Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When to assess snow conditions before last minute deal (Easter)

Poster: A snowHead
Planning on booking a last minute holiday for 28th/29th March.

Is it too early to start really paying attention to the snow conditions and forecasts in resorts about 2 weeks before we go (around 14th March and a week before we booked). As I have not been in Easter before do you pay more attention to the 10 day forecast (or is that a waste of time), or base depths, or would I be best not to focus on snow levels but the quality? I skied in Morzine down to resort level a few years w/c 14th March and there was no spring snow at all, but I often wonder how quickly these condition deteriorate in a few weeks.

I have a current list of North facing and or high altitude resorts but obviously need to be very flexible. I am probably overthinking it as we'll have to take what's available! Shocked

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easter is early this year. Wouldn't worry that much.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
early for the next few years too.

@mini_mo, you should have been checking since the start of the season Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Little Martin, but I have! I am checking every hour! It's obsessive Toofy Grin wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go high. Resorts with plenty of skiing above 1800 m You'll be fine Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mini_mo, I've been a few Easters and going again this year. I'd say a week to 10 days before you might have a decent idea of the general situation. If for example conditions are pretty poor by that stage and there isn't a forecast of a big dump in the next 2-3 days, you would logically play it safe and go high. If it's a been a good season and/or the forecast suggests top ups will be occuring it opens up the possibilities.

I have myself been pondering on where we are going at Easter. I'm keen to book accomodation now because even though I will have no problem finding somewhere a week before, the options will be reduced and we may end up with some shabby, a bit of hike to the slopes or whatever. If I was going somewhere iffy I probably be would. But we are angling over to going to Les Coches (Paradiski) in which case it ain't gonna matter. We've been there at a really bad Easter and it was still OK and certainly some of the best available at that time.

Some of the dilemma is down to a bit of confidence knock at Christmas when we had to at the last minute ditch the idea of going to Les 7 Laux (as it wasn't open!) and get a last minute apartment at Tignes. As we DIY it wasn't actually that big a deal or too costly but nevertheless it's kind of making us think of playing it safe.

What is on your list out of interest?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ Layne, We were offered a last minute cancellation for a fully catered chalet in Alpe D'huez over New Year (for sole occupancy at £600 per person!) but didn't go ahead due to conditions. The idea for us is not so much to get a rock bottom bargain deal but more to go where conditions are better of which we can only assess shortly before. I don't want to spoil the holiday by trying to get the cheapest deal. We don't normally do Easter or last minute but it's been a result of various factors this year and I would not normally go for Easter.

I am not so keen on places like Tignes and Val Thorens as I really love treeline skiing (even though I must admit I haven't been to these resorts) but none the less if something comes up we won't dismiss it. We have done PDS too many times (although I love it) but friends not so keen.

Alternate places are (some selected for Northerly aspect slopes, not necessarily altitude):

Montgenevre
Val Cenis
Serre Chevalier
Dolomites - This is a bit of a gamble!
Cervinia
Lech
Obergurgl
Grand Massif area

We are also not discounting driving to slopes if we cannot get a package deal.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mini_mo, we are going to St Anton for the second week of easter school holidays (12th april). Certainly looking at web cams and depths at the moment I can't help feeling rather hopeful.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mini_mo, you can expect anything from -10 to +20 at Easter, fresh powder, perfect snow, slush and all between. But it's still my favourite time of the year to ski!

If I was going last minute I'd be looking at snow depth rather than the forecast which can and will change up until the day you leave...

I wouldn't worry so much about just north facing as if it froze overnight you want to follow the sun and ski south facing early in the day and north facing later on.

So resorts with a good range of slopes that face all directions can be fantastic.

I've skied from Stuben for the past four Easters, and even in two bad snow years (last year for example) had top to bottom skiing (and Stuben is "low" by certain peoples standard on here)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mini_mo, Have you considered Les Arcs? Tree lined skiing in the Vallandry area and fairly snowsure from Arc 1950 upwards. Last April most of the runs were open in Vallandry itself despite the weather being very mild. I'd recommend booking accommodation in Arc 1950 or Arc 2000 to be safe.

We have in the past booked resorts such as Montgenevre, Val Cenis and Les Carroz (Grand Massif) a year in advance for late march/early April and been lucky with the snow. However I don't have a crystal ball to know what they will be like this year!

I have not been to the Italian and Austrian resorts you mention so can't advise on them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
right I've been meaning to do this every time questions about Easter come up!

so pics skiing in the Arlberg, based in Stuben for the past five years are now online

http://greghilton.co.uk/easter-skiing-at-stuben/

Two of those years were VERY poor snow years (2011 and 2014), yet we still had great snow top to bottom
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ Snowymum, I went to Les Arcs last year and had a rather bad crash, knocking myself unconscious Embarassed , so I'm not keen on going back unfortunately, but if something comes up and we have no other choices then I will not disregard.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ kittenski, thats great thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mini_mo, Oh dear! I can see why you're not rushing back there! I think Montgenevre would be a good place to go to build up your confidence again..although check on the Via Lattea thread for snow depths/conditions.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ischgl - guaranteed good non-glacial snow with some tree skiing. Even in week ending 27th April 2014 after a terrible season (snow-wise) we could still ski the home run back to the village.
And that's a month later than this year.

My general tip would be to just book the flights now to a hub airport like Innsbruck then choose nearer the time within 2-3 hours you could choose:

- St Anton, Ischgl, Mayrhofen, Kitzbuhel (at least 75% of austrian resorts depending on conditions)
- Eastern Switzerland inc Davos, St Moritz, Scuol...
- Italian Dolomites, South Tyrol

Same goes for Geneva and take your pick.

At this point though the northern/eastern alps is continuing to have a fantastic season and places such as the Ski Amade and Salzburgerland have great snow levels with more expected which should last (freak weather excepted) to well beyond the end of March. Somewhere like Mayrhofen/Hintertux has tree lined skiing for when conditions are good/really bad (lots of snow!), yet also has a good sized glacier in case of warm weather. Zell am See/Kaprun is similar in this sense. Book flights now and book hotels/apartments 7-10 days before unless you get offered a great deal to book now.
ski holidays
@mini_mo, sounds to me like you should wait until a week before to satisfy yourself conditions are suitable. We went to Paradiski April 9th to 16th 2011. It was latish school holidays and a poor season. It was OK for us because we had small children and there was plenty to ski. But you wouldn't have wanted to go. And it was probably clear from a week out that it was going to be like that. As at the moment we can only go at Christmas or Easter so we are committed and accept what we get. Which to be fair has ranged from excellent to very restricted and everything in between (sometimes in the same week!). Easter isn't as peak as Christmas so there should be deals around.

I like tree skiing aswell and unfortunately for you Paradiski is pretty good in that respect - plus it has the height when needed.

I've only been to one of the resorts you listed but they certainly seem well thought about on here so perhaps wait until 7/10 days beforehand and if conditions are looking good start checking the deals. Things could of course detiorate but life is never perfect right Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@kitenski, That link is not working. Initially it showed various years, but then I had to do some work rolling eyes and when I went back to the web page, it only displayed 1 folder and it goes no-where. If you could fix the link I'd be very grateful. Not sure how to PM you?
latest report
Quote:

@ Snowymum, I went to Les Arcs last year and had a rather bad crash, knocking myself unconscious , so I'm not keen on going back unfortunately

Was your crash the result of something unique to Les Arcs, or could it have happened in any resort?
snow conditions
@mini_mo, hmm. thanks, link should be fixed now?

I put all the pics together now, hover over each one for the year and a bit more description...

Also added videos Smile
snow report
@kitenski, Great thanks very much. It looks great. How many times have you been skiing?!!!!!! Wow! Shock

@boardiac, Pilot error I am afraid. It's not that I don't like Les Arcs, its just I felt it would be better to go elsewhere to help overcome any hang ups - all psychological. As I said though, if a deal came up I'd go and would have to get over it. Smile .
ski holidays
@NickyJ, We are lucky in that our Easter holidays for this year and next are early. w/c 28th this year and something like w/c 25th next year. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
mini_mo wrote:
@NickyJ, We are lucky in that our Easter holidays for this year and next are early. w/c 28th this year and something like w/c 25th next year. Toofy Grin

The advantage of ours being slightly later than most schools is that it is quite a bit cheaper but I need to wait longer and yes taking a slightly more risk on snow.
snow conditions
@mini_mo, I think you are, as you said yourself, over thinking.

End of March is not late. In most resorts snow will still be accumulating as others have mentioned it is depth not fall that makes the difference.

How late you are prepared to wait depends more on how late you are prepared to wait than the weather!

If it is just you or an easy number- i.e. 2 -4 then wait as long as your nerves can stand it and the chances are you will get a bargain.

THink beyond the usual high resorts of the Alps- look at Andorra / Spain/ Austria as well.

End of April is a different question. When you should do what you do - but can also wait and get a deal- we have many times.

Also depends on whether you want a TO flights / accommodation transport or to book your flights. If TO then wait. Alternatively book flights to: Geneva / Grenoble / Innsbruck/ Chambrey- wherever then ask on Chalets Direct solutions room.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy