'Its all happening over here"-which,of course,was here;so to speak,if you follow my drift Confused

Busy,at the time,posting against the close off of the forum(weren't we all?)Sadly,to no avail.However,their loss has undoubtedly been our gain.Only one wish now,to see snowHeads continue to grow and grow snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Thanks to the efforts of Liz B!! snowHead
snow conditions
Ian Hopkinson, thanks for flagging that old thread up. Note the 'vote counter' there - - - - Voted : 4 Total Votes : 112. Just a bit off. This one has started to drift too. I think the polls were OK until Admin introduced the multi-vote option; since when the counters sometimes get out-of-step, even on a simple single vote poll. I've mentioned this a couple of times before and I guess it's not a simple fix for Admin. No big deal. About the only glitch there is on the site (apart from the drop down menus in the opinion of some users).
latest report
Epic ski sent me here! Very Happy
latest report
I was getting fed up of Rob being constantly on his Subaru forum and thought I ought to find my own forum. Then it was a case of 'but what am I interested in because I certainly aren't interested in cars', obviously it was skiing, so I used a search engine probably Yahoo but I'm not sure. I just find the amount of knowledge is amazing, from the annual ski holiday people to those who work in the business. Well done to admin
snow conditions
Via RSRE where PG suggested I take a look at snowheads. I've not visited RSRE since that time!
ski holidays
Was a poster on the old scgb forum, but came back from hols to find it shut.........after a few months in wilderness, I think it was an e-mail from laura/ian hopkinson. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy