Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Day trip to Les Arcs with Eurostar - breakfast/ski hire logistics!

Poster: A snowHead
So March 13th, my oldest (8, pretty mature for her age) and I are going to do the Eurostar Les-Arcs-For-A-Day experience. As in, Eurostar out Friday night, Eurostar back Saturday night to arrive Sunday morning. I cannot wait - first proper snow in TWO YEARS (thanks to having a baby!) Not worried about the Eurostar and the "sleeping arrangements" - daughter will sleep anywhere at any angle and a bomb wouldn't wake her, and I'll probably get more sleep by not being on the same landmass as a baby who does not understand this whole sleep thing.

I've read holidaylover's ridiculously useful review which has answered most of my questions and appealed greatly to the microplanner in me especially on a trip where time is so crucial, but I have one planning issue left that requires local knowledge I don't have really, despite searching.

The train gets in on Saturday morning at a stupidly early 6.30am or so. From what I understand, the funicular does not open until 7.30am, and Polaire Star (we need left luggage and rental skis) does not open until 8.30am.

So there are two possible scenarios:

1) Have breakfast in BSM when we arrive, then wander over to the funicular, buy lift pass (discounted thanks to a fab snowHead tip about http://www.samedijeskie.com/) after breakfast, wait outside Polaire Star, rent skis, up mountain on funicular, off we go.

2) Get changed and faff about until the funicular opens at 7.30am, get it up to Les Arcs 1600. Have breakfast there ~7.45ish, then hire skis/leave luggage in Les Arcs 1600 instead (any recommendations?) and off we go.

My decision is dependent upon a few things, namely the availability - or not - of places to eat at those times in either BSM (from 6.30) or 1600 (from 7.40ish) and also the likelihood for queues to rent skis or at the lift office at that time on a Saturday. With option 1, by the time we've had breakfast and wandered over, it will be more like 7.45-8ish, so would there be a big queue at the lift pass office? And with option 2, by the time we've got there and had breakfast we won't be waiting outside the door of a rental place by 8.30am opening time either I am sure - will there be a big queue then?

All (reasonable!) thoughts welcome including solutions I've not thought of too! And eatery recommendations would be fabulous as well, mainly breakfast but lunch on the mountain and dinner in BSM too that won't mind a very well-behaved 8 year old. We're only there for the day after all, it's a special treat for both of us so we want to make the absolute most of it.

Plus recommendations for nice blues/not too hectic reds that would suit improving intermediates that haven't been on a mountain for two years (even if we've been in and out of Hemel plenty!) welcome too!

Thank you! snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last time I did the overnight Eurostar, there was a cafe open by the station when we arrived. You just walked through the bus station outside the train station and it was by the roundabout. Fairly basic but it did a pain au chocolat and strong coffee
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you, that's very useful to know! I imagine I will be making good use of coffee throughout the day, funnily enough..!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
also, I've never experienced much of a queue buying passes at the funicular - maybe 2 or 3 people in front of me
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
no recommendations @sparklies, as I don't know Les Arcs but it sounds a fabulous adventure for you both - do write it up for us. And have a great day. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry I cannot answer the main questions, but I can support @Arno's , recommendation of Le Tonneau for breakfast and coffee. For a nice warm up run try going up the Mont Blanc chair lift (the first one you come to from the top of the funicular) and down the run of the same name.

I hope you enjoy the day.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sparklies, Sounds a great plan. Unfortunately the runs in 1600 might not be the best to warm up on (although I'm sure you'd manage them). I would head over to Vallandry and do the long blue there followed by a red if things are going well. Then take the Transarc up to the top and ski from the Col towards Arc 1950/2000. You could stop for lunch at the café in the middle of the piste that looks like an igloo above Arc 2000..they do cheap pizzas there. If time you could then take a lift back up and do a bit round Arc 1800 before heading back to the funicular.

Please post a trip report if you have time as I was on the verge of booking the day trip for this weekend but bottled out for a couple of reasons! I have travelled on the overnight Eurostar before and preferred it to a sleeper despite sleeping in seats, but have never done it for the one day trip.

Hope you both have a lovely time. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sparklies, @snowymum's "igloo" is also known as the Mushroom, is a brilliant place, and its official name is the Bulle. Even on a Saturday however, it will get crowded, so either stop early or late.

Other good places for lunch include Blanche Muree, on the route between 1800 and Peisey, or Arpette, just below the snowpark on the 1600-1800 front side. Or the restaurants in 1950 are ski in ski out.

Another vote for le Tonneau in BSM on the roundabout - and you can walk directly down the "arc en ciel" road to the funi station from there without having to go over the bridges.
Funicular first arrival in 1600 is 07:35, which would suggest it leaves at 07:28... don't miss it by 2 mins! and FYI, the down funiculars are :20, :40 and on the hour until 8pm, then 8:30 and 9pm , (Saturdays only). 7 mins trip. Getting on the Eurostar takes some time, as you have customs / security to go through, as well as a lot of people with a lot of luggage. Best not to cut it too fine.

As above, have a great trip! - and do write up your report.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sparklies, evening meal: - you can try either Tonneau - again - or we like Le Cozy, which is about 50-100m further down the main road on the LHS. you can find it on googlemaps. Slightly more upmarket.

The Mont Blanc run is a good started - albeit the first 800m can be a bit hard work for a warm up - they cut a new section into the mountain a couple of years ago when they isntalled the new lift, and it is probably the toughest bit of the run. But once you get to the tree line, it is the most glorious run for swooping back and forth. So don't be put off!

@snowymum, I reckon you could do the Austerlitz sleeper train - I too might consider the possibilites for a one day trip.

Ar
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Arctic Roll, Maybe I was unclear but I was saying I like the Eurostar overnight ski train better than the traditional sleeper. It is also nice not having to change in Paris with skis etc!

Thank you for reminding me of the name of the Bulle restaurant.

I agree that Mont Blanc is lovely and very scenic. Although when I warmed up on it last year I struck a large chunk of ice left by the piste basher and had a hard landing on the morning corduroy! Laughing Years ago I remember skiing the red next to it and I'm sure it was pisted then. Have they left more runs unpisted in recent years?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I cant recommend anywhere yet but I'm doing the one day trip this weekend. Should be fun! Ill let you know if I find a particularly good place to go for breakfast.

Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowymum, The Mont Blanc piste takes a new gentle line to the east of the deux tetes black piste. As @Arctic Roll, says it was cut into the mountain in 2012. The top is on the steep side for a blue (and very steep if you turn onto the remnants of the Deux Tetes piste) but is very enjoyable and not too crowded.

There are two red runs which could be considered "next to" Mont Blanc: one is the Arrolle piste from the top of the Cachette chair which joins Mont Blanc almost at the bottom, this is usually pisted daily but can have some small bumps if it snowed during the night; the other is Malgovert which starts from the top of the Combourcier chair lift and joins Mont Blanc at the top of the old chair lift. This one is never pisted and only accessible from the Arc2000 side of the mountain.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@snowymum, Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did option 2 on my second day trip. Mainly so I wasn't dashing vack before polaire star closed. I keft my bag in the ski hire shop. Can't remember where I had dinner the second tim but it was a littke restaurant on the road out to moutiers. Very near the roundabout the first on the left of a row of restos
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Brilliant, thanks everyone! It goes without saying I'll do a trip report - I did rather an epic one last time for La Plagne but we were there a week so hopefully it won't be quite as long-winded as that one was!!

@Arno, that makes my decision a little easier knowing there is not much of a queue for the lift pass.

@pam w, thank you! I did do a three night break on my own back in 2013 as the children couldn't ski then, so I'm thrilled to have company this time. Really looking forward to spending time with my oldest as well as the younger three are all quite attention-demanding for various different reasons, she's not, and she is overdue a bit of fuss.

@johnE, thank you for the recommendations - glad to have another one for the cafe and one for a good warm up run!

@snowymum, I can totally see why you have a bad memory of Mont Blanc! Ouch on the corduroy. I can just imagine my thoughts actually, after two years of staring at Hemel and then seeing what is supposed to be a blue looking quite steep.. so I'm glad everyone has clarified it's only the top bit that is steep! I can cope with that Very Happy And it will certainly warm up the muscles.. Thank you for the restaurant recommendation too.

@Arctic Roll, fab, thank you for those recommendations too! We'll probably end up getting lunch early and have a mid afternoon pitstop somewhere as well so long as we've not overstuffed ourselves at breakfast. After all part of the trip is not just about the skiing, it's about the food as well. If we go for the breakfast in Les Arcs option I'll be sure to be at the lift office in plenty of time although right now I'm leaning toward the Polaire Star option with breakfast at le Tonneau.

@Pezza26, have a fabulous time! I look forward to hearing how you found it!

@holidayloverxx, which ski hire place did you use the second time? I see Polaire Star shuts at 7pm, I was assuming we wouldn't be in a hurry by that point so it wouldn't be an issue (lifts long since closed, and we'd want to get in somewhere early for dinner) but am I missing something? I loved your review, it gave me the confidence to give it a try!
ski holidays
@sparklies, one at the top of the funi..there are a couple. I just asked if I could leave my bag..there were a few there. I got changed in the toilet at a bar next doorish at the end of the day. Polaire star used to close earlier so I would stick with them if they open till 7 now.

Have fun...
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, ah cool - glad to know it was because the closing time was a lot earlier. In which case, I think I'll go for the Polaire Star option like you did with your first trip only with ski hire! I was tempted to bring our own skis as they've not seen snow outside of Hemel, but it's a lot of lugging around.

Thanks!! Happy
latest report
All good points. To add. They sometimes run extra Funiculars on Saturdays to cope with arrivals and departures. They don't put them in the timetables, so I suspect they decide at the time if they are busy. At 7:30 in the morning it will be people leaving Arc1600 that will fill up a funicular. Other than that they stick strictly to the 00 20 40 minutes past the hour schedule once they are up and running.

Another thing to look out for on a Saturday is the coach shuttle from the station to the funicular - I've no idea what the timetable is, or even if it starts as early as 7:30. It's a short walk but you might find the coach handy. It leaves from outside the station, all the coach bays have destinations showing on a display - look for Funicular.

The Mont Blanc run is a great blue to start the day, I have always found it well pisted first thing. You will find blues with tougher sections as you tour the area.
snow conditions
That's good to know - so hopefully we won't be waiting too long to get on the funicular after getting our skis. Will definitely be keeping an eye open for the coach shuttle. Even if we won't have our own skis, we'll be lugging the boot bag around with both our boots in. Okay, I will be. So all energy saved for the skiing is very welcome!

Thank you!!
snow conditions
@sparklies, it's probably a little navette not a big coach
snow report
The one I saw two weeks ago was a normal "transfer" sized coach. It was just leaving the station bays and it was empty.
latest report
@AndrewsPeppers, more up to date info tgan mine
latest report
@sparklies, So... how was it? Really looking forward to the trip report!
snow report
Yes, it was a big sized coach and in bay 18 for the record! Right around the back and hiding. For as long as that info remains relevant anyway..!

Trip report is up if you haven't seen it already! Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy