Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting around Chamonix valley

Poster: A snowHead
I am staying in Les Houches in late February and am keen to explore around the valley. I have a full Mont Blanc pass but no car. I can see lots of buses from Chamonix, but any idea if they stop in les houches or do we need to go to Chamonix first?
Also any recommendations for reasonable priced and reliable transfers from GVA.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't actually know the bus company's name but if you google "Chamonix buses" you'll be able to download a PDF of all the bus routes and timetables within the Chamonix valley.

The transfer companies are much of of muchness – there are so many of them that their rates are competitive. I've always booked through ski-lifts.com (they don't provide transfers themselves but act as an agent).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This should help. There is an extensive and free bus service in chamonix.

http://www.chamonix.net/english/transport/bus
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks I found these sites useful. Has anyone been it was a bit farther afield like courmayeur and vernier by bus from Les houches? Timetables seem to suggest we have to try to Chamonix first to drive back through Les houches!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To go down valley and beyond take the train - For Courmayeur take the train to Cham and the bus for Courmayeur goes form the railway station.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As Idris, said, get yourself to Chamonix train station, which is the departure point for the Courmayeur bus. The Verbier bus leaves from Cham Sud bus stop. While the Coourmayeur bus is daily, the Verbier bus is only on Thursdays. If you want to go to Verbier on any other day of the week, you could take the train to Martigny and then the bus from there to Verbier but that may end up being a bit of a mission.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do NOT mess around with buses. They can take absolutely ages there, especially as they stop so often. And the queues can be horrendous.

If you really want flexibility, hire a car. If there's a few of you, it isn't that expensive - do it at Geneva and use it for your transfers too.

I did Chamonix on the buses once. Never again, ever. Every time since I have hired a car and it has improved the experience immeasurably.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Harry Flashman, can I ask when you were there? As I understand it (we always have the car) the service is recently much improved...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I stayed in Les Houche last March and the bus's were great.Not as crowded as i expected + staying in Les Houches we were some of the first people on.The bus numbers can be confusing though.We got the wrong bus and ended up in Le Tour at 9pm and it was an absolute ghost town.Nowhere open,no one to be seen,no sign of a bus coming and two taxi's failed to show up.After about 2 hours one eventually came which cost us 120euro back to Les Houches.Was a complete nightmare.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@FullyTucked, you what? Deary me that's a mistake.

But hardly the bus's fault?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

cost us 120euro back to Les Houches

and somebody on another thread was moaning about €64 return from Turin to Montgenevre. Laughing

In a place I don't know I always ask the driver whether he's going my way. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I never said it was.I just said the numbers can be a bit confusing.It showed Les Houches as a stop for the number of bus we got on but it didn't go there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

It showed Les Houches as a stop for the number of bus we got on but it didn't go there.

perhaps it had already been?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have form tbh.I once drunkenly got a taxi from Amsterdam to Rotterdam which cost me 180euro.Was by myself as well.That almost ended in me getting arrested Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@FullyTucked, i must look at the buses, I'd be pretty sure the destination was marked, mind you, Les Houches isn'ta lways the end of the line...

I'm guessing you got on a 01 in the wrong direction. (I'd have thought it would have said Le Tour on front as well).

Bummer. You could at least have got the train back into Cham...

Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
FullyTucked, one of the bus routes starts at Les Houches and ends at Le Tour.. The bus rouetes are simply understood. If you look at the route map available at the link posted above, you have to be pretty... erm... drunk (?) to get it wrong wink

I've been coming to Cham for 6 years and find the buses far from a nightmare. Admittedly, when British half term overlaps with French school hols they can be pretty rammed but there's a sweet spot in the timetable when the holidaymakers tend not to use the buses. I'm not telling though Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

you have to be pretty... erm... drunk (?) to get it wrong

Laughing Even with my sketchy knowledge of the chamonix valley I think I'd notice that a bus on which I'd been expected to travel towards Les Houches was trundling along in the entirely opposite direction.

But maybe it was a very foggy night.....
snow report
Thanks all. There's only 3 of us and Car hire from GVA is about 450 euros ( unless anyone can recommend any decent cheap ones?)
Transfers are about 160e and buses pretty cheap so think much better value - if we get the right one!
Will let you know how we get on!
latest report
@nicoledan1, i was randomly looking at car hire from Geneva and a Megane type for a week was around £250...

Which would appeal to me...
snow conditions
@under a new name Definitely who was that with?
latest report
@nicoledan1, thru holidayautos.co.uk. Mind you, can't recall dates. Big weirdness as I haven't used them in ages is they now show the rental company, (good) but there appeared to be multiple different prices for the same offer Puzzled
snow report
We have gone to courmeyer from cham. If you want to take the train, book in advance, we were shut out and needed to go with a griup tour which was much more expensive. Having said that, we loved couymeuer, so definitely go. Was sketchy snow year in cham, but tons of snow on the other side of the tunnel. Ahhh, and the pasta on the mountain at courmeyer, plus chestnuts cooked in lard, oh yes, lardo. Good fun.
snow report
@Redwine, no train to Courmayeur from Chamonix.
ski holidays
@under a new name, really? Maybe it was a public bus? There was a cheaper option than the group coach we took, that much I remember. But my god the food was good in Italy.
snow report
@Redwine, there is a public bus service.
ski holidays
We are seriously looking at car hire now thanks. I found a good price through holiday autos with thrifty Switzerland.
Has anyone else booked with them before?
I can see snow tyres are included.
Does anyone know if thrifty cover you for driving in Switzerland, France and Italy with no extra charges?
Also does thrifty include all things necessary for France driving like breathalysers etc?
Their website and holidayautos isn't helpful....
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Harry Flashman, can I ask when you were there? As I understand it (we always have the car) the service is recently much improved...

March last year. In a car, but buses and queues still looked rubbish.
ski holidays
@nicoledan1, you don't need breathalysers in France, that bit of legislation was dropped or they decided not to enforce it.

The car I booked from Geneva last week through money supermarket was provided by Europecar. It came with winter tyres but we had to pay extra 42chf for them (£35). That charge was pointed out on the website and in the contract so not a surprise. At the pickup I asked about chains and was told they were in the "trunk". Which they were. All in all a good hire experience.

Last year I had a hire car from a different company at geneva that had a limit on the mileage. Fortunately I looked at the speedo and noticed the reading was about 200km more than on the hire agreement. I went back to the office in the car park and got a new contract issued with the right mileage, as otherwise I would have ended up with a surcharge.

It's difficult to say if some of the things that happen are the result of deliberate sharp practice to boost profits but it's always worth carefully looking at the contracts during the booking process, at the pick up and not being too hasty on the return to try and minimise the chances of surcharges.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah, ok, while a fair point, not exactly direct experience is it? @Harry Flashman, ?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 6-02-15 12:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
went in January last year. buses where really easy and efficient. They had electric board showing you were you are so you dont need to worry about getting off in the wrong place.

the bus was free with the lift pass and you can get between all the areas on the mount blanc unlimited pass without issues. I wouldn't bother with courmayeur.. just go to the different areas on the mount blanc unlimited. There is loads to do
snow report
depending on where you are in les houches the train can be a much better option. I always take the train if i'm going to le tour or grand montets from town.
latest report
In argentiereast spring, I don't like taking busses but try we're reasonably regular and easy to use.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy