Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving from Vegas to Lake Tahoe

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Has anyone driven from Vegas to Lake Tahoe ?

I've been searching for routes but they all go through Yosemite which is closed in the winter!

Any tips would be great.

Thanks

Andy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
US 95 past Indian Springs, past the Test site, (a few small towns) to Tonopah, Hawthhorne, and Schults. Then take Alt 95 to Yarington, then south to Wellington. Then Nevada 208 to US 395 @ Gardnerville. Take 395 North towards Carson City. On the south side of CC Turn left & take US 50 into South Lake Tahoe.

Except for US 50, the drive is all in deserdt, & usually good raods.
MG
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some other tips (I did the drive from LA to Tahoe in winter a few years back)
- get a decent 4x4 (may sound stupid, but I know someone who hired a Mustang from Vegas to drive to Mono lake...)
- I think you're mandated to have 'winter' tyres OR chains.
- make sure you know where the petrol stations are (get a decent road map, or a jerry can)
- don't try to rush - the distances are huge in the US, and whilst the roads can be empty, the weather can be a lot more severe than the UK.

take a camera - some of the desert is incredibly impressive, especially at sunrise/sunset

I ended up buying a thermos at one fuel stop, and filling it with coffee... crap coffee, but knowing I had a hot drink was reassuring.

Enjoy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thats great thanks.

We have a 4x4 booked

Andy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andywrx, It's a doddle really. Directions as per Mountaingator. And good advice about fuel and FOOD! First trip to Lost Wages with a couple of mates quite some years ago now. We skipped breakfast deciding to get something along the way....WRONG! there's an awful lot of nothing along the way. If you're thinking of stopovers try to book in advance. Places like Furnace Creek in Death Valley get booked up with "snow geese".(Folk from up north spending their winter months in warmer climes). We stopped over in Lone Pine on the 395.Motel in the middle of town.(v. small town) We woke to stunning views of Mt. Whitney.(13000+ft i think). This original trip got me hooked on Squaw Valley and touring around the southwest US in general.Also, like Hamilton says, Its a journey best not rushed.(Nevada speeding fines another story). There's some stunning (remote) scenery, and you could take the scenic route around the lake.
ps, see if you can blag a couple of rough guides,California & SW USA. (handy reading)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the tips.

We are planning on doing it in a day, is that practical? Was planning to leave early in the morning (After breakfast now!!)

Andy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andywrx, think that would be possible in a day, but a very long one! Would recommend some skiing in Mammoth on the way past though!

Earlier this year my wife and i did the drive from Lake Tahoe to Mammoth one day after a few days skiing, then did some more skiing in Mammoth and had a great time. We then headed south! Not all the way to Vegas, just far enough to cut across the mountains.

As already mentioned the scenery can be stunning, try and stop at Mono Lake if you get a chance......
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andywrx, Its a long drive for one days driving. Mammoth isn't a huge detour for you. One thing to consider, these are all unlit roads with minimal markings. Not a lot of fun with tired eyes. Chill out/ smell the coffee etc. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy