Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who's doing the madness run this weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm guess I'm not the only one running through the checklist for loading the car this Friday, and I guess we're not the only family with an early evening Chunnel crossing.

I think a secret Masonic style acknowledgement of other snowheads en route, at the Chunnel, on the autoroute and in rest areas would be cool, not unlike the VW camper owners do with each other.

I will start the ball rolling. Leaving Cambridgeshire for a 7pm ish crossing, St Quentin overnight and then the long drive, shopping at Bourg and finally to Arc 1950. Silver Mercedes GL, one of those privatish plates (you know what I mean) with massive roof box and three large ski bags aloft. Six up including mum, dad and those that won't leave home!!!!

Honk, hoot, flash if you're a snowhead.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My daughter leaves with the coach journey Friday lunchtime. 24 hours to Austria! Over £800. But they have blagged a 4* hotel that looks amazing. Would be off with them myself if I didn't have an 8 year old to organise.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll be going the pub to watch CANV CANVINGTONs favourite thieving scumbags thrash those southern softies in the cup Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't forget your chains!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Me , but I'm heading back to the uk Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We'll be heading across early on Friday and then joining the usual Saturday madness with everyone else. Picking up supplies in Moutiers before heading up to Meribel.

Some kind of acknowledgment would be handy. Something that's not obviously dodgy would be helpful.

Is everything nice and calm now on Eurotunnel? No need to approach via the back roads?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
trying to beat the rush by crossing at 06:40 Friday ,Hoping the drive down won't be too busy Little Angel
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hoping to leave London around 2:30-3pm and hit a crossing as early as possible, depending on traffic that might be around the same kind of time as you wink. Silver Mercedes E-Class Estate on a private plate (W reg, it spells my wife's name), say hello if you see us!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I refused point blank to go Chunnel given previous, multiple 6 hour delays at school holiday time. Now looking at storm coming in Friday night so in BIG trouble with the boss Sad If we make it we're 6 up in disco with big silver trailer. Please provide assistance if I'm being cudgelled to death by a very cross looking blonde!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
09:50 eurotunnel on Friday morning, overnight at Dole (just past Dijon) then on to Les Contamines early (possibly v.early if forecast firms up) Saturday morning. Silver Disco, reg includes my name....ish.... 4LAN
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Half hand. A quick search got me on track with your post! Btw had you already been in the pub when you posted?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not sure it would suit me!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Motorhome SF08 ... booked onto tunnel at noon Friday, hoping for an earlier crossing. Will see you all in the Peage jams later on and Bourg St Maurice very very very later on.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just seen a tweet from Eurotunnel that they are trialing the Exit Checks this Friday - given that appears to mean all passports will be checked as you leave the country, rather than the current waved through approach, I would be inclined to think there may be delays.

However as is a trial suspect would be dropped if causing lengthy queues.

But as this goes live in April - we shall see what impact it has

Apologies but DM is only link to hand from quicjk google http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2948940/Holidaymakers-face-long-queues-passport-checks-people-LEAVING-Britain-start-April.html
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well, I just got a message from my son's school that I can't take him out even half an hour early. "The school will not grant this request for leave. The school does not grant leave for family holidays and we cannot make an exception in this case. I can understand your eagerness to avoid traffic, but this isn't something for which we can grant absence".

So we'll probably be too late coming out of London to not get stuck in traffic and make a late evening crossing... *sigh*
latest report
@Szymon, what did you expect? They can't give him authorised absence, just take it unauthorised. But might as well be hanged for a sheep -- made it a couple of hours. wink
ski holidays
@Szymon, personally I'd check your LA policy about absence very carefully - the South Northants one makes it clear that fines will only be used once you breach 10-days
ski holidays
You have to admire dogmatic adherence to trivial rules. And by "admire" I mean "hunt down the miscreants and set fire to their toenails".
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
@Szymon, what did you expect? They can't give him authorised absence, just take it unauthorised. But might as well be hanged for a sheep -- made it a couple of hours. wink

The school he goes to won't even let him off the premises without agreement and explanation! I guess I could just not send him in at all on the day, but I want my younger son to get into the same school next year (it's one of the best in the country) so I don't want to make waves! C'est la vie -- we'll stand in the queues with all the other people...
ski holidays
@Szymon, Just ignore them and take Friday off. If they get arsey just be very firm and polite and they'll give up after they have been seen to have made their point.
latest report
We are on a 10.20am tunnel on Saturday morning, so on the Calais roads at about midday local time.

I HOPE that means we will not hit the major bottlenecks as they will have been a few hours in front of us.

We are on our way to Switz' and will turn off to go over the Jura at Dijon, so that should avoid the other major congestion zones further on.

We've never driven on THE half term Saturday before!
snow report
My two always get a mysterious bug on the Friday before Easter. Toofy Grin Easier now that we can email the school regarding the 'illness' - always seems 'less wrong'.
snow conditions
En route to the Chunnel. Will update on the passport checks situation when we get there. Had read similar online but I tend to take stuff the Chunnel say with a pinch of salt.
ski holidays
@ringingmaster, I suspect ours will catch the same bug this year.
ski holidays
On the train. Waved straight through, despite my best attempts to wave my passport at the man in the booth. They were checking cars at random but certainly not everyone.
snow conditions
@Szymon, Remind them of that e mail next team the teachers go on strike! Every second counts in education........
snow report
@lampygirl, I guess that's because the extra checks start tomorrow Laughing
snow conditions
came back today roads empty for those money concious the diesel at the leclerc Reims junction 23 (24hr) was 1.15 e /litre
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blue XC70 Ocean Race with big roofbox LC55
First outing for the new car - Been in a petrol XC previously averaging about 23MPG!!
Can wait for the fill up at Leclerc - Thats 85P a litre!!
Picking brats up @12, then straight to tunnel for 2PM crossing (ish).
Dinner stop @ Leclerc then straight through to Bourg - All being well will hit the slopes about 11 tomorrow before a 3 hour private lesson on steep bumps - wish me luck!!
snow report
@brock, at New Year diesel was 1.01 euro a litre in Luxembourg NehNeh
snow report
@AthersT, but I'd pay a bit extra to avoid driving through Luxembourg. Pretty awful roads last time I headed south through Belgium and Luxembourg to Switzerland.
snow conditions
18.10 flight to Geneva tonight to avoid all the Saturday madness. And to sneak a quiet day on the slopes before you lot arrive!!
ski holidays
Not driving but joining the madness at Gatwick on Sunday morning rolling eyes - we've never been at 1/2 term before and it's now the only way we can ski with teacher friends of ours. Hopefully Sunday will be quieter than Saturday Puzzled
snow report
Quote:

it's now the only way we can ski with teacher friends of ours.

your friends are lucky to have you! Yes, Sunday will be quieter than Saturday, on the roads in France if not at Gatwick.
ski holidays
@pam w, the roads were fine for me but we were driving to Austria and a few miles extra was definitely worth it for that ultra cheap fuel. The weather was terrible (snow NehNeh) so driving at warp speed all the way was out of the question anyway.
snow report
Quote:
your friends are lucky to have you!
thank you @pam w,

Although we always fly ,we try to use Sunday-Sunday TOs as it seems to make the unpleasantness of airports at either end easier together with faster flowing transfers. Plus empty pistes on the last day (Saturday) of our week Laughing
latest report
@Mark B, my daughter and SiL are teachers - they had hoped to be able to do a "boys trip then girls trip" with non teaching friends, with their four children being looked after first by the two Mums, then the two Dads. Unfortunately they teach in different local authorities and didn't have the same Easter holidays. rolling eyes They would never go skiing at half term these days - they would find it too much of a panic, and they don't like big crowds, but without kids everything becomes easier!

Have a great trip. Especially on Saturday. A good plan - can't think why anyone with a choice would travel on Saturday. I did a Sunday airport pick up at Christmas (much less busy than half term) and had to queue off the motorway to get into the airport and then cruise round the underground car park for a while, looking for a space. Next time they can get on ChamExpress and I'll pick up in Sallanches.
snow conditions
I admire how honest you all are with kids teachers. Can`t you pull the sickie card like adults do?
ski holidays
Defintely not partaking in the madness of the half term dash to the French Alps. Saving our trip to the week before Easter when hopefully a little quieter.

Safe journeys to all those embarking on the drive Alpwards from Calais over the next couple of days.
snow conditions
Keep us all posted you AutoRoute warriors. Having done this myself several times I know exactly what it can be like and I'm sure they'll be a few sagas along the way

We're going to be in northern Finland so (obviously) not driving
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy